Well, that was all right, no? | The Boneyard

Well, that was all right, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Last year, we were down nine points in the opener against Bryant and were still tied at 45 with nine minutes left. Sam Cassell was in the starting lineup and he and Terrence Samuel combined for 65 minutes and 16 shots. Not to kick sand on those two players, but that's trouble.

Tonight, with nine minutes left, UConn was up 40. The talent level is so, so much higher and there's so much more depth. Last year, Kentan started. This year, he came into the game after five minutes and it reminded me that he was on the team. It was like finding a Christmas present you forgot to open. It's so much nicer this way.

2) Shonn Miller is the answer to about 3,000 questions I had about last year's team. He rebounds. He scores. He gets Ivy League degrees. He sees that three-point shots are going to be long and he runs 25' towards it just so we have a Sportscenter Top Ten play in case we need it. He is Stanley Robinson fully-realized. Brilliant.

3) He doesn't play like him, but how many of people had momentary flashbacks to Ben Gordon with the #4 running around there? If Miller is the answer to 3,000 questions about last year's team, Sterling is the answer to like 1,500. He can shoot, he can pass, he can dribble, he can score 20 points and you're not sure when he did it.

4) Squirrel!

5) The front court is vastly better than it was last year. Most of it is the inclusion of Miller, but Amida was admittedly a terror tonight - fans in the stands had free wings in record time. He did hunt blocks on a couple of occasions, but he probably ended up blocking those shots, so that's that. Some of his blocks were like punts - he had some hang time on a few of 'em. Facey gets bumped down one spot in the rotation and still puts up a very Facey-like six points and six rebounds -- and he was flying around the court. The front court is so long and then you bring in Facey - makes this difficult on an opponent's second flight. Enoch was very big and very lost at times, but last year, we had Lubin in the very big and very lost position and this will end so much better for us.

6) The backcourt is a nightmare. I still think Purvis has a chance to be our best player by year end. If that happens, with the rest of this roster, good luck. Adams looked freshmanish which makes sense given his freshmanishness.

7) Hamilton is his own category. Everything went through him tonight - he largely made pretty good decisions. Didn't turn the ball over, started the break, taught Miller how to catch lobs like Amida, etc.

8) I like the bench a lot, but I can see where things are going for some players. They went ten deep tonight and I suspect things will whittle down to eight, with a crack for a ninth. Adams is going to play. Facey deserves to play. Enoch needs to play.

So....Omar and Sam.

I think Omar will carve out a (small) role for himself. He looks to be healthy for the first time in however long and he's got enough ability and athleticism to get on the floor as the eighth or ninth player...but not if he's going out there with the intention of being a three-point threat. Because he isn't.

I just don't see Cassell getting much time. He's a prop plane on a team of jets. He played 18 minutes tonight and that was too many. It's been debated many times here, but he's just not a three-point shooter. But since he's so slow-footed, he's prone to firing quick, off-balance threes to get his shots - and he will get his shots. We just can't have games where he and Calhoun put up six three-point attempts because those are largely wasted possessions. He's not a point guard, he's not really a shooting guard and we're playing 20 mph faster than his top speed - I think he's buried deep. Be Donnell Beverly.

9) All in all, a great night. We looked like old-timey UConn tonight - I think a lot of folks are sleeping on this team.

Reaction Score
This is going to be the dominant regular season we've all been clamoring for. We're loaded at every position, and even our role players have taken a step to get better. I thought Facey in particular looked great tonight.

Until I see a reason to think otherwise, I really believe UConn is one of the best teams in the country.

Reaction Score
1) Last year, we were down nine points in the opener against Bryant and were still tied at 45 with nine minutes left. Sam Cassell was in the starting lineup and he and Terrence Samuel combined for 65 minutes and 16 shots. Not to kick sand on those two players, but that's trouble.

Tonight, with nine minutes left, UConn was up 40. The talent level is so, so much higher and there's so much more depth. Last year, Kentan started. This year, he came into the game after five minutes and it reminded me that he was on the team. It was like finding a Christmas present you forgot to open. It's so much nicer this way.

2) Shonn Miller is the answer to about 3,000 questions I had about last year's team. He rebounds. He scores. He gets Ivy League degrees. He sees that three-point shots are going to be long and he runs 25' towards it just so we have a Sportscenter Top Ten play in case we need it. He is Stanley Robinson fully-realized. Brilliant.

3) He doesn't play like him, but how many of people had momentary flashbacks to Ben Gordon with the #4 running around there? If Miller is the answer to 3,000 questions about last year's team, Sterling is the answer to like 1,500. He can shoot, he can pass, he can dribble, he can score 20 points and you're not sure when he did it.

4) Squirrel!

5) The front court is vastly better than it was last year. Most of it is the inclusion of Miller, but Amida was admittedly a terror tonight - fans in the stands had free wings in record time. He did hunt blocks on a couple of occasions, but he probably ended up blocking those shots, so that's that. Some of his blocks were like punts - he had some hang time on a few of 'em. Facey gets bumped down one spot in the rotation and still puts up a very Facey-like six points and six rebounds -- and he was flying around the court. The front court is so long and then you bring in Facey - makes this difficult on an opponent's second flight. Enoch was very big and very lost at times, but last year, we had Lubin in the very big and very lost position and this will end so much better for us.

6) The backcourt is a nightmare. I still think Purvis has a chance to be our best player by year end. If that happens, with the rest of this roster, good luck. Adams looked freshmanish which makes sense given his freshmanishness.

7) Hamilton is his own category. Everything went through him tonight - he largely made pretty good decisions. Didn't turn the ball over, started the break, taught Miller how to catch lobs like Amida, etc.

8) I like the bench a lot, but I can see where things are going for some players. They went ten deep tonight and I suspect things will whittle down to eight, with a crack for a ninth. Adams is going to play. Facey deserves to play. Enoch needs to play.

So....Omar and Sam.

I think Omar will carve out a (small) role for himself. He looks to be healthy for the first time in however long and he's got enough ability and athleticism to get on the floor as the eighth or ninth player...but not if he's going out there with the intention of being a three-point threat. Because he isn't.

I just don't see Cassell getting much time. He's a prop plane on a team of jets. He played 18 minutes tonight and that was too many. It's been debated many times here, but he's just not a three-point shooter. But since he's so slow-footed, he's prone to firing quick, off-balance threes to get his shots - and he will get his shots. We just can't have games where he and Calhoun put up six three-point attempts because those are largely wasted possessions. He's not a point guard, he's not really a shooting guard and we're playing 20 mph faster than his top speed - I think he's buried deep. Be Donnell Beverly.

9) All in all, a great night. We looked like old-timey UConn tonight - I think a lot of folks are sleeping on this team.

It's good to see a front court with some bulk for a change. Miller and Enoch are big dudes, it even looks like Amida has added some muscle in the shoulders and arms.

Reaction Score

4) Squirrel!

So....Omar and Sam.

Agree with everything but if Omar is not out there to be a three point threat what exactly is he out there for? Just spot minutes to give the more talented players a quick breather?

Reaction Score
Squirrel!
2015AACMBBTournamentSMU-7.jpg

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I agree with everything the OP posted, most of all 4) Squirrel!
You might not really want to know what Fishy does to small creatures like chipmunks and squirrels. Oh, the horror of it! (But effective, I have heard).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Agree with everything but if Omar is not out there to be a three point threat what exactly is he out there for? Just spot minutes to give the more talented players a quick breather?

In a nutshell, yes.

But he's not without ability - I still remember the kid who played 32 minutes a game as a freshman.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Right, it was Maine, but damn this team looks loaded. They move the ball in the half court, run the break, have good athletes at every position and throw in some of the subs who can move. I get nervous when a good friend who isn't on the BY (what's a computer?) and has been a season's ticket holder almost since Hawley Armory days, gets excited. He's often a half-empty guy, but is thrilled with how they've looked on both sides of the ball, so we must be good.

C

Chief00

I agree with most of the points in the post. Freshmen will be inconsistent - Adams looked really good in the first exhibition and Enoch not so, but Enoch looked really good the next exhibition. Adams will develop into a real talent.

Miller looked really good tonight and Gibbs will score and assist in the flow of the game. They will give the team good stability and consistency - two things we lacked last season. Miller's rebounding will limit the number of 2 or 3 shot possessions which could be killers last season. Gibbs will settle the team down when needed and make some plays during scoring droughts.

Tonight Hamilton looked really good especially handling the ball; he will be a really tough matchup and his size and ability to play multiple positions will make it tough to game plan against. He is developing into the full package.

Sam Jr - I think I disagree on - not the assessment of his talent - although maybe he can be a little better shooter than we give him credit for. But, I do think Ollie will play him when he can and this season there will be plenty of comfortable leads so he can do it. I think Sam Jr is well liked by his teammates and is great to have as part of the team for both coaches and players - and Ollie likes him and so on.
Three point shooting is still a question mark in my mind but against most teams it will be by committee and good enough given the other ways we can score. In big games - I don't see who that great three point shooter is? I do think we have a collection of guys who can hit some - Gibbs, Adams, Hamilton, Calhoun. Purvis and Sam Jr. None are knock out 3 point shooters. The key will be to be unselfish and go with the guys that are relatively hot in a particular game.
I did not make it up to Gampel tonight but watched some of the game on TV - Purvis I am open to being the guy but I believe he is a little streaky and Hamilton will be our best player.

One thing this teams needs to guard against is playing great defense for 25 seconds + and then one player having a lapse by over helping and giving his man a wide open 3. Those can be back breakers against the more elite teams and this happened too often last year.

Finally, I am still waiting for our current Bigs coach to develop a big man - Miller doesn't count since he arrived a pretty mature and finished product. Enoch will be Coach Miller's opportunity. Brimah is a one man shot blocking machine and I am seeing progress avoiding stupid fouls that don't involve shot block attempts and being more vertical when he does that. Did I see him put on muscle this off season - no! It may be simply his body type. Brimah and Hamilton have the assist and dunk down to a science. Just makes you think what Hamilton could have done with Drummond?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Much more pleasant than I expected. Like going in for a colon exam and getting the doctor with the narrowest finger.

The caveat that this was Maine, but this team is fast at all positions and goes two deep on most of them.

I think it was the game thread, but Purvis will be checked by the weakest perimeter defender and Brimah gets the weaker post defender. That's a big time comparative advantage for UConn. Facey and Adams bring plus speed and athleticism off the bench.

Yeah, this team is going to exciting to watch.

Reaction Score
dont forget about Nolan. As much criticism as he gets, he definitely deserves some minutes out there probably over Facey and Enoch. Facey could jump him on the depth chart but only if that 6 and 6 isn't followed by a string of donuts like he was prone to doing last season

Reaction Score
Finally, I am still waiting for our current Bigs coach to develop a big man

Hey Chief, I like your general shtick, but you need to let your Glen Miller fetish go. It made you sound like an idiot in 2014 and it will make you sound like an idiot in 2016.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
dont forget about Nolan. As much criticism as he gets, he definitely deserves some minutes out there probably over Facey and Enoch. Facey could jump him on the depth chart but only if that 6 and 6 isn't followed by a string of donuts like he was prone to doing last season

Phil is a remarkable personality, but the reality is that he averaged less than two points and less than two rebounds in 15 minutes of playing time as a junior.

He played out of necessity last year, but there are multiple better options this season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree with most of the points in the post. Freshmen will be inconsistent - Adams looked really good in the first exhibition and Enoch not so, but Enoch looked really good the next exhibition. Adams will develop into a real talent.

Miller looked really good tonight and Gibbs will score and assist in the flow of the game. They will give the team good stability and consistency - two things we lacked last season. Miller's rebounding will limit the number of 2 or 3 shot possessions which could be killers last season. Gibbs will settle the team down when needed and make some plays during scoring droughts.

Tonight Hamilton looked really good especially handling the ball; he will be a really tough matchup and his size and ability to play multiple positions will make it tough to game plan against. He is developing into the full package.

Sam Jr - I think I disagree on - not the assessment of his talent - although maybe he can be a little better shooter than we give him credit for. But, I do think Ollie will play him when he can and this season there will be plenty of comfortable leads so he can do it. I think Sam Jr is well liked by his teammates and is great to have as part of the team for both coaches and players - and Ollie likes him and so on.
Three point shooting is still a question mark in my mind but against most teams it will be by committee and good enough given the other ways we can score. In big games - I don't see who that great three point shooter is? I do think we have a collection of guys who can hit some - Gibbs, Adams, Hamilton, Calhoun. Purvis and Sam Jr. None are knock out 3 point shooters. The key will be to be unselfish and go with the guys that are relatively hot in a particular game.
I did not make it up to Gampel tonight but watched some of the game on TV - Purvis I am open to being the guy but I believe he is a little streaky and Hamilton will be our best player.

One thing this teams needs to guard against is playing great defense for 25 seconds + and then one player having a lapse by over helping and giving his man a wide open 3. Those can be back breakers against the more elite teams and this happened too often last year.

Finally, I am still waiting for our current Bigs coach to develop a big man - Miller doesn't count since he arrived a pretty mature and finished product. Enoch will be Coach Miller's opportunity. Brimah is a one man shot blocking machine and I am seeing progress avoiding stupid fouls that don't involve shot block attempts and being more vertical when he does that. Did I see him put on muscle this off season - no! It may be simply his body type. Brimah and Hamilton have the assist and dunk down to a science. Just makes you think what Hamilton could have done with Drummond?

Once again, fail on your part. The are calling. Have some fun.

upload_2015-11-14_0-19-20.png

Reaction Score
this team is awesome....i am wondering if we experiment with a small ball lineup of adams-gibbs-purvis-hamilton-miller for stretches against the right team or if brimah picks up early fouls...that could be crazy

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Thought the crowd was awesome tonight, "sold out" for an opener against Maine was unexpected but with both ends student sections completely full it was so loud tonight. Loved the atmosphere, can't remember a home opening crowd like this against a subpar opponent. Team looked so deep hard to judge based on just Maine but hard not to be really excited about the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Phil is a remarkable personality, but the reality is that he averaged less than two points and less than two rebounds in 15 minutes of playing time as a junior.

He played out of necessity last year, but there are multiple better options this season.
I'm going to wait a few games before I begrudgingly agree with you. I thought Facey would get there last year but he disappeared more times than not. Enoch will be useful to body up big guys like stone on MD and Kennedy on SMU, but probably won't contribute much until nest year. More because of our unusual front court depth than his ability to improve.

Phil strikes me as possibly being this year's Olander. He'll get the obligatory minutes, but will be cheerleading during crunch time (unless Facey and Enoch don't show out)

C

Chief00

Hey Chief, I like your general shtick, but you need to let your Glen Miller fetish go. It made you sound like an idiot in 2014 and it will make you sound like an idiot in 2016.

So what big has he developed in various facets of the game to make me look silly - Lubin, Facey, Brimah (other than his natural shot blocking), Nolan? Again I like Coach Miller and think he is a good coach - just not a Bigs coach.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything Fishy said.

I just wish we had one more guard for the rotation. These hand-check rules have me jumpy.
Cassell was getting many guard minutes last night and seemed to be running some offensive sets (or at least pointing like he was). I think he fills that void, and is capable in half court sets. I believe he's the insurance you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom