Was that really a 31-1 team? | The Boneyard

Was that really a 31-1 team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Usually a team with that record is a real kick ass team. Scary.

Did any of you think they were a scary, dominant team? I don't think so.

Frankly they look like every Syracuse team in the past that loses in the round of 32 or 16. No better.

In normal years they are a 10-15 ranked team

What players do you look at as being big time stars? None

It is a team of complimentary players in an off Big East and NCAA year.

Does anyone look at them as being a truly dominant team? Really?

I just don't see it.

They will not get anywhere near the Final four unless they get the draw they got in 2003

Reaction Score
Really, South? I think we got beat by a pretty good team that plays a unique style of defense and can throw points up by the bucketload. JC chose to work the clock for the entire game -- when has that ever happened before? They may not be the best team in the country, but they went through the best league with just a single loss, so in my book they are seasoned to succeed.

Reaction Score
Really? I think we got beat by a pretty good team that plays a unique style of defense and can throw points up by the bucketload. JC chose to work the clock for the entire game -- when has that ever happened before? They may not be the best team in the country, but they went through the best leagure with just a single loss, so in my book they are seasoned to succeed.

don't agree

this years big east is full of mediocrity

Reaction Score
They are a very good team but it is shocking they are 31-1. Their zone is long and good and they are great at getting out on the break off of a turnover. The best thing about the team is it's depth, different guys seem to step up whenever called upon but they don't have any great players, Waiters is their best. They look very ordinary at times when you can slow them down and get them in the halfcourt. I wouldn't be shocked if they go to the final 4 but could easily see them losing in the sweet 16. I expect them to do better than their normal flame out in the first or second round.

Reaction Score
don't agree

this years big east is full of mediocrity

K, fill in the following blanks, relative to how you portray the Big East this year

This year's ACC is full of ______________

This year's SEC is full of ______________

This year's Big 12 is full of ______________

This year's Big 10 is full of ______________

This year's Pac 10 is full of ______________

to the OP:

They have two VERY good college players IMO in Joseph and Waiters. Both will play in the NBA, and I think Waiters can be a very good NBA player, he has prototypical size and speed and finishing ability, and if he can continue to shoot better and better, he has a chance of being a very good pro.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
They are what their record says they are, and we are what our record says we are. They just find different ways to win. To me that is the mark of a great team and to me is more impressive than a team that crushes everyone simply due to their superior talent. To be 31-1 without a superstar or dominant talent is very impressive. I assume Cuse's roster is going to be pretty much intact next season so I'm glad they are leaving the Big East. Maybe Joseph will leave.

Reaction Score
They are what their record says they are, and we are what our record says we are. They just find different ways to win. To me that is the mark of a great team and to me is more impressive than a team that crushes everyone simply due to their superior talent. To be 31-1 without a superstar or dominant talent is very impressive. I assume Cuse's roster is going to be pretty much intact next season so I'm glad they are leaving the Big East. Maybe Joseph will leave.

He'll probably have to, being a senior and all...

Waiters is gone, and I think there's a shot Melo might make the jump as well.

Reaction Score

Frankly they look like every Syracuse team in the past that loses in the round of 32 or 16. No better.

I just don't see it.

They will not get anywhere near the Final four unless they get the draw they got in 2003
They looked like a team that just Boned Uconn 3 times!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Whatever conference you're in, 17-1 is crazy good. Syracuse has 10 guys who can beat you in one way or another. People want to invent the whole "But who get the last shot?" problem, but I think they can handle it. You don't win this many games by accident.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
southtampabills infatuation with 'cuse is somewhat... frightening?

We played them 3 times. They beat us 3 times. Yeah, this was the worst theyve played of the 3 games... and they still beat us.

Reaction Score

I just don't see it.

What draw was that? #1 Oklahoma, #1 Texas, #2 Kansas?

Reaction Score
Cuse had everything fall into place this year. They're the most experienced team in the country that's worth a damn and it happened in the same year where UConn, Pitt and Nova all finished in the bottom half of the conference while Louisville, Georgetown and Notre Dame had their worst teams talent-wise in quite a while. I guess that's how you end up at 31-1 in the BE, have the other six-best programs in the conference have a crappy year.

This year was the worst year in the BE that I can remember, it's basically Syracuse and a few average teams and a bunch of bad teams. College basketball has fallen down a slippery slope the last three years. Duke in '10 was the worst champion I've ever seen, us last year was the second-worse champion since the expansion of the tournament in the 1980's. This year's champion will probably be the worst-ever.

I also disagree that the tournament is UK's to lose. They've been playing in the mid-major conference known as the SEC the last three months so I don't really care what they've done. I think it's the worst team Calipari has had since 2006-07 at Memphis but there aren't any great teams for the third straight season in college basketball though it'll probably be the team that finally gets Cal his first title (for a year or two before it's vacated). And Cuse would wipe the floor with Kansas IMO.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we're playing pretty good, they beat us

what makes them a tournament threat is senior leadership

what makes them vulnerable is a zone defense. usually a good team executes and shoots well and sends them home early because of it

Reaction Score
He'll probably have to, being a senior and all...

Waiters is gone, and I think there's a shot Melo might make the jump as well.

They're both likely gone.

Cuse got 4 home game as a low seed. Ludicrous draw.

Ahh yes, who doesn't remember the orange jerseys vs Manhattan & Ok St in Rochester on the 1st weekend.
Oh wait, we were the higher seed in Boston...same thing. ;)
Got exactly one break playing a higher seeded Oklahoma team in Albany, big deal. Playing a lower seeded Vermont team on the road sure doesn't stop anyone from gloating about losing that game.

Cuse had everything fall into place this year. They're the most experienced team in the country that's worth a damn and it happened in the same year where UConn, Pitt and Nova all finished in the bottom half of the conference while Louisville, Georgetown and Notre Dame had their worst teams talent-wise in quite a while. I guess that's how you end up at 31-1 in the BE, have the other six-best programs in the conference have a crappy year.

This year was the worst year in the BE that I can remember, it's basically Syracuse and a few average teams and a bunch of bad teams. College basketball has fallen down a slippery slope the last three years. Duke in '10 was the worst champion I've ever seen, us last year was the second-worse champion since the expansion of the tournament in the 1980's. This year's champion will probably be the worst-ever.

I also disagree that the tournament is UK's to lose. They've been playing in the mid-major conference known as the SEC the last three months so I don't really care what they've done. I think it's the worst team Calipari has had since 2006-07 at Memphis but there aren't any great teams for the third straight season in college basketball though it'll probably be the team that finally gets Cal his first title (for a year or two before it's vacated). And Cuse would wipe the floor with Kansas IMO.

I think most of that is fair. It's a watered down product. Also didn't play G'town or Marquette on the road, which helps. So maybe we're "really a 28-4 team" instead. Does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? You either have a realistic shot to win it all or you don't, and this team does.

Reaction Score
They're both likely gone.

Why are you thinking both are gone? Financial?

I don't think either are lottery picks this year, even though they both a have chance to go in the 1st round. Melo would have a chance to be an AA next year if he stayed. Waiters would be donwright scary as well.

If they stayed, Cuse would be really good again

Reaction Score
Why are you thinking both are gone? Financial?

I don't think either are lottery picks this year, even though they both a have chance to go in the 1st round. Melo would have a chance to be an AA next year if he stayed. Waiters would be donwright scary as well.

If they stayed, Cuse would be really good again

Just a hunch because that's what guys do. People will say they're not ready, which they're not, and it doesn't matter. Pro teams only care about upside for good reason - you can't win the trophy with a bunch of nice, solid players (look at the 76ers).

Should be really good again regardless. A lot of people think Carter-Williams will have a Sherman Douglas type career. If Christmas improves his sophmore year half as much as Melo did he'll be good; he looked good yesterday. Plus there's Coleman & Cooney coming in.

Reaction Score
southtampabills infatuation with 'cuse is somewhat... frightening?

ed mcmahon.jpg

Reaction Score
The season that 'Cuse has put together this year has been pretty impressive. At this point I'd have to agree with the point that was made and say that they are what their record says they are. I don't think they instill the sense of fear that you may expect from a 31-1 team, but I think a large part of that is that we are all very familiar with the team, and we know UConn has played them very tough twice now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom