Washington Post article | The Boneyard

Washington Post article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, this is an insidious article; it's like a "blame the victim" charge (it's not; but it's like that). The reporter argues that MCBB is popular because anyone can win, but WCBB isn't interesting because UConn dominates. But the usual--and correct point--is that UConn and a couple of other elite teams actually MAKE WCBB as popular as it is by demonstrating the sport at its highest level. Did writers at the time claim that UCLA MCBB ruining the game? The fact that this guy even bothers to write about WCBB is because of UCONN. Otherwise, he'd be writing about junior high school paddle ball.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don' think it's insidious at all.
Speaks of our terrific play
and hopes other teams can step up, just as Geno does.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Actually, this is an insidious article; it's like a "blame the victim" charge (it's not; but it's like that). The reporter argues that MCBB is popular because anyone can win, but WCBB isn't interesting because UConn dominates. But the usual--and correct point--is that UConn and a couple of other elite teams actually MAKE WCBB as popular as it is by demonstrating the sport at its highest level. Did writers at the time claim that UCLA MCBB ruining the game? The fact that this guy even bothers to write about WCBB is because of UCONN. Otherwise, he'd be writing about junior high school paddle ball.
Mostly writers just ignored men's college basketball back in the UCLA days. It is amazing the explosion of media hours and columns that sports now generates. There were pockets of interest in college basketball but almost all the reporting was local or at best conference centric and the WNIT and NCAA drew interest from participating team fans and not the general public. Outside of large city papers on a weekly round-up basis, you might have a hard time even finding results outside of local interest teams.

Reaction Score
Insidious? Huh? The think-skinned are getting thick as thieves here....There is nothing insidious about an article in which the author says what Geno has been saying for years -- that other teams need to step up the quality of their plan sop they can give UConn a game. That's not insidious. That's truth.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
When you look for trouble, you will usually find it. It would appear the OP has found it.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score

upload_2016-3-3_22-36-29.png

-
It’s easy for mere spectators, and writers sitting comfortably weeks later musing about minimal ‘10-Point Victory Margins, to forget just how hard UConn has fought – and had to fight – repeatedly gutting it out and rising to the occasion to overcome tough teams like Maryland.

- Nobody I saw sitting at MSG thought Maryland wasn’t good enough… when they seized the momentum (making 8 of their last 9 shots), closing the score to just 4 points with 1:06 remaining in the 4th Period.

-Then, Kia Nurse’s decisiveness, slicing inward, between three defenders she drew in, successfully improvising a dish with superb athleticism… to a cool-as-ice Saniya Chong …calling for the ball when the chips were down… Big Time Game, Big Time Shot, Big Time Team.

- Big Time Players fighting their way through the toughest practices, toughest conditioning program, and very best efforts of the likes of Maryland, USF, South Carolina, Notre Dame,… while carrying the biggest target on their back ever seen in WCBB – “Stop Their Four-Peat!” But now some argue WCBB won’t be interesting because of a stat… UConn thus far is winning by at least 10? Well.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't understand why people are upset that the same team win all the time (or close to it). As mentioned above you had the UCLA men team. What happened was NC State and Maryland had great recruiting classes (Maryland claiming they were the UCLA of the east - NC State made sure that didn't come to fruition). Then NC State beat Bill Walton and UCLA and the bar was raised. You had the Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty, The NY Islanders and Edmonston Oilers. And last you had the great Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls teams. Excellence should be applauded, not belittled like this guy seem to be doing. It's up to the other programs to "move up" to UConn's level and I think you'll see that next season. I hope this guy changes his tune this time next season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't understand why people are upset that the same team win all the time (or close to it). As mentioned above you had the UCLA men team. What happened was NC State and Maryland had great recruiting classes (Maryland claiming they were the UCLA of the east - NC State made sure that didn't come to fruition). Then NC State beat Bill Walton and UCLA and the bar was raised. You had the Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty, The NY Islanders and Edmonston Oilers. And last you had the great Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls teams. Excellence should be applauded, not belittled like this guy seem to be doing. It's up to the other programs to "move up" to UConn's level and I think you'll see that next season. I hope this guy changes his tune this time next season.
What people don't realize is that other teams have already stepped up their game and next year will be more competitive for the same reason that men's basketball is more competitive on a yearly basis - the best players leave. In the women's game that happens because they use up their eligibility and graduate, in the mens game, they were only on an extended recruiting visit. Women's basketball will be more competitive because Stewart and Jefferson graduate. Men's basketball because Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray, freshman, will be drafted by the NBA this summer.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 12263

-
It’s easy for mere spectators, and writers sitting comfortably weeks later musing about minimal ‘10-Point Victory Margins, to forget just how hard UConn has fought – and had to fight – repeatedly gutting it out and rising to the occasion to overcome tough teams like Maryland.

- Nobody I saw sitting at MSG thought Maryland wasn’t good enough… when they seized the momentum (making 8 of their last 9 shots), closing the score to just 4 points with 1:06 remaining in the 4th Period.

-Then, Kia Nurse’s decisiveness, slicing inward, between three defenders she drew in, successfully improvising a dish with superb athleticism… to a cool-as-ice Saniya Chong …calling for the ball when the chips were down… Big Time Game, Big Time Shot, Big Time Team.

- Big Time Players fighting their way through the toughest practices, toughest conditioning program, and very best efforts of the likes of Maryland, USF, South Carolina, Notre Dame,… while carrying the biggest target on their back ever seen in WCBB – “Stop Their Four-Peat!” But now some argue WCBB won’t be interesting because of a stat… UConn thus far is winning by at least 10? Well.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)
I'd actually think that the gap between UConn and field is narrowing. There are multiple teams that could beat us if things went right for them and wrong for us this year.

My favorite part of the article is that he felt the need to explain this:

In the past three seasons, Connecticut has achieved an unbelievable record of 107–1 (107 wins and one loss).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'd actually think that the gap between UConn and field is narrowing. There are multiple teams that could beat us if things went right for them and wrong for us this year.

My favorite part of the article is that he felt the need to explain this:

In the past three seasons, Connecticut has achieved an unbelievable record of 107–1 (107 wins and one loss).

It might have something to do with the column being in the "Kids Post" section.

I read the article and saw nothing but positives -

"That’s too bad, because the women’s games are exciting, too. Some fans prefer women’s basketball because the games feature more fundamentals and team play than the high-flying men’s hoops."

"On the women’s side, Connecticut is going for its fourth consecutive NCAA title. The Huskies are above the rest — by a lot."

"I admire All-Americans Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson and their Connecticut teammates. I like the way they play together."

It cracks me up that posters in this thread, most of whom complain constantly about negativity, choose to focus on one adverb (too) in order to slam a writer that writes sports articles for kids.

Somebody said "thin skinned" but I'm thinking non - skinned. Lighten up for .

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
"I just wish other teams would step up and give them a game."

Give them a game, huh? I bet Muffet wishes she had thought of that :rolleyes:

It's such an insult to the women's game, in my view, to assert or imply that other teams just need to "step up". It makes it sound as if UConn only wins because they are the only ones who are really trying.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
South Florida gave us a game. So did Dayton last year. But hanging with the Huskies for 40 minutes requires super conditioning and mental toughness, as well as a lot of skill. Few teams have all of those. . .

. . . and none lately.;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For those who haven't seen the printed version of the Post, I should note that this article appeared in the KidsPost section of the paper, not in the Sports section. If it was a bit simplified, that was due to the audience.

Reaction Score
According to Fred Bowen there is no need to play the tournament. Just hand the NC trophy to the Huskies. How foolish. Notre Dame, Maryland, Baylor and South Carolina are all capable of beating the Huskies. Will it be easy? No. It is possible.

Reaction Score

I agree with the tone of your post. I don't know if "insidious" is the right word but it's a typical blog that all you can do is laugh at the guy from the Washington Post that wrote it. We hear from Geno often - "Why compare women's game to men's?" This guy made it clear with the 1st sentence that UCONN is the problem. He has also made it clear that the women's game isn't as popular as the men's game. We should thank him for such amazing insight. What next NBA vs WNBA? Why is it necessary to associate "problem" and UCONN?

It's almost like a prior thread got into telling everyone that Geno "was human" and that he makes mistakes. Really? Such ground-breaking analysis. UCONN has lost one game in 3 years and some posters are "inventing" scenarios in which "they know" Auriemma blew it. I mean he has lost ONE game in THREE years and some posters feel so good they can recall a situation in which they feel they caught him in a mistake.

It is so comical that recently we have to hear from some guys Gotlieb, Barmore and now this dude - their impulse to take a dig at UCONN. It doesn't matter small or big, they just can't resist. There was no reason for this guy to say knock UCONN. because his last paragraph he praises them for example, doesn't take away from him saying UCONN is the problem along with a need to exaggerate that no one gives UCONN a game. Last year ND in the finals didn't? The guy was astute enough to speak of the South Carolina game not that close. Yet makes the MD game seem like it was a blowout? There was just no reason for much of this. If your intent is o praise UCONN, there is no reason to tell everyone that the men's game is more popular and indicate in any fashion that UCONN "is a problem." I'll say again as Geno has said to paraphrase, the men's game shouldn't be compared to the women's. Comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom