Westbrook | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Westbrook

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought she had a chance, but I think we would be too small and offensively challenged with her. I was expecting a new body to fill that spot... just didn’t know who... was going with Griffin as she is the only choice right now.
For anyone who knows what UConn demands of their players, freshman or not, if you saw Griffin play a whole game there is no way you would say she will start next season, even if UConn adds no other players. Read some of oldude's post concerning Griffin.

Reaction Score
If Westbrook decides to come to UConn she may wait for the spring semester to end at Tennessee to make the announcement because you all know there are a lot of crazies in that fanbase.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we even know if she would be eligible next season? If not, when will we find out?
Q: Do we even know if she would be eligible next season?
A: We do not know.

Q: If not, when will we find out?
A: Here are next steps and rough timeline.
1) Evina has to be accepted by UCONN and put on scholarship. Any day now.
2) Evina will be enrolled in one or both of the Summer sessions at UCONN. (June 3 - August 16, 2019)
3) UCONN submits request for immediate eligibility on day one of Evina's enrollment-June 3rd, 2019
4) Revisions, rewrites, tweaking of the waiver request. (June- September 2019)
5) NCAA will make a final decision ~ October, 2019 based on the Jessica Shepard timeline.

Reaction Score
Because her current coach was fired and is being replaced I believe that makes it so that she can transfer and play immediately. At least in the past when coaching changes have occurred that is how it has worked.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because her current coach was fired and is being replaced I believe that makes it so that she can transfer and play immediately. At least in the past when coaching changes have occurred that is how it has worked.
That is not how it worked in the past nor how it works currently.
In the past & presently a fired or resigning coach does not mean that a player is allowed to transfer and be immediately eligible.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Shabazz Napier calling out the NCAA and Mark Emmert(NCAA president) live on air during the National Championship post game interview certainly did not do UConn any favors.

Except to point out the truth, the blatant double standard, the hypocrisy that the NCAA and Mark Emmert have demonstrated on innumerable occasion.
I see that other posters have written similar; but damn, sometimes it does feel good to vent @RockyMTblue2 .

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
A very entertaining debate on next years 5th starter. I love it when the heavyweights go at it, oldude and Coco. @stick you did well against some of the best the boneyard has.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shabazz Napier calling out the NCAA and Mark Emmert(NCAA president) live on air during the National Championship post game interview certainly did not do UConn any favors.
Maybe but it sure felt great in the moment! Geno refused to shake hands with Emmert for years afterward. Applying a rule change retroactively to UConn for an event that had already been punished once by the NCAA, and refusing to use up to date APR figures which would have saved UConn is unconscionable.

Reaction Score

That is not how it has worked in the past. The majority of players who have transferred after their coach left still had to sit a year.

Reaction Score
For anyone who knows what UConn demands of their players, freshman or not, if you saw Griffin play a whole game there is no way you would say she will start next season, even if UConn adds no other players. Read some of oldude's post concerning Griffin.
I haven’t seen more than a few highlight clips of her, but did see Christyn start all year as a freshman. Geno has raved about Griffin’s potential, so I surmised it might be possible for her to start also. Geno’s offense really requires balance. It just doesn’t look right when someone can’t or won’t shoot.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen more than a few highlight clips of her, but did see Christyn start all year as a freshman. Geno has raved about Griffin’s potential, so I surmised it might be possible for her to start also. Geno’s offense really requires balance. It just doesn’t look right when someone can’t or won’t shoot.
It's not her ability or talent. She has loads of that. The thing that may hinder her is her effort and tendency to take plays off. Those parts of her game needs a lot of work to reach UConn standards. She may start but, I would be very surprised.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A very entertaining debate on next years 5th starter. I love it when the heavyweights go at it, oldude and Coco. @stick you did well against some of the best the boneyard has.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm more welterweight or middleweight even after a good meal. :D

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Q: Do we even know if she would be eligible next season?
A: We do not know.

Q: If not, when will we find out?
A: Here are next steps and rough timeline.
1) Evina has to be accepted by UCONN and put on scholarship. Any day now.
2) Evina will be enrolled in one or both of the Summer sessions at UCONN. (June 3 - August 16, 2019)
3) UCONN submits request for immediate eligibility on day one of Evina's enrollment-June 3rd, 2019
4) Revisions, rewrites, tweaking of the waiver request. (June- September 2019)
5) NCAA will make a final decision ~ October, 2019 based on the Jessica Shepard timeline.

Apologies CocoHusky, I can't resist this:

5) NCAA staff member reviewing transfer waiver for student-athlete E. W. calls M.E. for guidance on waiver decision:
Staffer: I have a request fro waiver for E.W., her coach got fired and she wants another school now.
M.E.: Is she going to ND or UNC?
Staffer: Unnnh, no.
M.E.: Well that makes it tougher, but possible. It depends on the circumstances. What school does she want?
Staffer: Unnnh, you know, that one you used to work for before they pushed you out for incompetence, UConn.
M.E.: WT*! Unprintable, unprintable, NEVER! You call me about a UConn waiver again, you'll be looking for a job.
Staffer: Yes sir. Waiver denied.

If we are lucky enough that Westbrook decides to come here, and a waiver is granted, I will publicly apologize to the NCAA here on the boneyard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not her ability or talent. She has loads of that. The thing that may hinder her is her effort and tendency to take plays off. Those parts of her game needs a lot of work to reach UConn standards. She may start but, I would be very surprised.
I would think her effort and attitude will be changed by the time she gets to her first practice.

Reaction Score
There are UT fans that love Westbrook so much, they say she is potentially as good as Holdsclaw and Parker.

They believe that Westbrook’s high number of Turnovers were because of bad coaching, and because her less talented teammates simply were not capable of handling her passes.

They also believe that if Westbrook had played for Notre Dame or UCONN, they would have won the national championship.

They believe also that Westbrook exhibited good leadership for publicly calling for her coach to be fired.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Did she decide to transfer (enter the portal) before Holly was fired? If so, that should make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom