We are MAC level | The Boneyard

We are MAC level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Today would not be too bad if it were against real BCS competition, and by that I mean, not sustaining drives, playing for field goals, punting . . . I could excuse it all if we were playing top defenses, top teams. Two touchdowns and four field goal attempts against Penn State or Wisconsin and losing is a not unrespectable performance. Against Temple it is embarassing. It's not something you can take heart in or find something good about.

We are MAC caliber. We have played 4 MAC teams this year, and we are 2-2. Temple is first year out of the MAC and have largely MAC level talent on the team. Their quarterback, surprise, surprise, was much better than ours, and their playcalling was more imaginative and productive against our much better defense. We lost to WMU. We beat Buffalo at home in what turned out to be a nailbiter. Northern Illinois beat Buffalo yesterday 45-3. How does that make you feel? Does anyone want to take on Northern Illinois?

UMass is first year in the MAC. They are playing with 1AA talent. FCS. Do we beat Umass next year?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agreed. Our lines can barely play even with MAC teams, 5 years ago we pushed them all over the field. Our skill players are either undersized or slow, or sometimes both. (although we appear to have better hands out their this year). My wife asked me yesterday why we have failed to find kids that can throw and catch over the last 10 years, when we had them playing at Memorial Stadium. The guy who did the punt, pass and kick competition threw a longer, tighter pass than anyone playing yesterday.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The biggest indictment of the coaching staff is the unbelievably bad teams we keep losing to in embarrassing fashion. None of these teams have been impressive at all. NCST and Rutgers are not good teams. I don't care what the media has to say about them. Losses to Temple and WMU in any previous year would have casued a similar WTF meltdown.

PP took an 8 win program with 2 conf titles in three years and a BCS appearance into a 5 win program.

Most importantly he lost the momentum and respect we had built through the early rise of the program that was the justification for his hiring in the first place.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The biggest indictment of the coaching staff is the unbelievably bad teams we keep losing to in embarrassing fashion. None of these teams have been impressive at all. NCST and Rutgers are not good teams. I don't care what the media has to say about them. Losses to Temple and WMU in any previous year would have casued a similar WTF meltdown.

PP took an 8 win program with 2 conf titles in three years and a BCS appearance into a 5 win program.

Most importantly he lost the momentum and respect we had built through the early rise of the program that was the justification for his hiring in the first place.

It's not a 5 win team yet.

Reaction Score
It's not a 5 win team yet.
No, but that's really the ceiling this year. We have 5 games left. Pitt and Syracuse are train wrecks like us. USF too. Anyone of those games is available for whoever craps their pants the least. Cincy and Ville are L column already, I would just give them the games. Too many of our guys could get hurt. Win 2 out of 3 of USF, Pitt and Cuse, and we are right in there at 5-7. Enjoy the season.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Let me clarify. There will always be some variance in the number of games a team should win based on talent and preparedness. The ball can bounce strangely. It's a good season when you meet or exceed these expectations.
In 2007, we had a 9 win team and won 9 games.
In 2008, we had a 10 win team and won 8 games.
In 2009, we had a 10 win team and won 8 games, with some very extenuating circumstances.
In 2010, we had a 10 win team and won 8 games.
In 2011, we had an 8 win team and won 5 games.
And now in 2012, we have a better defense, a better QB, better receivers with an O-line and special teams not as good. Based on personnel and the eyeball test, we should very conservatively be sitting on 5 wins with an expectation of 2-3 more. Instead we have 3 and can only expect 1-2 more at the current rate of play.

So when I say PP took an 8 win program and turned it into a 5 win program, it goes beyond the current record.

Reaction Score

NCST and Rutgers are light-years ahead of us. Our defense played very well against NCST, and almost as well against RU. If not for them, the Cochran rule might have been in effect.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Our defense is also missing two starting defensive linemen.

Reaction Score
The defense has been as good as any we have ever had and they are always on the field. I don't understand why people lump them in with our underperforming offense.

Northen Illinois put up 45 vs Buffalo yesterday. Yikes.

Reaction Score
Edsall had a reputation of not losing games we were supposed to win OOC. I think Navy and Temple were his only 2 bad OOC loses since 2003. With PP we've already lost to WMU twice and Temple in his first two years.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
NCST and Rutgers are light-years ahead of us. Our defense played very well against NCST, and almost as well against RU. If not for them, the Cochran rule might have been in effect.

I couldn't disagree more. We gave up 29pts in those two games. If we ran only as well we did a year ago, not a great year by our standards, we win both of those games. They are not light years ahead of us.

Reaction Score
Our defense is like an Italian sports car. Fast flashy and high performance. But it breaks down when you need it the most if you use it too much.

Reaction Score
I couldn't disagree more. We gave up 29pts in those two games. If we ran only as well we did a year ago, not a great year by our standards, we win both of those games. They are not light years ahead of us.

if...

Reaction Score
Our defense is like an Italian sports car. Fast flashy and high performance. But it breaks down when you need it the most if you use it too much.

Two huge stops on 4th and one yesterday when we needed it most.

Reaction Score

No - it's a Jaguar.

Reaction Score
Hey, I've got a Jaguar. They're not that bad!!!

Background - sorry.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/31689/whats-best-workhorse-back-or-split-carries

Coach PP in response to a John Silver question:

"I don’t want a guy that’s got to come out of the game," Pasqualoni told reporters in Connecticut. "I don’t want a guy that’s saying I’m tired, take me out. I don’t want a Jaguar. Do you know what a Jaguar is? The Jaguar is always in the shop, always breaking down so I don’t want a Jaguar. I want a durable guy and if we put him in the game he stays in the game and he stays in the game. We’re trying to develop the depth we have but I’m all for one guy staying out there. Now we’re going to use the talents and ability we have but I want them all to be able to do it if you know what I mean.”

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

....said the man who has never owned a Lamborghini... ;)

lamborghini_gallardo-gallery.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak