We NEED to beat Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We NEED to beat Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
I think we need to avoid bad losses like a year ago and also take care of business in conference. Beating Maryland would be huge but not as do or die as we may think.

Beat OSU, GTown and have good record in conference without losing to bottom feeders and we will be fine...maybe not as high a tourney seed as we were envisioning but its all about getting in the field as we all know

Reaction Score
Maryland isn't even close to a must-win. It would be a terrific win, and help our future seeding immensely, but we're still almost assuredly going to be a tournament team win or lose.

We need a signature non-conference win for our resume which we lacked last season. Ohio State and Texas aren't very good so those won't be great wins. Wins vs. GTown and Maryland would make us much more appealing to the selection committee.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We need a signature non-conference win for our resume which we lacked last season. Ohio State and Texas aren't very good so those won't be great wins. Wins vs. GTown and Maryland would make us much more appealing to the selection committee.

We lacked a whole lot more than that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The best thing about getting into a p5 will be not having every game turned into a proxy for UConn's position in conference realignment.

Lol....especially because conference 'affiliators' don't give two sh1ts about basketball.

Reaction Score
Not sure it's a must win. But it will be if we continue to perform like the AAC is the Big East circa 1996 and go 0 for at SMU, Cincy, Memphis, Tulsa, Temple, and Houston again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn could win its 3rd championship in 5 years this year and it still won't make a difference in terms of moving to a P5.

Probably not it it would make me happy.

Reaction Score
We lacked a whole lot more than that.
And will be pointing at the Michigan win in March. Will be at least a top 50 win.

Won't be a "signature win" like GW beating UVA, but we don't need that much to get a decent seed if we win the games we are supposed to win OOC, and especially if we also win the conference. Being 3-3 OOC (assuming G'town and OSU wins with a MD loss) with those three losses being to top 30 teams really won't hurt seeding.

Plus, I imagine the team will be simply looking better in February and March. The selection committee definitely takes that into account.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plus, I imagine the team will be simply looking better in February and March. The selection committee definitely takes that into account.

Nope. They stopped taking "Last 10 games" into account a while ago. And I would certainly think "the eye test" isn't a big part of it either.

H

huskymagic

Yes we do need to beat Maryland for many of the reasons listed before. The guys we need to worry about from Maryland are Jake Layman and Melo Trimble. I am not impressed with what I have seen from Stone and Carter. Brimah, Miller, Facey, and Enoch are more than enough to contain those 2 and even outplay them. We need to key in on both Layman and Trimble. Layman reminds me of a Giffey/Daniels combination with good hops to boot. Need to contain Melo Trimble's penetration. I don't like having Gibbs on him. Jalen will be needed immensely in this game to guard Trimble at the 3 point line and to prevent penetration. D-Ham needs to be ready for the defensive challenge against Layman.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nope. They stopped taking "Last 10 games" into account a while ago. And I would certainly think "the eye test" isn't a big part of it either.

I'm convinced most of them don't actually watch any games.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this has any bearing but we are tuning up for this game with Sacred Heart, Maryland with North Carolina. Maybe it tires them out or if they get beat maybe they are more motivated. Hoping for a 3 overtime win against NC.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Don't know if this has any bearing but we are tuning up for this game with Sacred Heart, Maryland with North Carolina. Maybe it tires them out or if they get beat maybe they are more motivated. Hoping for a 3 overtime win against NC.

UMD can even play 6 over-times against UNC - but that will not have a negative effect. Their game is tomorrow and we meet them 1 week later. So they will be rested. It's not like its next day. We'll be rooting for them to beat UNC for all the reasons mentioned previously.

I'm hoping UConn shows with some spunk and energy on the defensive side (for 40 min). That's how UConn will beat UMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom