What are some rules of the game (any sport) that you had no idea of? | The Boneyard

What are some rules of the game (any sport) that you had no idea of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As much as I consider myself a well rounded and knowledgeable sports fan, I occasioning come across a rule that I had no clue.

One was in one of the Fiesta Bowl , where the extra point was blocked in the field of play (in front of the end zone) and recovered by a Kansas State player, who then ran the ball into the end zone under his own power and tossed the ball to a teammate, who was tackled in the end zone.

Not only had I never seen that happen before, but never knew about the rule. I give props to the refs for being aware of that rule. I wonder how many college refs would have been at a loss what to call.

I've had similar situations where I was surprised by the call, but I can't recall them at the moment. Do any of you recollect witnessing some similar unusual rules that you weren't aware of?

Reaction Score
I wasn't aware that if the officials lined up the teams incorrectly to begin overtime, and one of the teams proceeded to score a basket, that they could then go back and take that basket off the scoreboard.

What's that? You're telling me that isn't actually the rule? Oh, it must have just been a game officiated by Jim Burr.

Reaction Score
I wasn't aware that if the officials lined up the teams incorrectly to begin overtime, and one of the teams proceeded to score a basket, that they could then go back and take that basket off the scoreboard.

What's that? You're telling me that isn't actually the rule? Oh, it must have just been a game officiated by Jim Burr.
As you're alluding to, they blew that one. I didn't know the rule, but I had little doubt that taking points away from one team and then giving them the ball under their own basket couldn't be the right call, which it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom