We (UCONN) no longer have #1 recruiting class for 2017!? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We (UCONN) no longer have #1 recruiting class for 2017!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Holly needed strong class to help save her job.
Also Vols needed players. Next year's roster will have 13, but 5 of those will be seniors, and 2 others will be the desperation players they took in the off season to get some bodies.
I think there's a chance that Holly won't coach these kids.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
While you name three very good players, none of those three rise to the level of the ones I listed - they represent the typical kind of #1 ranked player or top 5 ranked player that you see most years - it is only the occasional HS class that has a game changer at the top.
Absolutely. I'm not quite sure what my point was, but I think there were two: (1) A small number of great players account for the vast majority of championships, and (2) other teams win only when the dominant teams have off-years. The 3 players I listed, while good, don't compare to the other 5.

Reaction Score
Good for them I am happy that they have a great recruiting class Perhaps they can do something with this bunch.... it is very hard to go out and buy the best ingredients, bring them home, and expect to put something great together when you are not the best cook

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good for them I am happy that they have a great recruiting class Perhaps they can do something with this bunch.... it is very hard to go out and buy the best ingredients, bring them home, and expect to put something great together when you are not the best cook
I predict that in four years there will be a thread on the TN site lamenting that for some reason all the TN recruits over the last fifteen years and especially this 2017 class were grossly overrated coming out of HS! :cool:

Reaction Score
Until Tennessee proves it can develop the talent it gets, I ain't worried. How many supposedly blue-chip recruits have gone to Tennessee only to plateau by the middle of their sophomore year? And that's a trend that pre-dates Holly.

Thank you! This is how I feel when I read the rankings, especially those of the elite programs. Sure the Lady Vols are #1 with landing top recruits for next year. But the key is what they do with developing that talent.

Reaction Score
A #1 recruiting class is great, but who did they sign in 2016? And in 2015, all they signed was Cooper and Jackson.

UConn in 2015 has the #1 player (Samuelson) and a Top 5 or so (Collier), they nabbed a Top 3 player (#1 PG Dangerfield) in 2016 and now the #1 player in 2017 (Walker) along with some other high quality recruits. I'll take that over a top class. Most top classes are based more on quantity.

Obviously a top recruiting class is always nice, Cal had one of the top recruiting class in 2009 (iirc) and they helped lead them to a F4 (even after transfer/Rogers medically retiring). UCLA's class with Canada/etc might be a F4 contender next year (they did lose Caldwell via transfer) though.

When Stanford was very good, I'm 95% sure they never had a Top 5 recruiting class (for sure not Top 3), they did however were able to recruit/land a VERY good player in consecutive years. Appel, Pedersen, N. Ogwumike were all Top 5 recruits. And obviously Chiney was #1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The rankings probably don't include transfers becoming eligible, so I'd say advantage UCONN.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's a helluva class for TN. :(
Got a PG, G, F and P. Nice distribution. Combined rankings of #3 (Westbrook), #9 (Davis), #11 (Hayes) and #17 (Kushkituah). That's some real nice work. But they needed it. They've got basically nothing the last couple of years (Cooper who's injured).

Just glad they still have Warlick. :D

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Meyers 7: Where did you get the #17 ranking for Kushkituah? I have her at #55

Reaction Score
As long as Holly is their coach it doesn't matter how many recruits they get.
UT needs to lose their biggest non-performer. Classic nepotism results.

Reaction Score
Yes, I believe it has been alluded to..... but this great class coming in (and congrats to Tenn staff for getting the recruiting job done here) .... how are you going to do anything with Holly when she consistently makes Sweet 16 or Elite 8 with this group? But that is getting ahead of this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom