WBCA high school all American game cancelled | The Boneyard

WBCA high school all American game cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There will be NO WBCA game this year and it doesn't sound like its coming back, Saniya was one of 20 WBCA all American last year and played in the game, this year they will only name 10 players but no game or festivities,

I don't know what caused this but I'm checking around

http://www.wbca.org/awards/wbca-awards/hs-aat/

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There will be NO WBCA game this year and it doesn't sound like its coming back, Saniya was one of 20 WBCA all American last year and played in the game, this year they will only name 10 players but no game or festivities,

I don't know what caused this but I'm checking around
Very disappointing.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Gonna guess they lost sponsorship and attendance never took off. Hugely expensive to put together.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I assume the Mickey D game is still on....guys and gals.

Reaction Score
Too bad. I remember attending the 1998 WBCA game at the Civic Center the year that included all members of the TASSK force. I think when the game was staged in Hartford it was a financial success or at least broke even.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Game was usually not held in the F4 Arena, which I never understood. Since the NCAA has the F4 arena for the weekend, why not hold it there was there is a stronger possibility that fans attending the F4 might watch. There would be no arena cost if it was. Also why not hold it between team practices the day before the F4 and at least the coaches and fans of schools might attend. Heck charge $1 or $2 or similar amount for the team practices and the fans also get the WBCA All Star Game.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Repeat story here...I just think it is way cool.

I went to some national high school all-star game in Hartford in April of 2000. One Diana
Taurasi was playing....she had already signed her LOI to attend UConn.
She displayed obvious super talent but also exhibited more than a little french pastry
with some passes and dribbling exhibitions and tossed up a few ill-advised shots.
Hey....it WAS an all-star game....Dee has always had some Hollywood in her.

After the game the late Randy Smith [Journal Inquirer reporter] was sitting in some part of the bowels of the Civic Center when Dee walked by. He had never met her and obviously attended the game to see what the buzz was all about. Randy sees her approaching and says 'Diana, you can't play like that at UConn'.

Dee's response: 'I know that, sir'....and strode on into the night.

Olde School Randy wrote about this exchange in a subsequent article. And I swear that he fell in love with her for the next 4 years due to her response to his criticism.
Every article he wrote about her during her Storrs stay was just brimming with affection.

Those 4 words she spoke to him that night wrapped him around her little finger forevermore.

RIP...Randy Smith.

Reaction Score
Repeat story here...I just think it is way cool.

I went to some national high school all-star game in Hartford in April of 2000. One Diana
Taurasi was playing....she had already signed her LOI to attend UConn.
She displayed obvious super talent but also exhibited more than a little french pastry
with some passes and dribbling exhibitions and tossed up a few ill-advised shots.
Hey....it WAS an all-star game....Dee has always had some Hollywood in her.

After the game the late Randy Smith [Journal Inquirer reporter] was sitting in some part of the bowels of the Civic Center when Dee walked by. He had never met her and obviously attended the game to see what the buzz was all about. Randy sees her approaching and says 'Diana, you can't play like that at UConn'.

Dee's response: 'I know that, sir'....and strode on into the night.

Olde School Randy wrote about this exchange in a subsequent article. And I swear that he fell in love with her for the next 4 years due to her response to his criticism.
Every article he wrote about her during her Storrs stay was just brimming with affection.

Those 4 words she spoke to him that night wrapped him around her little finger forevermore.

RIP...Randy Smith.
My wife and I were also at the game and I remember my wife making the comment that Diana is too much of a "hot dog" and didn't like her. Needless to say she quickly changed her opinion once Diana started her freshman year and played "team" ball.

Reaction Score
Game was usually not held in the F4 Arena, which I never understood. Since the NCAA has the F4 arena for the weekend, why not hold it there was there is a stronger possibility that fans attending the F4 might watch. There would be no arena cost if it was. Also why not hold it between team practices the day before the F4 and at least the coaches and fans of schools might attend. Heck charge $1 or $2 or similar amount for the team practices and the fans also get the WBCA All Star Game.

The WBCA game has been held after the F4 open practices at the F4 arena for the last few years; there was no charge to attend. I'm sure that cut down on the cost but it still meant keeping the arena open an extra 2 hours, plus the cost of uniforms, etc.

It is too bad that they couldn't find a sponsor to keep the game going. The WBCA teams would be around through out the day and at hoop city, giving the fans a chance to meet them.
WBCA Chong Cal Bear.JPG

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Damn! I was looking forward to it in Nashville. I enjoyed watching Saniya, plus Mercedes, Kaela, Taylor, et al. And Bria, Samarie, Chiney, et al. in San Antonio.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
They tried a variety of ways to market the game -- they charged, they offered it for free, they played it at Tulane or Georgia Tech, they played it in the F4 arena.Having it at the FF arena was a way to get press and fans there. The arena is open full time for practice and press -- probably no extra cost - or, rather insignificant. And how cool for those HS players to play on the F4 court. fans just didn't attend.

But I'll miss it - it was fun to see the new players live. Even more fun to see all the coaches hanging out.

Heck, remember when there was a SENIORS game? Remember when the seniors played the National Team? Remember when they had the wheelchair game between games?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Was at the seniors game Cappie's senior year, and I think 2 WBCA games (one was 2007, of course, when we were there anyhow). That one was down the road at Cleveland State, I think. The senior game was in Boston, among the coaches I said hello to Andy Landers in the refreshment line. Also attended some such game in the Palestra, I guess was 2000 since it was FF connected, although to be honest I don't really remember.

Reaction Score
Big changes are needed in the WCBB game and HS games or these type things are on the way especially if they start playing players....Where are the TV suites and their solutions........IMO, ESPN has really drooped off with the support........Outside of UCONN, very poor TV coverage, No WCBB shows to promote upcoming games.....They think ESPN 3 is the way, IMO to the poor house.......

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Big changes are needed in the WCBB game and HS games or these type things are on the way especially if they start playing players....Where are the TV suites and their solutions...IMO, ESPN has really drooped off with the support...Outside of UCONN, very poor TV coverage, No WCBB shows to promote upcoming games.....They think ESPN 3 is the way, IMO to the poor house..

If fans aren't willing to spend the money it costs to cover women's basketball, why would any business make the effort. ESPN has actually committed more coverage on the wbball site - espnW, Graham, Michelle, Mechelle and Kate have been writing, video blogging etc. Simply put - wbball fans aren't interested in putting their money where their mouth is. "What! Pay 50$ for streaming!?!?!"

ESPN3 is the future of access to any sport.

And the only players that are going to get paid (I'm assuming you're referring to college) are the top 25 basketball and football (men's) players.

Reaction Score
WBCA game has lost it's Nike sponsorship, also called the Nike All American game,

What allows for the girls McDonalds game is being with the boys game, the boys game makes money and is for a great cause, the game is now sponsored by Adidas

The WBCA would have been better served to try to link up with a boys game like the Jordan brand classic sponsored by Nike

Maybe they have plans for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle