"Way-too-early" rankings | The Boneyard

"Way-too-early" rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn Men's Basketball absent from "Way-too-early" rankings:

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/4/...basketball-absent-from-way-too-early-rankings

"Even though expectations are low heading into the season, UConn has done well in upgrading the roster and amassing talented new pieces. With some continued development and time together as a unit, the Huskies are primed to exceed those expectations."

I guess the various media outlets and general public have "low expectations" for the Huskies next season. Complete opposite on this board. No surprise on this.

I love when everyone else doubts the Huskies and I'm going to love when those same media outlets are talking more about Jalen Adams and the success of the Huskies, then they are the likes of Briscoe and Newman.

Reaction Score
They will have to earn respect and rankings next season. No reason to believe that they won't.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I'll be shocked if we don't win #5 if we add that shooter.

I think a lot of us are hoping we can add 1 more key piece to the puzzle that will fit into the roster and be accepted by our current players. Landing Miller was essential. The kid is an All Universe human being and has the intellect of a young Einstein. In a perfect world we find a way to make 1 more key addition. Looking at the new updated transfer list as of the 24th we are not mentioned much at all. If you are a big Omar or Sam Jr. fan you guys should be elated.

Reaction Score
considering we lost by far our best player from a team that couldnt even make the tournament or win a home game in the first round of the NIT, im not going to blame the media for 'underestimating' us
I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't have added the NIT thing since Boatshow didn't play. With him, we advance to the next round.

With that said, a lot of this team's success rides on the shoulders of our freshman PG, Adams. Boat had to carry this team most of the season and Adams needs to fill those shoes. That's a lot to ask, but from all I've heard and read, he's quite a talent and cut from the same mold as Kemba, Bazz & Boat. If the team can defend close to how they did this past season, everyone elevate their games where we don't have so many scoring droughts that plagued last year's team, they can develop into a team to be reckoned with.

Considering who left, who returns and who they added, though let's see who else they add, I'm fine being outside the top 25, and expected such. Let's hope they play their way into the top 25 early on and move their way up as the season goes on.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs would throw us in there for sure...

Either way the potential is there and low expectations are the best.

Reaction Score
UConn Men's Basketball absent from "Way-too-early" rankings:

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/4/...basketball-absent-from-way-too-early-rankings

"Even though expectations are low heading into the season, UConn has done well in upgrading the roster and amassing talented new pieces. With some continued development and time together as a unit, the Huskies are primed to exceed those expectations."

I guess the various media outlets and general public have "low expectations" for the Huskies next season. Complete opposite on this board. No surprise on this.

I love when everyone else doubts the Huskies and I'm going to love when those same media outlets are talking more about Jalen Adams and the success of the Huskies, then they are the likes of Briscoe and Newman.

It doesn't matter what rank we are at the beginning of the year. It is the end that counts! I like when we are off the radar and then slowly climb as the season goes on. Better to work our way into the top 15 or better late in the season than start high and fall out like some years.

Reaction Score
we were unranked going into the 10-11 season also. But were were number 1 going into 03-04.

Reaction Score

People here have high expectations? There's a difference between expectations and hopes.

I hope that UConn wins every game they play. I expect they'll lose somewhere in the range of... 8-12?

Reaction Score
We lost Boat, who is obviously irreplaceable and the leader of the team, but with the expected development of Purvis, Hamilton, etc. as well as the additions we are making, i expect us to be very good. Definitely some growing pains early, but by Mid-January i believe we will be #1 or #2 in the AAC

Reaction Score
We have the talent on paper to be a top25 team next year and probably sweet 16. Though this is with JA having an impact and not having a lot of rookie mistakes. We also have to hope Miller is as advertised and DHAM and RPURV have improved. If we can get this to happen we are definitely top 25 with everyone else giving us the same input. I do expect AB to improve also but we now have more depth down low to make up for when he isn't playing well.

Reaction Score
You'd have to go back to 2009 to find a UConn team where the results ended up in-line with the preseason expectations.
Exactly. When they've been expected to be good they've under achieved and when they've expected to be not so good they've ended up much better than expected. Give me the latter scenario any day.

I'm banking on big improvement from a lot of the players coming back. As important as Boat was to last year's team I actually think it will prove to be advantageous that he's not on the team next year. I think some of the players deferred to him too much and let him bail them out. They won't have that crutch next year and I think all of them are capable of doing more.

Miller was a big piece to add the puzzle since he compensates for a weakness last year (rebounding and a true 4 who could score). This moves Hamilton to the 3. Still need another ball handler. Whether that player is currently on the roster, or they need to add another piece, remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
Don't want them any where near being respected when they come out in October. Better that way

Reaction Score
Wow its April fellows. There's plants that need planting, grass cutting, fish to be caught, baseball games to go and see, trips to be taken, summer clothes that need to be taken out of the closet, etc..

Recruits, Boat's graduation, coaching changes, player development and all important and good to keep up with this early in off season.

With that said, how much time (brain power) should we devote on such a prediction in April or how important is it?

Just saying "so what?!" in more words than necessary.

Reaction Score
Way too early to predict were we end right now as we need guys to improve so we can be competitive. We still are missing another ball handler and our bench doesn't look that good. We really have to hope all the starters including JA and SM have good years. Let's wait and see. We have talent but still too many unknowns to predict were we can end up. Right now we could be a top 25 team to out of the tournament for next year.

Reaction Score
You'd have to go back to 2009 to find a UConn team where the results ended up in-line with the preseason expectations.

The last team that was truly fun to watch from November through April.

Actually, I would argue that as far as the regular season is concerned, we about played to expectations in 2013 and 2014, and post-2009 we've been: worse, much better, much worse, slightly better, about the same, and worse than expectations. To be honest, the problem isn't that we've underachieved, it's that our "on paper" teams have not been up to par in the first place.

As a result, we're going to have to be better than expectations in 2016 to get back in the national picture.

I would consider 2016 a success if we end up spending more weeks ranked than unranked and being seeded so to have a reasonable shot at the Sweet 16. Basically, like the 2014 regular season (but with a different starting point ranking-wise).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom