WGa D2->D1 | The Boneyard

WGa D2->D1

Reaction Score
I think it’s funny that you think you know better than these schools.

What’s the difference between competing in lower end DI and DII.

Probably not much if you are a public.
But what about their basketball team!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I agree with Nelson's sentiment that this is ridiculous. It's time for the top 200-250 schools to create a new Division 1-A above the current Division 1. At the same time, it's time for the top 90-100 football brands to create a new subdivision above FBS.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think it’s funny that you think you know better than these schools.

What’s the difference between competing in lower end DI and DII.

Probably not much if you are a public.
I agree with Nelson's sentiment that this is ridiculous. It's time for the top 200-250 schools to create a new Division 1-A above the current Division 1. At the same time, it's time for the top 90-100 football brands to create a new subdivision above FBS.

I do not have a sentiment on this. I actually want to know why the schools are doing this. I pointed out in the UMass thread that these schools can't all be wrong, and since they are on tight budgets, they do not have money to throw away. Why are they doing this? There must be a reason.

Reaction Score
I do not have a sentiment on this. I actually want to know why the schools are doing this. I pointed out in the UMass thread that these schools can't all be wrong, and since they are on tight budgets, they do not have money to throw away. Why are they doing this? There must be a reason.

Maybe upgrading from D2 to low end D1 isn’t that exorbitant.

Reaction Score
So the State of Georgia (10.9 M pop.) will now have the 5 D-I public universities, including 4 FBS programs:
Georgia (FBS)
Georgia Southern (FBS)
Georgia State (FBS)
Kennesaw State (FBS)
West Georgia (FCS)

The State of Utah (3.4 M pop) has 6 D-I public universities:
Utah (FBS)
Utah State (FBS)
Weber State (FCS)
Southern Utah (FCS)
Utah Valley (no football)
Utah Tech (FCS)

The State of Oregon (4.2 M pop) has 3 public D-I universities:
Oregon (FBS)
Oregon State (FBS)
Portland (FCS)

The State of Connecticut (3.8 M pop.) has just 2 D-I public universities:
Connecticut (FBS)
Central Connecticut (FCS)

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So the State of Georgia will now have the 5 D-I public universities, including 4 FBS programs:

Georgia (FBS)
Georgia Southern (FBS)
Georgia State (FBS)
Kennesaw State (FBS)
West Georgia (FCS)

Even the State of Utah, with a population smaller than CT has 6 D-I public universities:

Utah (FBS)
Utah State (FBS)
Weber State (FCS)
Southern Utah (FCS)
Utah Tech (FCS)
Overkill

Reaction Score
Georgia Southern ain't an awful FBS team...
...Wins last year against Nebraska, JMU, Ball State, Old Dominion, Appalachian State

Georgia State is pretty new as FBS (2013)...and Kennesaw State is newer.

With the football talent in the state of Georgia, these programs may be able to grow in strength.

Reaction Score
So the State of Georgia (10.9 M pop.) will now have the 5 D-I public universities, including 4 FBS programs:
Georgia (FBS)
Georgia Southern (FBS)
Georgia State (FBS)
Kennesaw State (FBS)
West Georgia (FCS)

The State of Utah (3.4 M pop) has 6 D-I public universities:
Utah (FBS)
Utah State (FBS)
Weber State (FCS)
Southern Utah (FCS)
Utah Tech (FCS)

The State of Oregon (4.2 M pop) has 3 public D-I universities:
Oregon (FBS)
Oregon State (FBS)
Portland (FCS)

The State of Connecticut (3.8 M pop.) has just 2 D-I public universities:
Connecticut (FBS)
Central Connecticut (FCS)
The relevant comparison is young population, not total, imo. They do this to appeal to students and prospective students.

Reaction Score
Why are these schools doing this?
because its a low bar to move from D2 to D1

edit: Everybody knows the basketball tournament is a cheap move for attention once you factor in the increased costs. Yes, there's some costs that come along with a move up but if you already have to travel to different places regionally and you already sponsor enough sports, why not move up? Most schools already don't commit to full suites of scholarships

Reaction Score
The Division I Council introduced legislative proposals that would change membership requirements for Football Bowl Subdivision schools. The council met this week in Indianapolis.

If adopted, all FBS schools would be required to provide 90% of the total number of allowable scholarships over a two-year rolling period across at least 16 sports, including football. Schools also would be required to offer at least 210 scholarships each year, amounting to no less than $6 million in athletics scholarships offered.

These requirements would take effect Aug. 1, 2027, for existing FBS members and for schools already transitioning to FBS membership. Moving forward, for schools applying to transition to FBS beginning in 2024-25 and thereafter, the requirements would have to be met by the end of the two-year transition process.

The council also introduced new legislation that would increase the fee to transition from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5 million. If adopted, the change would be effective immediately for schools initiating the transition process from that point forward. The fee would be reassessed regularly.

Reaction Score
After meeting this week in Indianapolis, the Council announced it is proposing changes that will make it more expensive -- prohibitively so, in some cases -- to move up.

For starters, the Council would drop the attendance requirement (FBS teams are required to average at least 15,000 over a rolling 2-year period) in favor of standard that would establish a minimum number of scholarships offered to compete in football's highest division. From the announcement:

The proposals will now be forwarded to Division I membership for feedback. A date for a vote has not been scheduled. If approved, the new scholarship standard would become effective Aug. 1, 2027 for existing FBS schools; schools applying to transition to FBS in 2024-25 or thereafter would have to meet the 90%/210/$6 million rule within two years of joining. The $5 million transfer fee would go into effect immediately.

Reaction Score
The council also introduced new legislation that would increase the fee to transition from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5 million. If adopted, the change would be effective immediately for schools initiating the transition process from that point forward. The fee would be reassessed regularly.
Gadzooks!

Good for UConn but doubt it would pass.

Reaction Score
All the schools thinking about FBS (eg the WAC ASUN) have now received a kick in the butt to figure out their future Now.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech +1: Not so great gridiron of late, but fairly challenging to ignore. Academically, the Peach State's highest academically respected public university.

West Georgia: An academic bottom feeder along with Valdosta State, North Georgia, and Georgia Southern each located in similarly crappy towns. Despite not being great schools, at least Georgia State in Atlanta and nearby Kennesaw State in a suburb benefit from corporate support, grad programs, location, etc. Acknowledging the rate of Georgia's population growth, West Georgia's likely hoping football adds some attraction.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So are @Vowelguy and @billybud going with "they are stupid" to explain why so many schools have suddenly upgraded football? You are all posting reasons not to upgrade, yet a bunch of schools, who are presumably aware of all these facts, have all just upgraded. Why?

Reaction Score
Nelson...Don't be a Muntz.

I posted the news about changing FBS requirements...It is news.

Why do schools desire FBS ? I have already answered your question in a post. Asked and answered, counselor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do you, Muntz, seemingly object to any posting of facts that may oppose your vision of the future ?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why do you, Muntz, seemingly object to any posting of facts that may oppose your vision of the future ?

I have no view on the future of bottom tier FBS schools moving up or down. I am simply pointing out that you are both not answering the question, and then getting mad at me when I point that out.

Reaction Score
I have no view on the future of bottom tier FBS schools moving up or down. I am simply pointing out that you are both not answering the question, and then getting mad at me when I point that out.

Not mad...perplexed...you already asked and I answered that question....either you don't pay attention or are so focused on making some point that you skip other's responses...

"Teams upgrade for several reasons...prestige, more revenue, scheduling (may find it easier to schedule FBS teams than as an FCS), fan base building, ticket sales, etc.

What do you think ?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom