Warde Manuel does not believe the punishment will be overturned. | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel does not believe the punishment will be overturned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Still fighting, but looks over

I'll tell you what doesn't help, UConn people saying stuff like, "The academic culture has changed". It has? That means UConn deserved what it got.

I was under the impression that the academic culture was fine before. By that, I mean athletes had to do their own work and take meaningful classes. And if they didn't, it would reflect in their grades. I thought UConn's failings here was in not playing the APR game the way others did.

And in the same breath Manual says, " I think it is particularly noteworthy that they accomplished this during an academic year when they won an NCAA championship." So that means the culture changed before the new sheriffs came to town, the one's now taking all the credit.

It's all so much BS I can't stand it.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine how much backlash there would be towards if the NCAA overturned the ban?

They would be ripped for letting UCONN off the hook by some and ripped by others for decimating the program because the ban was the primary reason cited by AO and RS in transferring. Plus, it wouldn't get picked up but there was talk that Drummond was likely coming back and deterred by the ban.

They have to cover their asses. 0% chance of the ban being overturned.

Reaction Score
Give us the strength to accept the things we can't change, and change the things we can. How we as a university respond to this unfortunate situation, will determine how much character we have. I believe in JC, bazz, boat,T.O and the rest. We will get by this and we will be better for it.

Reaction Score
Educate me.

Uconn failed to meet APR standards in 2009 and 2010 and were punished already for it. That's the whole point.

Regardless of your thoughts on the fairness of the APR, Uconn dropped the ball in 09-10 by either a) taking too many kids who were clear academic risks and/or b) not doing everything possible to keep those kids (even those leaving the problem) in good academic standing. This is why nobody cried foul when Uconn was punished with the loss of two scholarships.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This angers me, but what angers me more is the highfiving and backslapping that is going on in the media and amongst the NCAA on how APR is working. This includes the President of a certain private school in Hartford County. No mention anywhere of the zero notice about the changes or the fact that Uconn is in this mess only because of those changes.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
They did. It wasn't.

You can argue the second point either way, but they absolutely did not deserve to be banned from the 2013 tournament. I have a real hard time believing the academic culture at UConn was any different than it was at any other University. The APR is a bogus statistic that accomplishes little and works against the best interests of the student-athlete.

Even if you're going to take the approach that the APR is a crucial statistic that UConn faultered in, it was still a problem that UConn had solved long before the NCAA decided to jump them in a back alley and slap them with a tournament ban that came seemingly from no where.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree that it angers me to see the media claiming that APR is working. Let's see if any other big university gets nailed by this. If they don't then it's just a way tog et at UConn and then go back to not caring about the student athlete. TO me, the part that makes me the most upset is UConn getting banned from the BE Tourny as well. Looks like it'll be a long winter without meaningful college basketball.....sigh

Reaction Score
If Herbst doesn't have the guts to take action and sue them, UConn will not get a dime from me as long as she's the President. This is an unjust punishment and she needs to let the NCAA know that.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The part of this that angers me the most is the hypocrisy of the NCAA's position on insisting that they have the "student-athlete's" best interest in mind. They clearly do not, and this postseason ban is proof.

To have the student athlete's best interest in mind, it is necessary to consider how the punishment will affect the "student-athletes" who are serving the ban. What lesson does it teach them? The ban is not aimed at these student athletes you say? It's for the institution? Well explain to me why the punishment is loss of playing time for the most important part of the season for those student athletes? The school is far less the target here?

That's because it's not about the students. It never has been. It's about the egos of the NCAA, selling an image of themselves that colors them much more virtuous than the ugly reality of money grubbing quasi-indenturate overlords making their bread off the sweat of the young and powerless.

In this case, the "student-athlete" must serve the time but did not do the crime. In this case, the "student-athletes," all of them, exemplify what the NCAA in their sweeping new big dollar sales pitch tries desperately to portray they promote.

So, what are they trying to do here? CYA. Cover Your .

Pedophiles are allowed to operate on college campuses because of it, financial charlatans build massive ponzi schemes because of it, and the NCAA gets to have a blurb on every sports network that lets them look tough to a sports public who are not really paying attention because of it.

This is, and likely will forever remain, an untold story in the national media.

Unless UConn goes undefeated during the regular season (or close to it) next year. Then the drumbeats will begin, and the real story will become public.

Reaction Score
The idea that the academic culture has changed is totally ludicrous.

Ted Taigen was there before.

If anything, it's changed for the worse. But that's what the NCAA wants.

Reaction Score
If this were any other school besides UConn, everyone would bash this whole APR almost as bad as they bash the BCS. Its just garbage that we get penalized for somebody like Gavin Edwards who worked hard for 4 years and came up one semester short of graduating. On the other side you have Kentucky whos had countless one and done players per year since Calipari took over and that is accepted. I guarantee more than half the analysts as well as all the haters dont even realize this is the case. I believe Jay Bilas is the only one who really spoke the truth about the APR saying its a bunch of BS.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow. They are not even pretending to be unbiased anymore.
Walter Harrison, the chairman of the Committee on Academic Performance and the president of the University of Hartford, said his committee will review the process with an eye toward the future.
"I do not expect us to make any changes retrospectively," he said. "If we make changes - and I'm not sure that we will make any - that would be done prospectively, I believe. And I think there's very little chance we're going to change anything. While I realize that we made changes retroactively and that is the sole reason why the University of Connecticut is facing a post season ban, we intend to fix that that inequity only for other member institutions in keeping with President Mark Emmert's standing orders to find new and creative, albeit immensely inequitable, ways to screw over that institution. I mean did you see that we dropped the contact limitations after punishing UConn for them? It's a hoot. I'll tell you we laugh about a lot about that over here. You have to see Mark's Calhoun impression. He's all "I'm Jim Calhoun and I won't be playing in the post season." Ha Ha. Good times, good times."

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wow. They are not even pretending to be unbiased anymore.

Where did you find that?? If that s&^t is legit UConn needs to do something. I jumped off the "let's sue the world" bandwagon but seeing that makes me think UConn can use it in some way. F%^K the whole system and the NCAA. (Sorry it's early in the morning and I'm totally awake and I get set off easily when I'm half-awake)

Reaction Score
If the NCAA was more reasonable about transfers, the APR calculation might actually not be a total atrocity. It's one thing to hold schools accountable for keeping their current players in good academic standing. It's another thing to punish programs simply for having players that want to transfer for reasons that have nothing to do with academics.

Yes, I know that transfers with > 2.6 GPA don't count against APR but that's no slam dunk for a lot of these kids even with the extra help that they get. What percentage of college basketball players (in the BCS leagues especially) would have gotten into their respective schools if they didn't play basketball?

Reaction Score
Where did you find that?? If that s&^t is legit UConn needs to do something. I jumped off the "let's sue the world" bandwagon but seeing that makes me think UConn can use it in some way. F%^K the whole system and the NCAA. (Sorry it's early in the morning and I'm totally awake and I get set off easily when I'm half-awake)
You're not serious, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc