What do recruits really hear? | The Boneyard

What do recruits really hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Once in awhile, as is happening now on the ND - Game More Important thread, there is discussion on what recruiters might be saying to prospective scholarship players.

For myself, I was never recruited, nor were any of my kids. Our expertise is limited to cheering our favorite teams! So, I am wondering - what kinds of things do recruiters from big time programs really say to entice a high schooler to their program?

Surely, some of my fellow Boneyarders, either as athletes yourselves or as parents of a sought after player, have some first hand experience in this area! What's the real scoop? ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Coach - so, I'm sure one of your concerns is the conference schedule you would be playing.

Player - no, not really.

Coach - come on. You must care. It's so important

Player - no, not really. It's about 10th on my list after education, coaching staff, chance to win, my teammates, preparation for a career in basketball, improvement in my game. I'm sure there are others.

Coach - come on. Conference has to be before some of those.

Player - not really

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I have never had a daughter recruited for BB, but I have for other sports. All I can say is that coaches will pull out everything that they can think of to sell their school, whether it be the great sports facilities, the best looking library in America, or proximity to a cool place like NYC.

I think Geno probably accentuates the UConn record, the great teammates, the high probability of winning a national championship or two or three or four during your college career, the chance to develop into a WNBA prospect even if you aren't one of the top 10 players in your class, the rabid fan base, free tours of the ESPN studios followed by pizza with some WCBB legends, a superb schedule around the country against some top teams along with trips to Florida and California in the middle of winter, and the excellence of certain Storrs eating establishments. I am sure he tries to distance the school from any connection with online sports forums of ill repute. Not naming names here.

A little further west out in Indiana the coach might talk about how the school won an NC when the recruit was in nursery school, that they have a wonderful mascot that is the perfect candidate for a few rounds of Irish knock-down, they had a guy named Rudy, and that gets to play a lot of games down in the turpentine and palmetto states. And that's really special.

Reaction Score
A little further west out in Indiana the coach might talk about how the school won an NC when the recruit was in nursery school, that they have a wonderful mascot that is the perfect candidate for a few rounds of Irish knock-down, they had a guy named Rudy, and that gets to play a lot of games down in the turpentine and palmetto states. And that's really special.

LOL...you're a fool...you act like BB is what it's all about. If you really want to know what ND tells/sells to it's recruits, it's this...it's NOT a four-year decision, it's a 40-year decision. Sure you're most likely going to win a NC or several playing for Geno, but down the road, your boss will probably be a ND grad. I am not making this stuff up. I have friends who have kids that have been recruited in various athletic programs at ND. This is one of the primary selling points when talking to recruits. A couple of decades down the road, those NC rings and staff to mid-level management job pales in comparison to the six-digit executive salary the ND grads are pulling in.

There is a reason that ND is one of the most hated Universities, yet one of the most powerful. Just saying...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL...you're a fool...you act like BB is what it's all about. If you really want to know what ND tells/sells to it's recruits, it's this...it's NOT a four-year decision, it's a 40-year decision. Sure you're most likely going to win a NC or several playing for Geno, but down the road, your boss will probably be a ND grad. I am not making this stuff up. I have friends who have kids that have been recruited in various athletic programs at ND. This is one of the primary selling points when talking to recruits. A couple of decades down the road, those NC rings pale and mid-level management job pales in comparison to the six-digit executive salary the ND grads are pulling in.

There is a reason that ND is one of the most hated Universities, yet one of the most powerful. Just saying...
One more reason to dislike arrogant ND.

Reaction Score
My daughter was recruited as a D1 soccer player but not at an elite level like UCONN recruits. It was pretty straight forward. No promises other than she would get a good education and have to work hard to earn time. In the end, she choose not to play anywhere and concentrate on school. A Phi Beta Kappa key an 2 Masters degrees later she is making $41 an hour. Maybe she will think of Dear Old Dad and the 120K it cost me when she decided not to play soccer!

Seriously, Anyone Geno recruits is on a different level with far different expectations than the average D1 player in any women's sport. The one thing you can count on is Geno will tell it like it is and not make any promises.

Reaction Score
t down the road, your boss will probably be a ND grad.

I didn't realize there were so many Notre Dame grads coaching in the WNBA & Euro-league.

And I bet that Duke tells their recruits that they may be a supervisor with a ND degree but that if they go to Duke they'll be the CEO.

Reaction Score
One more reason to dislike arrogant ND.

Hey hypocrite, read this board and look in the mirror. How many behave and talk on this board toward UConn WBB is how ND conducts itself on a much larger scale about life in general. Overall, we are no better than the Summitteers during their glory years. Unfortunately, Geno won't be around forever, and inevitably we will have to sleep in the bed we made. My wish is that The Boneyard could be THE ambassador for WCB, appreciating all that is good about the game we love versus focusing on self-love...instead, we are The Summitt 2.0.

Reaction Score
Hey hypocrite, read this board and look in the mirror. How many behave and talk on this board toward UConn WBB is how ND conducts itself on a much larger scale. We are no better than the Summitteers during their glory years. Unfortunately, Geno won't be around forever, and inevitably we will have to sleep in the bed we made. My wish is that The Boneyard could be THE ambassador for WCB, appreciating all that is good about the game we love versus focusing on self-love...instead, we are The Summitt 2.0.
Go home. This isn't where you belong. We have nothing to do with CR. Those decisions were made without one thought about women's sports. The BE could have been a successful place, if ND had decided to play football, but they were too important to do that. ND has enough money to get whatever it wants, almost whenever it wants... just not football (anymore), or wbb until UConn is gone. ND took the path of least resistance and helped destroy UConn and the Big East.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Hey hypocrite, read this board and look in the mirror. How many behave and talk on this board toward UConn WBB is how ND conducts itself on a much larger scale about life in general. Overall, we are no better than the Summitteers during their glory years. Unfortunately, Geno won't be around forever, and inevitably we will have to sleep in the bed we made. My wish is that The Boneyard could be THE ambassador for WCB, appreciating all that is good about the game we love versus focusing on self-love...instead, we are The Summitt 2.0.
Golly, thank you for letting us know how you feel about us.

Please feel free to start a board that meets your requirements.

Reaction Score
Golly, thank you for letting us know how you feel about us.

Please feel free to start a board that meets your requirements.

Another example of this board being The Summitt 2.0. "You don't agree with our group think mentality, so we don't like you...go away". Thanks for supporting my point DD!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
LOL...you're a fool...you act like BB is what it's all about. If you really want to know what ND tells/sells to it's recruits, it's this...it's NOT a four-year decision, it's a 40-year decision. Sure you're most likely going to win a NC or several playing for Geno, but down the road, your boss will probably be a ND grad. I am not making this stuff up. I have friends who have kids that have been recruited in various athletic programs at ND. This is one of the primary selling points when talking to recruits. A couple of decades down the road, those NC rings and staff to mid-level management job pales in comparison to the six-digit executive salary the ND grads are pulling in.

Well sure, if you're daughter wants to be a nun, by all means go to ND, where her likely boss will be a Fighting Irish grad. Or maybe in firms that specialize in communications towers that go "Timberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!" But in the real world of other jobs, her boss is as likely to be a UConn grad as an ND grad. But maybe in Hooter's joints where the waitresses tend to be not from UConn, maybe there the Irish have a leg up, or possibly another piece of the anatomy up.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have never had a daughter recruited for BB, but I have for other sports. All I can say is that coaches will pull out everything that they can think of to sell their school, whether it be the great sports facilities, the best looking library in America, or proximity to a cool place like NYC.

I think Geno probably accentuates the UConn record, the great teammates, the high probability of winning a national championship or two or three or four during your college career, the chance to develop into a WNBA prospect even if you aren't one of the top 10 players in your class, the rabid fan base, free tours of the ESPN studios followed by pizza with some WCBB legends, a superb schedule around the country against some top teams along with trips to Florida and California in the middle of winter, and the excellence of certain Storrs eating establishments. I am sure he tries to distance the school from any connection with online sports forums of ill repute. Not naming names here.

And fries from Wendy's!!!!!!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Reminder - politics and religion "discussion" are not for this board and need to be over on the off topic board.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You have got to be kidding me. Stray Cat you may have strayed from the bounds of anything rational, but by all means post away on the Summitt (cough up a little moolah to do so) and see how much discussion of any sentience you get. Look, the BY is not the pinnacle of human wisdom, but the fact that it suffers even the Irish fools pretty gladly without accusing you of being homophobic but homophilic, humorless but "why don't you get our Tennessee type of humor," and ignorant but fact-peddling idiot is at least something.

And remember, one person's arrogance is another person's gnawing jealousy. I wasn't born a Yankee fan, so I can understand where your comments come from, but I try to have enough sense not to delve too deeply into places where I just look really bad.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Another example of this board being The Summitt 2.0. "You don't agree with our group think mentality, so we don't like you...go away". Thanks for supporting my point DD!
Bullsh$t.

You call someone a hypocrite, someone a fool, you don't like how this board is.

So you expect to be welcomed with open arms?

Reaction Score
Hey DD, just pointing out the similarities to the BY vs. The Summitt. "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

And by the way, thanks for the x-mas card DD although I really didn't need to see you in that Elf outfit, although my five-year old niece thought you looked cute. (CLICK HERE)

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Just pointing out the similarities DD to the BY vs. The Summitt. "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".
Which is why ND hasn't been able to win any NC games in the last 10 years.

Some teams learn what to do there and go undefeated. How that reflects on how BY fans react to ND fans who have little factual to say but are quite willing to hurl the backside blarney, I can't really say. But as you say, the Summitt 2.0 has welcoming arms and is always looking for guys like you to do a Deliverance 2.0 with them.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just pointing out the similarities DD to the BY vs. The Summitt. "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".
I can make a longer list of what is different.

Certainly on the Summitt you can call coaches names. On here, if you call the Tennessee coach Worlock or whatever you called her, you are asked not to do it. On the Summitt it's not only allowed, the moderator does it as well.

This team is amazing this year. It's difficult not to post with "self-love".

You seem to have no issues acting "summitt like" whenever Tennessee is the topic. Nasty, nasty and more nasty.

Reaction Score
Which is why ND hasn't been able to win any NC games in the last 10 years.

Dude, is that all UConn is about and cares about...WBB? Really? I thought our beloved University was more than a WBB team...please prove me wrong? This recent discussion got started when I referenced ND recruiting mantra "A 40 year decision", and all you can talk about when discussing UConn is WBB. Please tell me you and many others on this board are a little deeper than that.

HGN

Reaction Score
Recruits hear what they want to hear.....If they want to play for ND they hear and believe all that Muffet has to say. The same for MD and Frese. The same for UConn and Geno. The clear difference is that Geno and UConn has the FF's and the NC's to back up his claims, and is clearly still on the rise. Most of the top powers and institutions can offer a good quality education. All of the coaches will claim that their school offers a top notch education, and all do. It's whether the recruit hears the claim and believes it.

But only UConn can currently claim 6 consecutive FF's and thus a chance for a NC and a quality education.

Reaction Score
It's it time to spade this cat?

More support of my point..."crucify whoever doesn't buy into our group think mentality...because you aren't a true UConn fan unless you conform to the norm". BY = Summitt 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom