We Need an Identity | The Boneyard

We Need an Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I've been going to UConn football games since 06'. To me, we don't have a home field advantage and we don't have an identity. When people think of UConn Football, what do they think of? For me, its hard to think of something.

When you think of the following schools here is what comes to mind:
  • Boise State - blue field
  • Oregon - uniforms, motorcycle entrance, option/spread offense
  • Alabama - Roll Tide, Rammer Jammer, championships.
  • Clemson - Running down the hill, up-tempo offense
  • Oklahoma - Wagon entrance and guns
Now everyone knows I'm a die-hard basketball fan, but I haven't missed a football game since 06'. To me, we don't do anything that is memorable. Nothing that leaves someone watching on TV or a visiting fan going, "wow that thing UConn does is really cool."

I may be dumb and wrong, but I feel like we're just floating around in the conference realignment netherworld because we don't have an identity. Our closest thing is our "run-game" from like 2006-2010. Other than that we've had 1 QB to throw for more than 25 TD's.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
"The Big Hurt". That should be our identity. We're a Northeast, smash mouth football team. UConn should be the team that every other team knows will hurt them physically on the field with punishing O-Line, RB, LB, and DB play.

Reaction Score
It would seem to be "Husky Up" has been something (not sure where it started) but that would take the place of "Roll Tide" in relation to Uconn.

Reaction Score
They didn't "Ring The Bell" after Marriner's touchdown, I don't think. Start with that.
I know they have done that as far back as memorial stadium...BUT after Pasqualoni pushed the slogan "Ring the Bell" I hope they sent that thing packing with him

Reaction Score
They didn't "Ring The Bell" after Marriner's touchdown, I don't think. Start with that.
I know they have done that as far back as memorial stadium...BUT after Pasqualoni pushed the slogan "Ring the Bell" I hope they sent that thing packing with him

I don't think they had time to Ring it. ESPN for some reason did not cut to a commercial after that score. The refs were rushing off the cheerleaders so they could resume play again.

Reaction Score
greg-thumb-550x688.jpg

This.

This was our identity at its best.

Tough, bend-but-don't-break D, big but underrated OL, smashmouth running game. Team leaders and players that played with confidence.

Gotta get some of that back.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
It would seem to be "Husky Up" has been something (not sure where it started) but that would take the place of "Roll Tide" in relation to Uconn.
I hate to shoot holes in anything that may galvanize our fan base but the "husky up" slogan is a sham. It is a generic slogan given to uconn by nike, I was sitting in a predominant BYU section and saw many "BYU up" Nike shirts just like we're given to the uconn student section. The marketing department needs to get in touch with the youth of the university, if you can engage the younger crowd the attendance and hopefully identity will follow. You can't force these things, just like coach ollies "take the stairs" quote it has to be something organic.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I didn't know medic and HFD were Nike employees.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I feel like we won't win big with a smash mouth style offense. I think with Newsome, Johnson, and Marriner we can open the field up with more of a spread type of offense. I know it'll never happen, but we have the personnel to open it up and score some points.

And about traditions and whatnot, I have no idea. We need something. Home games haven't changed since the Rent opened. Honestly, besides the tailgating and the game, the whole gameday experience is sort of generic and bland.

Reaction Score
I hate to bring up the helmet topic again but didn't we already establish last year that white helmets at home and blue on the road is the best look? Actually, we should just scrap the blue helmet all together unless we ever move back to the block C, they don't look good at all.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
We see Oregon's Nike uniforms every year. And this is what we get.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Ha... I believe it was @tcf15 w/ HFD on #huskyup
You're right, my bad @tcf15!
I hate to bring up the helmet topic again but didn't we already establish last year that white helmets at home and blue on the road is the best look? Actually, we should just scrap the blue helmet all together unless we ever move back to the block C, they don't look good at all.
My guess is they went with blue since BYU has white helmets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom