What are you binge watching? | Page 66 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I feel this way about pretty much every character he's played since Office Space
Nah, he was great in Band of Brothers…other than that I agree. Especially on Loudermilk.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The Tourist (Netflix)…it’s the Australian version of Fargo. I enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
We are 3 episodes into "The Woman in the Wall" on Showtime/Paramount+

It is... bizarre...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Started both The Dynasty on Apple and Season 4 of True Detective on HBO. Both are quite good so far. I skipped Seasons 2-3 of True Detective, liked Season 1. Any thoughts on whether seasons 2-3 are worth watching? I heard bad things about season 2.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Griselda (Netflix) - I am three episodes in and struggling to get through it. It is the same team as Narcos, which I LOVED, but this one just doesn't flow very well, and Sofia Vergara doesn't pull it off as the drug boss. I will grind through a few more episodes to see if it improves, but this is disappointing.

Reaction Score
Started both The Dynasty on Apple and Season 4 of True Detective on HBO. Both are quite good so far. I skipped Seasons 2-3 of True Detective, liked Season 1. Any thoughts on whether seasons 2-3 are worth watching? I heard bad things about season 2.
Season 3 is very good. A lot of people don't like Season 2, but I thought it was OK (just not up to par with Season 1 though). I'll be interested in your opinion about Season 4. My take is
it's one of the worst season finales I've ever seen

Reaction Score
Just finished Season 5 of Fargo. What a strange 5 sesaon series but excellent. Munch from season 5, so peculiar, he's like Kramer. He is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away.
Juno Temple, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jon Hamm, etc. Great cast.

Anything else on Hulu? I'm thinking "A Murder at the End of the World" perhaps.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm thinking "A Murder at the End of the World" perhaps.
Starts out with some intrigue, then just drags on for multiple episodes. The big reveal at the end wasn't worth having sat thru the rest of the season. This like many shows should have had maybe half the episodes it did. If streamlined and cut out all the filler, could've been decent.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just finished Season 5 of Fargo. What a strange 5 sesaon series but excellent. Munch from season 5, so peculiar, he's like Kramer. He is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away.
Juno Temple, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jon Hamm, etc. Great cast.

Anything else on Hulu? I'm thinking "A Murder at the End of the World" perhaps.
No to AMATEOTW for reasons @HuskyHawk mentioned.

Don't know what you've already seen, but I'll rank my top 5 that are still available on Hulu:
1. Justified
2. The Bear
3. Snowfall
4. Schitt's Creek
5 (tie): The Americans/Homeland

I'm currently following "Death and Other Details". It's decent, but pales in comparison to the ones I've listed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So after finishing ep6 of Masters of Air (no flying action in this one) I decided to take a shot on Constellation (Apple+). Helluva start. Bunch of astronauts on the ISS when it gets hit by something. Old friend Jonathan Banks is in charge of US mission control and is as cantankerous as ever. First episode has a solid story, some great space action, a major creepy surprise, and something supernatural that hasn't been explained at all. I'll be watching ep2 tonight.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
...more on Constellation. The first 3 episodes dropped this week. It's compellingly weird. Seems Jonathan Banks' character found a new form of matter and characters are now in two places at the same time or something like that, according to quantum physics. No idea where this is going.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The first two episodes of Shogun (Hulu) dropped today. Never read it (or any Clavell as they're intimidatingly long) but knew the Cliff's Notes. So far it's well done and interesting. Never heard of Cosmo Jarvis (John Blackthorne) but he's got the looks and wry humor that should've gotten him a lead in some MCU/DC extravaganza by now. Rodriguez is hysterical, and has me wondering if there are actually great foul-mouthed one-liners in the book. I'll be sticking with this one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm currently following "Death and Other Details". It's decent, but pales in comparison to the ones I've listed.
I've been watching it. I thought there were 8 episodes total. It's been a grind since about the mid point of the season. Then I found out there are actually 10 episodes. I got about halfway thru #8, and I just didn't care about anything that was happening, so I pulled the plug.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The first two episodes of Shogun (Hulu) dropped today. Never read it (or any Clavell as they're intimidatingly long) but knew the Cliff's Notes. So far it's well done and interesting. Never heard of Cosmo Jarvis (John Blackthorne) but he's got the looks and wry humor that should've gotten him a lead in some MCU/DC extravaganza by now. Rodriguez is hysterical, and has me wondering if there are actually great foul-mouthed one-liners in the book. I'll be sticking with this one.

The book is awesome, and the show is off to a great start, although I have a slight quibble through the first episode: Torunaga (based on Tokugawa Ieyasu) was kind of the villain in real life, and Ishido Kazunari (Ishida Matsunari) was probably the hero, although it was mostly just shades of gray between them. The miniseries defines them a little more as good and evil, and Ishido is a bit cartoonish in the first episode.

The Book/Miniseries is closely based on actual events that occurred at the end of the Sengoku period of Japanese history, which was a period of almost continual civil war between various clans. The actual history of the Sengoku period is NUTS. Look up the real-life father of the Mariko character. His name is Akechi Mitsuhide. There are many other really interesting characters from the period.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The book is awesome, and the show is off to a great start, although I have a slight quibble through the first episode: Torunaga (based on Tokugawa Ieyasu) was kind of the villain in real life, and Ishido Kazunari (Ishida Matsunari) was probably the hero, although it was mostly just shades of gray between them. The miniseries defines them a little more as good and evil, and Ishido is a bit cartoonish in the first episode.

The Book/Miniseries is closely based on actual events that occurred at the end of the Sengoku period of Japanese history, which was a period of almost continual civil war between various clans. The actual history of the Sengoku period is NUTS. Look up the real-life father of the Mariko character. His name is Akechi Mitsuhide. There are many other really interesting characters from the period.
Sounds like I've got another book to read.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Griselda (Netflix) - I am three episodes in and struggling to get through it. It is the same team as Narcos, which I LOVED, but this one just doesn't flow very well, and Sofia Vergara doesn't pull it off as the drug boss. I will grind through a few more episodes to see if it improves, but this is disappointing.

Finished Griselda. It wasn't terrible, but it had some problems, mostly in the beginning. For some reason, Vergara tried to make a woman, who was by all accounts a sociopath, into a sympathetic character, which was weird. The real Griseldo murdered her second husband, ordered many murders in Miami, and was an all around monster. If Vergara wanted to tell her story so bad, why soften her up? That stops in the third episode, and the show seemed grittier and more real after that.

Reaction Score
I have been entertaining myself watching three seasons of Warrior on Netflix. Action series with martial arts. Great cast and pretty decent plot. I give it a solid B.

I just looked it up on IMDB who gives it a somewhat surprising 8.4 rating. Nice.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Finished Griselda. It wasn't terrible, but it had some problems, mostly in the beginning. For some reason, Vergara tried to make a woman, who was by all accounts a sociopath, into a sympathetic character, which was weird. The real Griseldo murdered her second husband, ordered many murders in Miami, and was an all around monster. If Vergara wanted to tell her story so bad, why soften her up? That stops in the third episode, and the show seemed grittier and more real after that.
Yeah, it felt like she was the wrong casting choice. And overall, is was not close to the two Narcos series in terms of gripping you. It wasn't a chore to watch, but it wasn't a show that you couldn't turn off. If i knew going in what I'd think of it, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

The first episode was terrific, and the second was even better. This is must watch stuff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The New Look (AppleTV) is promising through 2 episodes. I thought it was just another celebrity bio-miniseries, but it is quite a bit more. The show is about fashion designers Coco Chanel's and Christian Dior's activities during World War II in occupied Paris. The plot is all over the place, but it appears to be mostly a true story and pretty interesting. Not at all what I expected.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The first episode was terrific, and the second was even better. This is must watch stuff.
Started Shogun last night. Very well done, but the pace is slow. This is all intrigue and chess moves, not action packed. That’s perfectly fine, just pointing it out.

Reaction Score
If you're looking for some light escapism, I've been binging a re-watch of Chuck. This is a light-hearted spy show from around 2010 where a slacker from local Nerd Herd has all of the government's secrets implanted in his head. The government sends a CIA hottie, Yvonne Strahovski, and an NSA tough guy, Adam Baldwin, to look after him. The show does not take itself too seriously and there are some decent laughs along the way. They also have some great cameos that I didn't remember from the first time watching. I just watched an episode with a cameo from Harry Dean Stanton as a repo man (IYKYK).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is perhaps ironic, given the discussion on the movie trailer thread. Started watching The Gentlemen on Netflix. It's derivative of the movie of the same name. Stars Theo James, Kaya Scodelario and Daniel Ings. We absolutely loved the first two episodes. The dialogue is just so clever. Ings is very funny as Freddy. James and Scodelario have some sexual tension going, even though a relationship isn't suggested yet.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Full Swing season two on Netflix. If you haven’t watched season one, then you can start there and have twice the fun. You don’t need to be a big golf fan to enjoy this. It’s very well done. If you are a golf fan it gives you great insights into how hard these guys work and some interesting glimpses into their personal lives. Oh yeah, they all have hot wives. Go figure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom