Wes Durham predicts a Miami-San Diego St. final | The Boneyard

Wes Durham predicts a Miami-San Diego St. final

Reaction Score
So the radio voice of the ACC tournament & the Atlanta Falcons was on the "Dusty & Danny" show on Sirius-XM. He predicts a Miami-San Diego St. final. He says that Miami's big men will be too tough for UConn to deal with. I'll put my faith in Sonogo, Clingan, & Karaban...

Reaction Score
So the radio voice of the ACC tournament & the Atlanta Falcons was on the "Dusty & Danny" show on Sirius-XM. He predicts a Miami-San Diego St. final. He says that Miami's big men will be too tough for UConn to deal with. I'll put my faith in Sonogo, Clingan, & Karaban...

Im not sure that gentleman has ever seen a basketball game.

caw

Reaction Score
Omier is very good. Very different player from Sanogo in how he plays. He is a fantastic rebounder who gets most of his points on dump-offs and offensive rebounds. He moves most of the players he plays against, much like Sanogo. He is also probably a better leaper than Sanogo, not nearly the post up game, or footwork. He is probably slightly better than Sanogo driving to the hoop, but a worse shooter.

He is almost all effort.

Only Duke and UNC held him under double digits. On the plus side UConn has the height and strength similar to those two teams.

I don't think Karaban can keep him off the boards, but Sanogo should be able to body him. It's one of the best things Sanogo does. He bodies his man, sometimes to the detriment of actually getting the rebound (though he has been better at that).

Reaction Score
Omier is very good. Very different player from Sanogo in how he plays. He is a fantastic rebounder who gets most of his points on dump-offs and offensive rebounds. He moves most of the players he plays against, much like Sanogo. He is also probably a better leaper than Sanogo, not nearly the post up game, or footwork. He is probably slightly better than Sanogo driving to the hoop, but a worse shooter.

He is almost all effort.

Only Duke and UNC held him under double digits. On the plus side UConn has the height and strength similar to those two teams.

I don't think Karaban can keep him off the boards, but Sanogo should be able to body him. It's one of the best things Sanogo does. He bodies his man, sometimes to the detriment of actually getting the rebound (though he has been better at that).
Interestingly, the Drake big guy pretty well had his way with Omier offensively. Bigger than Sanogo but much less athletic and kind of a poor man's Sanogo from a footwork perspective. Not sure how impacted Omier was by the ankle in that one though.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Im not worried about their center, he will be grinded down getting no rest when Sanogo subs out for Clingan. I’m worried about Miami’s guards. Specifically their penetration snd 3 point shooting. Need a good defensive performance from Newton, Hawkins and Jackson.

Reaction Score
Omier is a great player, but our front court is such a bad matchup that it’s almost comical. It’s basically a guarantee that if you are listening to generic sports talk radio, you’re gonna get dumb takes on CBB.

The field of 68 guys were talking about how his rim protection has not translated from the sun belt, and his value is being athletic and super switchable. That’s great against some, not really against us.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

He is almost all effort.

Probably talking about Omier and Miller vs. Sanogo and Karaban. Seems to be overlooking Clingan.

Fouls will be critical this game. Both teams play more aggressive defense second half and against Miami's tendency to play more intensely in the second half I want Donovan to be on the floor to negate some of their guard drives.

Prior to the recent play of Alleyne, I was more concerned about Karaban getting into foul trouble. The one criticism I have of Alex is driving athletic fours contact him in the midsection and when that happens Alex's upper body, and by extension his arms, bend forward which gets him a foul. Hopefully the coaches are picking that up and working with him to avoid it. I'm not sure if Miller drives to the basket and goes at his defender or not.

Does Omier release quickly off his player on defense to negate other players from getting offensive rebounds? We still should be able to get offensive rebounds if balls don't careen funny.

On defense their guards get by their defenders causing Omier's defender to leave him alone. It's why their guards are willing to take those difficult twos. They know if they miss and Omier is in position he'll get a rebound and put back. A security blanket like that allow players to have the confidence to take a shot they might otherwise not take.

I have spoken!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im not worried about their center, he will be grinded down getting no rest when Sanogo subs out for Clingan. I’m worried about Miami’s guards. Specifically their penetration snd 3 point shooting. Need a good defensive performance from Newton, Hawkins and Jackson.
Don’t forget about Alleyne and Diarra. Their defense as reserves will be huge and will continue to tire out their guards. I think our depth will be the difference maker in this game.

Reaction Score
feel like Clingan will be big to stop Miami's penetrating guards
I think the 5 pt favor will hold true. If it drops to 2. We will win by 20 it’s been the pattern. Tough matchup though. I’m confident Dan and staff are very aware of that and they will be very very prepared.

Reaction Score
Probably talking about Omier and Miller vs. Sanogo and Karaban. Seems to be overlooking Clingan.

Fouls will be critical this game. Both teams play more aggressive defense second half and against Miami's tendency to play more intensely in the second half I want Donovan to be on the floor to negate some of their guard drives.

Prior to the recent play of Alleyne, I was more concerned about Karaban getting into foul trouble. The one criticism I have of Alex is driving athletic fours contact him in the midsection and when that happens Alex's upper body, and by extension his arms, bend forward which gets him a foul. Hopefully the coaches are picking that up and working with him to avoid it. I'm not sure if Miller drives to the basket and goes at his defender or not.

Does Omier release quickly off his player on defense to negate other players from getting offensive rebounds? We still should be able to get offensive rebounds if balls don't careen funny.

On defense their guards get by their defenders causing Omier's defender to leave him alone. It's why their guards are willing to take those difficult twos. They know if they miss and Omier is in position he'll get a rebound and put back. A security blanket like that allow players to have the confidence to take a shot they might otherwise not take.

I have spoken!
This is a good point. I'd rather have Clingan and, especially, Sanogo stay home and not go for the block instead of helping against their guards. If they make tough 2's against good on-ball defense, so be it. I don't want to gift them a lot of easy lay-ins after a good defensive possession.

Reaction Score
Of course he does. All the talking heads on ACCN thought they should've had 7-8 teams in the dance. It's what they do.
The ACC basically just hired a guy to find the best way for the conference to be able to lobby the NCAA every year to get more of their teams in.
They've been complaining about not getting enough teams as is which is nuts. Miami is in it, but Duke and Virginia had pretty weak showings.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And yet I think it’s UConn vs FAU. Miami’s big men? Obviously an idiot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom