What Coach Calhoun didn't say about CR | The Boneyard

What Coach Calhoun didn't say about CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pardon my rant but as I sit here and watch the Pittsburg/NC State game my emotions are running the gamut anger, disgust, melancholy. As a long time UCONN fan going back to a kid listening to George Ehrlich call the play by play on the radio my mother would have on in the Kitchen after dinner to attending all the Big East Tournaments except three I have to say what Coach Calhoun didn’t say the other day, we really got shafted (stronger word not used to avoid being censored) in conference realignment. When the Big East was formed Dave Gavitt had the foresight to recognize the potential of UCONN. Not only did we reach that potential in basketball but blew right by it. Only four schools have more NC than us and Duke isn’t one of them. We were on our way in football being competitive in the Big East and having played in a BCS bowl. One bad hire, thanks Jeff, set us back in football.

The ACC jealous of the BIG East’s basketball success started all this mess as they sought to destroy the conference that surpassed them. Thanks to BC’s insecurities Pitt was taken by the ACC with Syracuse. Pitt has become very ordinary and their thug style of play allowed in the Big East is not tolerated in the ACC. BC is a complete outlier in the conference and has been a bottom dweller since their Big East recruits have long departed. May they rot there forever. Syracuse has finally been exposed for the program they really are. I won’t even talk about the Mega Millions winner Rutgers.

As a true blue UCONN fan it is very hard watching us wallow in this mess called the AAC. Its difficult reading every BIG 12 and ACC expansion rumor include every team no matter how ridiculous but not us. I fear that our conference will make it very hard to recruit going forward and can’t help but wonder if our best days are behind us. Even though I feel no connection or care about any of these teams in the AAC as a fan I will continue to watch and support our teams. I can only hope that the silence from both our administration and BIG expansion talk is a positive for our future.

Sorry for the venting, I know this has been said over and over.

Jay Bilas just saying that Friday and Saturday night for the ACC tournament is now going to be must see TV now that the Big East is broken up sure doesn’t help!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Tomorrows breakfst for me...chocolate cheerios followed by a nice, fat bullet.

Reaction Score
Hasn't this whole season been tantamount to a root canal angst wise?

Reaction Score
I feel your pain.

The Big East was tremendous basketball. The best college basketball in the country. It's gone.....

UCONN will eventually end up in a better conference situation. It may take much longer than any of us originally thought or certainly want, but the University holds too much promise on too many fronts for it not to happen. In the interim we have to get the football program straightened out and keep the basketball programs competitive........and as fans continue our support.

Reaction Score
UConn, playing in Hartford for the tourney, has a great shot at the championship.

USF, tonight, will be down a couple of players and should be a W...I think that this post season, in Hartford, will see UConn going past SMU, Tulsa, and Cincy.

Hey...some pundits already have four AAC teams in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I watch as little espn as possible. I will not watch ACC basketball. I fully admit that the demise of the Big East, the only conference I have ever watched with any interest whatsover, has really put me off of college sports. We can thank the Big East and Jim Calhoun for making UCONN a national brand, and it is still too hard to accept that the B.E. is gone because of football and greed. Good programs make good conferences and vice-versa. I don't believe our football program can have the type of success required to become relevant, starting from where it is to where it would have to go, not in the AAC. 64 is the number for the P5. We missed the boat. There are many good football programs, better programs than UCONN, currently in the P5 who are not good enough to get an invite if they were in the G5. UCONN football just will not do it for us. It would have to be AAU, markets, and the B1G.
These are my opinions and I hope I am wrong but make no mistake about it, I am p*ssed.

Reaction Score
Realignment is not over. Expansion is not over. Like any process, it takes time and is very methodical. Think of the NYC real estate market. When I first graduated, no one would go above 86th street. It then became 96th. Now you can buy a two-bedroom loft on 110th for 2.5 million. UConn, in my mind, remains a huge asset. Why? Because it still will help lock up the holy grail. I admit that I love conspiracy theories. I have learned through all of this to not take anything the media or a specific media outlet says literally, that its all about a hidden agenda that will benefit them. They can spin a story any way the want to try and protect an asset. Call me crazy, but this is why I don't think the ACC chose Louisville over us. This is why I don't think our administration was in St. Thomas eating donuts doing nothing with the fate of our university at stake. This is why I objectively look at what UConn has done since the last round of realignment and can come to only one conclusion. They were given a to do list with an end date. UConn has obliged. My take is that when the Big10 chose Rutgers and Maryland, it did so as phase 1 of a multi-phase plan. UConn has always been in their plans. As fans, as hard as it is, we need to sit back, be patient, and allow the process to play itself out. Why am I so confident? Because nothing that has happened since the last round of realignment, from our exclusion, to our apathy, to our reaction makes any other sense.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Maybe things will work out. Some day. Who knows when?

But right now - today - we've got a whole lot of apathy going around, and apathy kills. No amount of wishing and hoping and spinning is going to make us care for anyone in this god forsaken conference.

Reaction Score
Maybe things will work out. Some day. Who knows when?

But right now - today - we've got a whole lot of apathy going around, and apathy kills. No amount of wishing and hoping and spinning is going to make us care for anyone in this god forsaken conference.
For young people, I'm imagining such as yourself, it will work out. For old people, some will not be around in a decade or two to see it happen. That's life, but sometimes we vent here anyway.

Reaction Score
I think ...

It's fair to say that the Northeast Market is up for grabs. The OP correctly positions BC, Pitt, Syracuse & Rutgers. The NBE is a non-entity is National focus. Villanova winning now has no comparison to if it was 7 years ago. Something has to reach up & grab this Market void. And I think this is ALL- Football too (which UConn FB doesn't really dent at the moment).

Reaction Score
Realignment is not over. Expansion is not over. Like any process, it takes time and is very methodical. Think of the NYC real estate market. When I first graduated, no one would go above 86th street. It then became 96th. Now you can buy a two-bedroom loft on 110th for 2.5 million. UConn, in my mind, remains a huge asset. Why? Because it still will help lock up the holy grail. I admit that I love conspiracy theories. I have learned through all of this to not take anything the media or a specific media outlet says literally, that its all about a hidden agenda that will benefit them. They can spin a story any way the want to try and protect an asset. Call me crazy, but this is why I don't think the ACC chose Louisville over us. This is why I don't think our administration was in St. Thomas eating donuts doing nothing with the fate of our university at stake. This is why I objectively look at what UConn has done since the last round of realignment and can come to only one conclusion. They were given a to do list with an end date. UConn has obliged. My take is that when the Big10 chose Rutgers and Maryland, it did so as phase 1 of a multi-phase plan. UConn has always been in their plans. As fans, as hard as it is, we need to sit back, be patient, and allow the process to play itself out. Why am I so confident? Because nothing that has happened since the last round of realignment, from our exclusion, to our apathy, to our reaction makes any other sense.

The complete silence from our administration does make you wonder if a deal is in place, but if there was one don't you think Calhoun would know.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
For young people, I'm imagining such as yourself, it will work out. For old people, some will not be around in a decade or two to see it happen. That's life, but sometimes we vent here anyway.
I'm 36 and usually my wife calls me old, so I'll take it. :)

Reaction Score
The complete silence from our administration does make you wonder if a deal is in place, but if there was one don't you think Calhoun would know.

He may know, but he's not going to come out and say anything.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
When we finally get invited we will all find out because Coach Calhoun will post a new thread on the boneyard under an alias to tip us off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom