Way too early POY watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Way too early POY watch

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ionescu is being touted by ESPN as the NPOY. Same thing ESPN did with Wilson last year. Kelly is going to give her all the minutes she needs.

Lou & Pheesa are going to split votes.
Are you referring to a specific article where ESPN is touting Ionescu as NPOY?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ionescu has been playing big minutes her entire career, nothing new this year. Yaeger is out injured currently, Chavez is literally the ONLY reserve in the back court currently. Not a deep rotation.

Reaction Score
But she played33 minutes, more than anyone else on the team. Kelly seems to be giving her PT to go after records.
Kelly wasn’t even there tonight. As another poster mentioned earlier Oregon only has one healthy guard off the bench. She’ll be playing those minutes whether she is close to a triple double or not.

Reaction Score
Nov. 9th article by Mechele Voepel - Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu is ESPNw's preseason player of the year.

They gotta pick somebody. It’s kinda weird that they suddenly decided to love Ionescu this year when last season they barely recognized her in their ESPNW player of the week selections, even though she was racking up those triple doubles.

2017-2018 ESPNW Player of the Week
1. Asia Durr
2. Kelsey Mitchell
3. Shakayla Thomas
4. Loryn Goodwin
5. Chennedy Carter
6. Emily Clemens
7. Brittany McPhee
8. Jasmyne Harris
9. Asia Durr
10. Shakayla Thomas
11. Kristy Wallace
12. Brittany McPhee
13. Kitija Laksa
14. Katie Lou Samuelson
15. Sabrina Ionescu

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
We're 2 short months in but here's what I'm seeing thus far. (2-3 was tough for me but so far I give nod to Lou)
1. Ionescu 21ppg, 7.8reb, 7.9ast, 47%FG, 55% 3pt, 89% FT (on what will be a top 5 Oregon team)
2. Lou 20.1ppg, 7.5reb, 3.9ast, 45% FG, 39% 3pt, 86% FT
3. Pheesa 18.9ppg, 10.9reb, 3.6ast, 59% FG, 64% FT (2-11 from 3)
4. Arike 22.9ppg, 6.4reb, 3.7ast, 46% FG, 27.5% 3pt, 74%FT
5. Anigwe 23.6ppg, 13.7reb, 0.7ast, 54%FG, 54% 3pt (limited attempts), 61%FT

I have Durr, Gustafson & McCowan outside top 5 for now.

I agree it's way to early, but since you chose Anigwe over McCowan I'll simply point out that...

- McCowan is averaging 17 and 12.7 in just 26 minutes a game while learning to play with one of the better rebounders in the country.

- She takes 10 shots a game vs Anigwe's 17. Extrapolate with her shooting % (70%), adding no FTs, and she's at 25 pts/gm.

- There's little doubt she's the most effective rebounder in the country and she also has better or comparable numbers in all other major categories save 3 ptrs.

Way to early, but food for thought.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They gotta pick somebody. It’s kinda weird that they suddenly decided to love Ionescu this year when last season they barely recognized her in their ESPNW player of the week selections, even though she was racking up those triple doubles.

2017-2018 ESPNW Player of the Week
1. Asia Durr
2. Kelsey Mitchell
3. Shakayla Thomas
4. Loryn Goodwin
5. Chennedy Carter
6. Emily Clemens
7. Brittany McPhee
8. Jasmyne Harris
9. Asia Durr
10. Shakayla Thomas
11. Kristy Wallace
12. Brittany McPhee
13. Kitija Laksa
14. Katie Lou Samuelson
15. Sabrina Ionescu

Wilson didn't get player of the week one time last year?

Reaction Score
Sabrina with another triple double. Also, played until the 4-minute mark left in the game in a 115-69 victory :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I agree it's way to early, but since you chose Anigwe over McCowan I'll simply point out that...

- McCowan is averaging 17 and 12.7 in just 26 minutes a game while learning to play with one of the better rebounders in the country.

- She takes 10 shots a game vs Anigwe's 17. Extrapolate with her shooting % (70%), adding no FTs, and she's at 25 pts/gm.

- There's little doubt she's the most effective rebounder in the country and she also has better or comparable numbers in all other major categories save 3 ptrs.

Way to early, but food for thought.
I’m with you, I believe McCowan is better. This isn’t my list of whom I think is best but it’s just 1 persons opinion of what I’ve seen thus far. It’s not how I think it will end.

Reaction Score
Sabrina with another triple double. Also, played until the 4-minute mark left in the game in a 115-69 victory :rolleyes:
she grabbed her 10th rebound at 4:17 left in the 4th & subbed out at the 3:53 mark. But that’s not because they were leaving her in to get the triple double right?? :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook is having a great season that deserves consideration. 18 pts. / 5 assists (50% fg / 56% 3fg)

Evina Westbrook having breakout season for No. 9 Tennessee

Over her last four games, Westbrook has averaged 25.3 points and 5.8 assists for the ninth-ranked Lady Vols (8-1), who may fall out of the top 10 following their 95-85 loss Tuesday to No. 8 Stanford.
I think if you go 0-5 and score only 2 points against East Tennessee State, you're pretty much disqualified.

Reaction Score
I hope they don’t just pick a player because of what team they’re on. The POY should be one that has well rounded stats and makes their team better (I know it’s not an MVP award but it is still should represent a team player since it’s a team sport). Anigwe has been vital for this Cal team and her assist numbers might be better if she had teammates that could score. Pheesa to me seems like the best option of these players because she makes her team better even beyond what the stats show. I would say Ionescu, but whenever I watch her it’s like she’s playing to get a triple double rather than make smart passes or take good shots. Still, those numbers don’t lie and I’d have to say that Oregon wouldn’t be where they are without her.
I totally disagree. You seem to over value her impact on Oregon. With out her Oregon would still be were it always has been. Between the Pacific Ocean and Idaho with Washington to the north and California to the South.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Meh. Ionescu played 32 minutes. Oregon has a really short bench. Chavez played 23 minutes, Gildon 17, Giomi 18 (probably a career high for her) and Yaeger coming off an injury played 6. That's all the available players they have. Not sure what some of you are expecting, or if you just want to complain. I kinda notice that any time a non-UConn player does something statistically significant some here feel the need to try to de-legitimize it somehow.

Reaction Score
Wilson didn't get player of the week one time last year?
She deserved that award. Some of the players on that list didn’t perform consistently throughout the year. There were other players who were all Americans that didn’t get player of the week. Those awards are based one week not the entire year.

Reaction Score
Meh. Ionescu played 32 minutes. Oregon has a really short bench. Chavez played 23 minutes, Gildon 17, Giomi 18 (probably a career high for her) and Yaeger coming off an injury played 6. That's all the available players they have. Not sure what some of you are expecting, or if you just want to complain. I kinda notice that any time a non-UConn player does something statistically significant some here feel the need to try to de-legitimize it somehow.
The question is...if Lou or Pheesa averages more points & rebounds than Ionescu & are on the number 1 team at the end of the year, do they win over her despite her triple-doubles?? Because that seems to be very realistic.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She deserved that award. Some of the players on that list didn’t perform consistently throughout the year. There were other players who were all Americans that didn’t get player of the week. Those awards are based one week not the entire year.

Not at all saying she didn't deserve it, just a little surprised ESPN never picked her for their weekly award.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I'll second all of this and especially the last comment. Last year Wilson was "the player who gets more good press than she really deserves," a judgment clearly disproven by her first year in the WNBA. This year Ionescu has become the leading candidate for that award. There seem to be some fans here (not a lot, but too many imo) who have a very difficult time crediting accomplishments that occur outside of the UCONN orbit. This shouldn't be a zero-sum game. Surely, one can give Lou or Pheesa the praise they deserve without having to denigrate what players do elsewhere.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The question is...if Lou or Pheesa averages more points & rebounds than Ionescu & are on the number 1 team at the end of the year, do they win over her despite her triple-doubles?? Because that seems to be very realistic.

I think to be national player of the year, someone has to be clearly the best player on her team. I would say that Collier is the best player on UConn this year, but others would say Samuelson, so it’s definitely not clear.

Question: does a head coach nominate one player from his/her team for NPOY awards? Maybe some but not others?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom