Was this the most surprising UCONN championship run ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Was this the most surprising UCONN championship run ?

Reaction Score
Definitely 2014, although by the time we beat Villanova, I knew nobody had anything for our defense or Bazz, and I wasn’t very nervous about any of the three remaining games.

I was more nervous this run, but I was saying all year that, when playing right, we are a top 5 team in the country. The way we blew everyone up OOC really showed that.

Reaction Score
This was not a surprise. I think a lot of people felt good after the strong start of the season.

The 2014 was a surprise. That came out of nowhere. We lost to Louisville 3 times that year.

I didn't think we could make a run, but the mojo was strong. Bazz, Daniels, Boatright, and the rest plus Sehor surprised everyone including that punk Emmert. "The Hungry Husky's"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are you guys goldfish or something? Are your memories really that short?

Go look at the threads from November and the first half of December and there were dozens of threads about how awesome this team was. We all knew then that this team was one of the best in the country. In hindsight, the midseason "lull" happened because it appears that three of our conference mates (Xavier, Marquette and Creighton) were among the top 10-15 teams in the country, and they were responsible for 5 of UConn's losses. Providence was getting unprecedented home court officiating all season, and Seton Hall was a bubble team that got lucky against UConn at home, which happens. St. Johns was a bad loss, no way around it, but not enough by itself to change any intelligent person's opinion of UConn, especially in a year where there was full-blown insane upsets throughout college basketball all season. St. Johns beating UConn was not even on the radar given some of the chaos around the country this season.

The only way anyone can be surprised by what happened is if they can't read or have massive short-term memory issues, in which case you should be seeing a doctor. The only thing keeping me from talking mountains of trash throughout March was the almost certain banning I would have received for angering the mojo gods, or whatever they are called. And I know I was not alone in feeling that way. I have at least two threads I started that I can bump that show exactly what I was thinking in a more understated way than I would have preferred.

People like to say they were surprised, or that their team "shocked the world", whenever their team wins. This UConn championship may actually be the least shocking of any of them, because at least the 2004 team had to get past a very good Duke team. I respected Kansas and UCLA, and didn't want UConn to play Creighton again. After that, I cared so little about who UConn played that it was not until the Final 8 that I realized that UConn would not be playing the winner of KSU/FAU. I hadn't bothered to look it up because I didn't care. I think there are a couple of posts where I mention KSU/FAU as impacting UConn's Final Four matchup.

It's basketball, so I know that nothing is a sure thing, but I was certainly not shocked by this championship. I am not even surprised. We knew 8 games into this season that UConn was the best team in the country.

Reaction Score
2014 and 2011 were more surprising. 2014 especially.
I thought 2011 was most surprising. I didn't even think we would be a good team heading into the season. I had no clue Kemba would make the jump he did and be the best player in the country and pretty much the rest of the team was all kids I knew nothing about.

I thought this team was going to be really good but they obviously exceeded expectations.

Reaction Score
I thought 2011 was most surprising. I didn't even think we would be a good team heading into the season. I had no clue Kemba would make the jump he did and be the best player in the country and pretty much the rest of the team was all kids I knew nothing about.

I thought this team was going to be really good but they obviously exceeded expectations.

I was thinking more about surprising as of February, not the beginning of the season. If we're talking preseason expectations, I agree with you.

Reaction Score
I would say based on the start of the season, that 2011 and 2014 were both a lot more surprising. Hard to say which was more. We were a hot mess in 2011 - off a bad NIT season, lost everyone but Kemba (who wasn’t the Kemba we know yet), missed on our top recruiting targets. But then Kemba had 43 against Vermont and Maui brought the bar way up.

In 2014, JC was gone, off probation, no front court whatsoever to speak of, and we had Bazz. At no point in that entire season did I think we had title potential. Was worried about a bid mostly and hoping the Florida win would carry weight. Even in the first 10 minutes of the Florida final four game I was hoping we didn’t have an epically embarrassing loss because it felt like we were getting run out of the gym.

I think my answer would be 2011 at the start of the season, and then flip flop to 2014 from Thanksgiving on - with this team third. I thought in the 2014 preseason that we could be a top 25 team with Bazz and Boat, but I thought the 2011 team was going nowhere.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
A surprise only if looking at preseason rankings. Definitely not a surprise once we saw the product on the floor during the OOC slate. This may have been one of the more dominant championship teams UConn has had. 17-0 OOC with a 24+ margin of victory. In the 31 wins this year their average margin of victory was 20+ points.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And didn't some players bail the year we got banned? Yet we came back and won soon after.
Yup. Roscoe and Oriaki are two that transferred out off the top of my head. Not sure if there were more.

Think Andre was considering coming back before it.

Reaction Score
Yup. Roscoe and Oriaki are two that transferred out off the top of my head. Not sure if there were more.

Think Andre was considering coming back before it.
Yes, no post-season definitely impacted Drummond's decision. The crazy thing is Oriakhi lost playing time to Drummond, and decides to transfer and then Drummond goes pro. There was plenty of playing time available for Oriakhi, but I believe he made the post-season his last year. Never was a player as hyped as Drummond who had so little impact. Talk when he came was of a repeat national championship.

Reaction Score
Just after the brackets were announced didn't UConn have the 4th or 5th best odds to win it all? So not that surprising.

Reaction Score
Maybe a better question is, did the January slide help? It certainly helped us fly under the radar. Probably until we crushed Gonzaga. At that point the college basketball world accepted we were likely to win.

Another question. Does SDSU win if we somehow lose to Miami. Or if Texas beats Miami and we lose to Texas..... SDSU may actually win. Match-ups are always critical but they got within 5 with 5 to go. That was as close as anyone got late in the game.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Maybe a better question is, did the January slide help? It certainly helped us fly under the radar. Probably until we crushed Gonzaga. At that point the college basketball world accepted we were likely to win.

Another question. Does SDSU win if we somehow lose to Miami. Or if Texas beats Miami and we lose to Texas..... SDSU may actually win. Match-ups are always critical but they got within 5 with 5 to go. That was as close as anyone got late in the game.

It helped. We learned how to utilize Andre in advance of March. And I’m sure as far as Xs and Os go, there were a lot more adjustments made that helped the team deal with every kind of strategy teams could throw at us. And apparently it triggered more effort and better play from Newton.

IMO, any of the other 3 teams easily could’ve beaten one another.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Just after the brackets were announced didn't UConn have the 4th or 5th best odds to win it all? So not that surprising.
The only thing that made this year surprising is that we survived the randomness of the tournament. We entered the tournament #4 in kenpom and were #1 by the elite 8. We were the betting favorite in every tournament game we played.

Reaction Score
In 1999, we had a veteran terrific team that was ranked #1 for part of the season, and only Duke stood in the way. But it was the 1st one so it was shocking to actually be on top of the mountain.

In 2004, we knew the team was stacked and was not suprising at all to win it .

In 2011, I guess you could say it was surprising to others but once the team won the BET 5 in 5 days, then you could anticipate the run.

In 2014, yes that was surprising - didn't expect to win it all .

This 2023 team - given the previous 2 ncaa endings, Hurley, and mediocre mid-season swoon, it was surprising. The experts said there isn't dominant team, and they were wrong. You can argue that this championship run was even more surprising than our other runs, due to how dominant this team became vs non conference opponents.

The 2011 with Cardiac Kemba

Reaction Score
2011, we finished 9th in the big east. We actually had to compete in the BE tournament play in game. No time during the season would one think that we had a chance of winning the national championship . 2014, we had a core of players that played in the 2011 NC. 2023 not a big surprise. Even during the skid everyone knew That the talent was there. There were no match iOS that this team couldn’t handle.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You make a good point that it depends at what point you’re making the decision. At the start of the season there were a lot of questions marks for 2011, by the end of the big east tournament, it seemed like it was inevitable. To me this season seems like 2011 redux in many ways. Both years we won a big early season tournament, and had a midseason in conference swoon, only to win it all at the end.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say the most surprising. I'd still have to say, 2011. This team showed us dominance in the beginning. Everyone fan and non, had Uconn as a final 4 team. Even the 2011 team's early success didn't have that effect were people were thinking NC.

Reaction Score
2014 for sure. We were absolutely undressed by Louisville twice to end the season and struggled so mightily offensively against their pressure. Never would have guessed that both Bazz and Boat would turn into literal demons offensively and defensively and embarrass all of the guards that they encountered. I mean, Boat's defense literally ruined Wilbekin, Appling, and the douchier Harrison brother.

Reaction Score
2011, we finished 9th in the big east. We actually had to compete in the BE tournament play in game. No time during the season would one think that we had a chance of winning the national championship . 2014, we had a core of players that played in the 2011 NC. 2023 not a big surprise. Even during the skid everyone knew That the talent was there. There were no match iOS that this team couldn’t handle.
Absolutely

Reaction Score
I would say 2014 was a huge surprised... followed by 2011.

2011 came out of nowhere. 9th place in the Big East - Read that again! 9TH!!!!! the bang - 5 days 5 wins and an epic NCAA run

But 2014 is a close second. A year full of upheaval. A new coach, a new league, subpar performance in the regular season/league tournament.... followed by a smack in the face with a 4th NCAA Championship. That was shocking for sure

2023 will go down as a surprise only to the ignorant non Big East basketball fan. Everyone knew this UConn team had potential. If anything, the reason a lot of us were pissed is because we perceived them playing below their potential midway across the season. But they bounced back big time. Even the pundits knew UConn was a championship caliber team

Reaction Score
Not any more. We are the best program in college basketball. Alabama football has 6 championships since 99, we have 5 in basketball. That’s where we are right now.

Reaction Score
Not sure which overall run was most surprising, but I will say that the regional final against Michigan State in 2014 was the most unexpected win I can ever remember the program getting in the tournament. MSU was on an absolute tear, and I guess I foolishly underestimated the home court advantage we had at MSG. But I had almost zero expectation that Baz and Boat could get us up that mountain. (My son was a little kid then, and wow did he see a different side of Dad in that postgame celebration!)

Reaction Score
This championship was not surprising. This season overall was surprising because it seemed the team, with 3 returning players, should not have clicked so quickly. The PK tournament may have been a little surprising at that point. Once it got going though, it was clear we were the best team.

Our January schedule was more difficult than any team’s path in this entire tournament, except maybe Miami. Outside of the St Johns game, and the end of the Hall game, we were just a great team playing other great teams. There could have easily been 3 Big East teams in the Final Four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom