What did UCONN do to the ACC? | The Boneyard

What did UCONN do to the ACC?

Reaction Score
UConn didn’t do anything to the ACC. UConn just doesn’t move the tv/media needle to make financial sense to add to the ACC. It‘s no one’s fault, it’s just business.

Reaction Score
A mix of Boston College being scared and FSU/Clemson not wanting to deal with our football program. These invitations have to be unanimous, and unfortunately we seem to have a major roadblock in every single conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A mix of Boston College being scared
I don't buy this. Even the dopiest of BCU folks realize that cutting loose from UConn was a mistake. They get stronger to second UConn gets into the ACC. Cuse, too.

Reaction Score
The window closed.

Hard feelings from Blumie’s lawsuit plus the NCAA stuff around the hoop program killed us in 2011 and we’re just not on intersecting paths now.
That’s only because the ACC is avoiding us.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What did UConn do to piss off the ACC?

We beat Duke's unbeatable team in 1999.

We beat Duke again (and then ACC school Georgia Tech) in 2004.

We continued winning national championships after everyone thought we fell off the map (in 2010 they started writing the obituary), after we were relegated to the AAC and then we went out and did it again this past season.

Reaction Score
I’

In 2011 Clemson and FSU woke up one day and realized UConn was about to be added.

They were worried about the ACC’s place in the universe as a waning football power. So they freaked out and forced the conference to add Louisville because they felt they had better football.

We also beat Louisville in football that year. The whole thing is really dumb.

Reaction Score
What did UConn do to piss off the ACC?

We beat Duke's unbeatable team in 1999.

We beat Duke again (and then ACC school Georgia Tech) in 2004.

We continued winning national championships after everyone thought we fell off the map (in 2010 they started writing the obituary), after we were relegated to the AAC and then we went out and did it again this past season.
Duke and Tobacco Road was your strongest advocates last time round. The Miami and VPI additions flopped in football while Clemson and FSU stunk. So football decided the problem with the league was obviously basketball-related, and went all-in on Louisville.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don't buy this. Even the dopiest of BCU folks realize that cutting loose from UConn was a mistake. They get stronger to second UConn gets into the ACC. Cuse, too.
Didn’t ESPN tell them to vote against adding UCONN?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn didn’t do anything to the ACC. UConn just doesn’t move the tv/media needle to make financial sense to add to the ACC. It‘s no one’s fault, it’s just business.
But Stanford and Cal do?

CL82

Reaction Score
I’

In 2011 Clemson and FSU woke up one day and realized UConn was about to be added.

They were worried about the ACC’s place in the universe as a waning football power. So they freaked out and forced the conference to add Louisville because they felt they had better football.

We also beat Louisville in football that year. The whole thing is really dumb.
I think they were more worried about exerting power in the conference. They were tired of the Tobacco Road influence and flexed their muscles to bring in Louisville. There also is the perception that Connecticut's got no place to go and therefore will always be available, which, as it turns out, hasn't been inaccurate.

It's been a lot of things that have combined to undercut us including having a stadium in East Hartford and it's always decision not to play in 2020. None of them are a true indication of our "value" as a program, as can be seen by the recent ranking of our school as the #12 ranked sports program in the country, but collectively each separate thing as cost us. I truly wonder if the stars will ever align for us to move back into a major conference.

But here's the thing, if ESPN says we're in a conference tomorrow, we are in a conference tomorrow. They are the ones writing the checks and they have a fairly absolute say about our future. Since they are the ones who wrote the checks for the evisceration of the old the Big East, they are the ones that started the chain of events that put us in our current situation.

Reaction Score
I think they were more worried about exerting power in the conference. They were tired of the Tobacco Road influence and flexed their muscles to bring in Louisville. There also is the perception that Connecticut's got no place to go and therefore will always be available, which, as it turns out, hasn't been inaccurate.

It's been a lot of things that have combined to undercut us including having a stadium in East Hartford and it's always decision not to play in 2020. None of them are a true indication of our "value" as a program, as can be seen by the recent ranking of our school as the #12 ranked sports program in the country, but collectively each separate thing as cost us. I truly wonder if the stars will ever align for us to move back into a major conference.

But here's the thing, if ESPN says we're in a conference tomorrow, we are in a conference tomorrow. They are the ones writing the checks and they have a fairly absolute say about our future. Since they are the ones who wrote the checks for the evisceration of the old the Big East, they are the ones that started the chain of events that put us in our current situation.

Isn’t that just exact what I said except with just more words:)?

They had that power because the primacy of football had established itself. And the hoop schools had to keep them appeased.

CL82

Reaction Score
Isn’t that just exact what I said except with just more words:)?

They had that power because the primacy of football had established itself. And the hoop schools had to keep them appeased.
Sometimes more is better. ;)

I'll get the sense from your post that FSU woke up and said oh my God we don't want to be in a conference with Connecticut, we hate them. I think it was more like oh my God we are so tired of having tobacco Road ram everything down our throats and let's assert a little power. They have power because they threatened to leave and at the time there wasn't a GOR to keep them in place. That is no longer the case, but they still seem to have a brief is the same toddler like strategy of threatening to hold their breath until they get their way. In both circumstances you can let them pout all they want, but the thread is an empty one.

Reaction Score
The lawsuit had nothing to do with it.
I posted on this many times in past.

Simply put - it hurt a lot. We would have been in the ACC with Syra in 2011, without the lawsuit - especially since certain people, making decisions on our fate, were sued personally.

There were other plaintiffs in addition to UConn, but our AG spearheaded the case and it was filed in Connecticut. It made sense for UConn to be in the ACC then, but bitterness prevailed. (Moral of the story - Be careful who you sue.)

Reaction Score
Does BC have any pull in the ACC? Where are they strong?

Reaction Score
BC does not want UConn in the ACC, period. Blumie could have sent $100 million and a lifetime supply of call girls, and BC would blackball us.

BC was the catalyst for the 2003 raid, and they did it then because they realized that once UConn went D1 in football in a major conference, BCU would be second fiddle in New England. Nothing has changed in the 20 years since. BCU had the foresight to see the conference Survivor that college athletics would become, and their sole goal when it comes to UConn is to make sure that BCU is the only major conference school in New England.
With Mora at the helm, I think we finally have a chance to be consistently better than BCU, and much their asses.

UConn has to find a way to keep Mora there long term so he can build the program his way.

Reaction Score
BC does not want UConn in the ACC, period. Blumie could have sent $100 million and a lifetime supply of call girls, and BC would blackball us.

BC was the catalyst for the 2003 raid, and they did it then because they realized that once UConn went D1 in football in a major conference, BCU would be second fiddle in New England. Nothing has changed in the 20 years since. BCU had the foresight to see the conference Survivor that college athletics would become, and their sole goal when it comes to UConn is to make sure that BCU is the only major conference school in New England.
Times have changed. Gene D was a vindictive man, got pushed out at BC, and he has been gone for over 10 years. Father Leahy is not that involved in athletics outside of making sure they are profitable. And, Connecticut has the 3rd largest group of BC alumni after Massachusetts and NY. Plus, the tri-state area produces more BC students than Massachusetts.

BC and UConn have been playing each other in every sport except men's and women's basketball. (There has been men's game between BC and UConn at MSG since BC joined the ACC.) The last time UConn played football at BC, it was the 2nd highest attendance game of the season behind #3 Clemson. The crowd was bigger than against #5 Louisville and Syracuse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom