Voepel: Discipline key to UConn's success | The Boneyard

Voepel: Discipline key to UConn's success

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...cut-huskies-succeeding-disciplined-style-play

What UConn has been able to do is establish a very disciplined style of play that everyone on the roster buys into. It actually goes beyond style of play, though, to being the way the Huskies do everything. And that process starts with the kind of personalities who join Geno Auriemma's program.
"As we've gotten better, the pool of kids who can play for us has gotten smaller," Dailey said. "And the pool of kids who fits us and wants to come here is even smaller than that."

What? Who doesn't want to come play for the eight-time NCAA champions? Well, here's the thing. Kids are kids. They are about today and tomorrow, and also typically think like this: "Will I start? How many minutes am I going to get?"

Plus, you sometimes hear young players say things like, "I'm a point guard," or "I'm a shooting guard," or "I really like the wing, but I don't like posting up very much" or ...

If you want to play for UConn, your mindset needs to be: "I'm a basketball player, and I do what I'm asked to do."

"You start out with getting players that are really coachable," Auriemma said. "Then you coach the hell out of them."

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Love Bria's quote at the end of the article also- "we don't like to have to listen to Coach when we make mistakes---- so we try to to make them"!!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Love Bria's quote at the end of the article also- "we don't like to have to listen to Coach when we make mistakes---- so we try to to not make them"!!!!

A little edit for accuracy.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I like the line from Bria, I believe, just before the tournament started.

To paraphrase - We don't practice until we get it right, we practice until we can't get it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom