Walker and Westbrook | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Walker and Westbrook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
haven't been following discussion here.... but Westbrook... man wouldn't it be great if she chose Oregon St. that coach has built that program from NOTHING just several years ago.... when i think he went to the campus paper to solicit tryouts for the team.... he has come a long way and without primo recruits.... i hope he gets this gal
Agreed. The final 4 team consisted of pretty much only 2 Top 100 players, I think Weisner was in the 40's and Weise in the 60's. Very impressive. He recently got a commit from a pretty good stretch 4's and he has some seem to recruit a few Top 50 players (mostly shooters), so if Westbrook goes there, she will be surrounded by shooters.

Reaction Score
haven't been following discussion here.... but Westbrook... man wouldn't it be great if she chose Oregon St. that coach has built that program from NOTHING just several years ago.... when i think he went to the campus paper to solicit tryouts for the team.... he has come a long way and without primo recruits.... i hope he gets this gal

It would be great. IMHO he's one of the top 5 coaches in college ball (he's been around a while and has a pretty gaudy record). He's not recruiting as well as Oregon and Kelly Groves, but he does more with his players than anyone not named Geno. I'd love to see him get Westbrook.

Reaction Score
I started watching 20 years ago. UCONN was the team to beat. Who is it now?
:rolleyes:

That's excellence for ya

When YOU started watching WBB ---La Tech, Tn, ODU, ND UConn were top dogs.
Now the only dogs still on top are ND and Uconn---TN never went through the bottom even with Holly they are knocking
on the door---and it isn't because they don't have the talent.. That's Excellence!

Geno's UC Team--that' PERFECTION

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It would be interesting.. but Oregon State was in the Final Four last year so they no longer get to play that "everybody's favorite up-and-comer/loser" sympathy card. They are HERE. They are serious competition for any top 15 program and judging by how they recruit will continue to be so.

So no, it wouldn't be cool if Westbrook went to Oregon State. In fact, I would be alarmed.

;)

I'm only half kidding. :D
Oregon State just picked up Taya Corosdale #27 in HoopGurlz. Westbrook to OSU would be a great look IMO.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Oregon State just picked up Taya Corosdale #27 in HoopGurlz. Westbrook to OSU would be a great look IMO.

Of course you think that :D.. if Westbrook goes to OSU then you don't have to play against her every year, that wouldn't be the case if she goes to Notre Dame and possibly South Carolina.

;)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I love that idea for a number of reasons:

1. I am all for spreading the talent that Geno & staff isn't recruiting around.
2. This would be great for a gradually improving PAC 12... they are looking better and better as a conference ironically as Stanford (which was far and away the best team in the conference for like a decade) is in a decline.
3. I want to see who is the real deal Westbrook vs Ionescu, I'd watch that.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

2. This would be great for a gradually improving PAC 12... they are looking better and better as a conference ironically as Stanford (which was far and away the best team in the conference for like a decade) is in a decline.

Hmmm, Notre Dame must really be in decline then ;)

I would say the PAC has risen as a group and Stanford still seems to be knocking off some big guns.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

LOL.

This answer is exactly why I hope she goes to Notre Dame, SC or Tennessee and becomes a pain in UCONN's arse for a few years. :cool:

Reaction Score
Of course you think that :D.. if Westbrook goes to OSU then you don't have to play against her every year, that wouldn't be the case if she goes to Notre Dame and possibly South Carolina.

;)

You Southerner's are a lot smarter then we give you credit for!!!!!:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
LOL.

This answer is exactly why I hope she goes to Notre Dame, SC or Tennessee and becomes a pain in UCONN's arse for a few years. :cool:
It is amazing how brave and bold WCBB teams & their fans are becoming in the Post Stewie era. So this going some where else and being a "pain" for UCONN how that working out for: A'Ja Wilson & SC, B.Turner & ND , A. Durr "ville, Diamond Deshields & The Entire SEC, Neka & her sister, KLS's older sisters, Xylinda McDaniels, Stephanie Mavunga, Taya Reimer, Sierra Calhoun and the entire Heart and Soul Duke Program, Kalani Brown, .......?

This space reserved for :Lauren Cox and any other recruit not willing to leave Texas.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It is amazing how brave and bold WCBB teams & their fans are becoming in the Post Stewie era. So this going some where else and being a "pain" for UCONN how that working out for: A'Ja Wilson & SC, B.Turner & ND , A. Durr "ville, Diamond Deshields & The Entire SEC, Neka & her sister, KLS's older sisters, Xylinda McDaniels, Stephanie Mavunga, Taya Reimer, Sierra Calhoun and the entire Heart and Soul Duke Program, Kalani Brown, ..?

This space reserved for :Lauren Cox and any other recruit not willing to leave Texas.
I'm kind of thinking that bravery will turn tail after this year. Some perhaps during The Dance.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It is amazing how brave and bold WCBB teams & their fans are becoming in the Post Stewie era.

LOL. Oh come on now... you say this as if SC has been ducking and dodging UCONN for the past few years. Sure, we lost both times and the first game was hardly competitive, but give SC credit for being willing to play UCONN during a period of time when they had arguably their best player ever and their best point guard ever.

South Carolina played UCONN with Stewie, and Tuck, and Jefferson, and Mosqueda-Lewis..

Being bold isn't new in that regard, it was bold when SC agreed to the game a few years ago.

So this going some where else and being a "pain" for UCONN how that working out for: A'Ja Wilson & SC, B.Turner & ND , A. Durr "ville, Diamond Deshields & The Entire SEC, Neka & her sister, KLS's older sisters, Xylinda McDaniels, Stephanie Mavunga, Taya Reimer, Sierra Calhoun and the entire Heart and Soul Duke Program, Kalani Brown, ..?

I would say it's working out well for A'ja Wilson. She's only a 1st-team All-American, Naismith POY finalist, SEC POY and DPOY, SEC Regular Season and Tournament Champion a few times over.... as a sophomore.

Wilson may not have hurt UCONN winning wise (so far of course, she still has two more years.. remember?).. but she's obviously still on the minds of the UCONN fanbase who never refuse the impulse to leave posts like this ("how is it working out for ____ at ____") whenever they want to nonchalantly dig at the fact that a specific player could've had two (or three or four) rings had they gone to UCONN instead.... which is fine when you all do this, but it kind of works against your point here because it makes it seem like you're still agonizing over her (pain in the arse) decision to not go to UCONN (even if you aren't).

As for the others, I'll allow their respective fanbases to come to their defense.

LOL. Again, Oh come on now. You guys seriously expect to get every elite recruit? There isn't a sport on this planet where every elite player ends up on one team. UCONN has had an impressive stranglehold on WCBB for the last 20 or so years, and that may well continue, but you can't blame the rest of us (non-UCONN fans) for being excited at the possibility that I might not...

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
LOL. Oh come on now... you say this as if SC has been ducking and dodging UCONN for the past few years. Sure, we lost both times and the first game was hardly competitive, but give SC credit for being willing to play UCONN during a period of time when they had arguably their best player ever and their best point guard ever.
Being bold isn't new in that regard, it was bold when SC agreed to the game a few years ago.
True story!. Mad props to SC for stepping up to UCONN, but is a single digit MOV too much to ask for? There are plenty of cowards still out there though (Stanford, Duke, Baylor).

would say it's working out well for A'ja Wilson. She's only a 1st-team All-American, Naismith POY finalist, SEC POY and DPOY, SEC Regular Season and Tournament Champion a few times over.... as a sophomore.
I just wish A'Ja was a bigger fan of jewelry. She could have two rings by now and favored to win her third.

LL. Again, Oh come on now. You guys seriously expect to get every elite recruit? There isn't a sport on this planet where every elite player ends up on one team. UCONN has had an impressive stranglehold on WCBB for the last 20 or so years, and that may well continue, but you can't blame the rest of us (non-UCONN fans) for being excited at the possibility that I might not...
Yes. It's not the last 20 years I'm focused on it's the next 20.

Reaction Score

LOL. Again, Oh come on now. You guys seriously expect to get every elite recruit? There isn't a sport on this planet where every elite player ends up on one team. UCONN has had an impressive stranglehold on WCBB for the last 20 or so years, and that may well continue, but you can't blame the rest of us (non-UCONN fans) for being excited at the possibility that I might not...

I enjoy your posts and appreciate your views from the South Carolina perspective..........as you've no doubt heard a thousand times, for the vast majority of folks here, choosing any other college to reach the pinnacle of a player's personal and team goals is absolutely crazy...........if it's about pure basketball you'd have to be living under a rock to not come to that conclusion..........but alas for some "misguided" recruits, their college choice might be determined by other factors..............we know that happens but we feel that those players are missing out on the ultimate basketball experience.................

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Back to the original topic--Walker and Westbrook--how likely is it that both have decided to choose ND, the only school on both lists, and are waiting until Evina's official visits at Maryland and SC are completed? Many thought that Megan would announce last week, but she has not. Is she waiting because she's still undecided? Is she waiting to coordinate with something else, such as a family birthday, UConn's First Night, or someone else's announcement?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It is amazing how brave and bold WCBB teams & their fans are becoming in the Post Stewie era. So this going some where else and being a "pain" for UCONN how that working out for: A'Ja Wilson & SC, B.Turner & ND , A. Durr "ville, Diamond Deshields & The Entire SEC, Neka & her sister, KLS's older sisters, Xylinda McDaniels, Stephanie Mavunga, Taya Reimer, Sierra Calhoun and the entire Heart and Soul Duke Program, Kalani Brown, ..?

I don't know if I've ever heard a recruit say that they chose another school over UConn because they wanted to beat UConn. That's a total message board narrative. For example, Brianna Turner cited ND's academics, the experience of the coaches, friendliness of the players, and the campus itself as reasons she chose Notre Dame. How is it working out for her? As far as one can tell from social media, she appears to be very happy at ND and has received some individual awards for her play (2nd team AP All-America last year).

Also some of those examples are just funny. Durr? It's been a year and she was injured most of that year. Nneka? She has a Stanford degree and an MVP award. I think she's doing ok!

One might very easily turn it around and ask - how did choosing UConn work out for Ekmark? Edwards? Boykin? Better to figure out that UConn is not where you will be happiest during recruitment than to find out the hard way after you arrive on campus.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know if I've ever heard a recruit say that they chose another school over UConn because they wanted to beat UConn.

"We have to, first and foremost, continue to convince players and families that they want to come to Maryland to beat UConn," she said. "I think that is a big piece in our game, convincing women that 'I want to be the team and the next dynasty to be able to beat UConn.'"

Brenda Frese

Auriemma offers no apologies for UConn dominance

Reaction Score
LOL.

The only pain in the arse is UConn practice.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
"We have to, first and foremost, continue to convince players and families that they want to come to Maryland to beat UConn," she said. "I think that is a big piece in our game, convincing women that 'I want to be the team and the next dynasty to be able to beat UConn.'"

Brenda Frese

Auriemma offers no apologies for UConn dominance

Ok, now find me where a recruit says it.

I have no doubt it's part of the sales pitch.

Reaction Score
How the patter changes:

Just a "message board narrative"

to:

"I have no doubt it's part of the sales pitch"

So we have a whole bunch of schools saying: come here and beat UConn.

And one school saying: come here and win championships.

No one questions why top scholars choose academic schools like Duke or Stanford. But when an unusually large percentage of top basketball players choose to go to UConn some of those same people cry unfair, or else accuse UConn of underhanded tactics. Well, Auriemma and Daley have been building their "Brand" for over 30 years and it's gotten to the point where opponents value a win over them nearly as much as a title.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
How the patter changes:

Just a "message board narrative"

to:

"I have no doubt it's part of the sales pitch"

OF COURSE, coaches are going to say "Come here and beat UConn"? What else are they going to say? "We'll roll over and die to UConn but you'll get a great education!"

I just think it is pointless to use the "how is that working out for you?" line on players who chose their school based on other criteria than simply who gives them the best chance to win a national title. The "message board narrative" assumes it is always about going to UConn (to win a national title) or going to another school (to beat UConn). In reality, many things go into a college decision and expected team success is just one of them

Coco mentioned Cox. Cox said that the "biggest factor that put Baylor over the top" was its proximity to home. Well, Waco is going to be 120 miles from Flower Mound regardless of whether she wins a national championship or not.

No one questions why top scholars choose academic schools like Duke or Stanford. But when an unusually large percentage of top basketball players choose to go to UConn some of those same people cry unfair, or else accuse UConn of underhanded tactics. Well, Auriemma and Daley have been building their "Brand" for over 30 years and it's gotten to the point where opponents value a win over them nearly as much as a title.

Who is saying that it is unfair or accusing UConn of underhanded tactics? Someone in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom