Virginia up 4 on UT at the half.... | The Boneyard

Virginia up 4 on UT at the half....

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I see they won by 9. That's not so much. What is the game plan? I don't want to start some sort of tirade. I am really curious, though NOT trying to start something. There must be one...I watched some old footage last night to try to get a handle on the former UTenn strategies, and noted that back in the day they were famous for their defense. Isn't that interesting?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Winning by only nine implies weird stuff happens on the islands. Winning by only nine because Simmons scored 32 occurred because weird stuff happens on the islands. Unless you're unconn on either front.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I don't follow her, but Meighan Simmons Tweeter Handle is @AnointedOne10. She did score 32 points on 11-20 shooting. She was 8 - 17 on three point shots. Without her, Lady Vols probably lose the game. Also if Virginia makes their Free Throws, they might have won. They were 15-28 on Free Throws.

Mercedes Russell had 4 points in 20 minutes of play.

Box Score: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=400508350

Reaction Score
Some interesting fouls being called in the first half that had 7 lady vols with 2 each by the end of the first. Apparently all VA had to do was throw the ball up and make contact with a Tenn player doing it and get the call. Graves was on the bench after less than 4 minutes and Holly incurred her first career technical. Massengale had to play all 40 minutes but double doubled with 13 assists and 10 points.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Some interesting fouls being called in the first half that had 7 lady vols with 2 each by the end of the first. Apparently all VA had to do was throw the ball up and make contact with a Tenn player doing it and get the call. Graves was on the bench after less than 4 minutes and Holly incurred her first career technical. Massengale had to play all 40 minutes but double doubled with 13 assists and 10 points.
They have had foul issues since the beginning of the year. Those mean refs keep enforcing the new rules on the lady vols.

Make all the excuses you want. ND and Duke will beat Virgina by 20+ points. Uconn would win by 40+.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They have had foul issues since the beginning of the year. Those mean refs keep enforcing the new rules on the lady vols.

Make all the excuses you want. ND and Duke will beat Virgina by 20+ points. Uconn would win by 40+.
But but but... Simmons showed why she is deserving of AA consideration. I mean a monster game from her in 36 minutes. And she was not a volume shooter.

Virginia is 3-3 with losses to James Madison and West Virginia. This is a WVU team, who by the way, lost to OSU by 9. If Tennessee really is the #3/4 team in the nation, it is an incredibly down season for WCBB. I mean WAY down.

As for the fouls, UVA was called for 18 and Tennessee for 20. Hardly a huge disparity. I think part of the problem is that Tennessee in the past taught defense by being physical and tough. They never learned to play defense by moving their feet. I imagine the coaches just can't suddenly teach how to do that and perhaps that is part of the problem. It's like Jim Calhoun trying to teach a zone defense. He never learned the zone properly and his teams never played a very good zone when they tried.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

UVA is probably the 8th best team in the ACC. Maybe 9th.

Reaction Score
Really? How would you look at a Uconn game where one player scored 32 and the rest scored 44. One player had 13 assists and the rest of the team had 10? UTenn will not be a force to recon with till they learn to play a defined offense. They will beat many on talent but the top 8 will be a different story.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So Virginia employed the Notre Dame pop-and-flop strategy. :)

Reaction Score
Last year the Lady Vols averaged 12 fouls a game. This year they are averaging 24 fouls a game. At the half today they had 12. If they do not adept to the new rules, they will not reach their goals.

Reaction Score
UTenn has never has an offensive "scheme". Push, pull, bump, crash the boards, and get the ball in the hands of the "star", Be it CP3, Holdsclaw, Catchings, etc...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Things haven't changed at Tenn. They are still living on what they did years ago. Harry Perretta spent time with Pat and Tenn to help them create a motion offense many years ago. The results of that are no where to be found. Bottom line imo Tenn hasn't changed and the game has. Although Tenn continues to win they struggle against teams who they have more talent then. Eventually that will change too.

Reaction Score
I think it's a riot reading the game thread. The usual high percentage of posts complaining about the officials. In the case of VA, it's a game they can't even see, but that doesn't stop them from blaming the refs for everything.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Is it an island things? Starting to look like a Tennessee thing.

Behind, tied or closer than it should be in the first half, then a rousing halftime speech, then take care of business in the second half.

That sequence seems to fit 4 of the 6 games (although I'm speculating about the halftime speech)

Reaction Score
But but but... Simmons showed why she is deserving of AA consideration. I mean a monster game from her in 36 minutes. And she was not a volume shooter.

Virginia is 3-3 with losses to James Madison and West Virginia. This is a WVU team, who by the way, lost to OSU by 9. If Tennessee really is the #3/4 team in the nation, it is an incredibly down season for WCBB. I mean WAY down.

As for the fouls, UVA was called for 18 and Tennessee for 20. Hardly a huge disparity. I think part of the problem is that Tennessee in the past taught defense by being physical and tough. They never learned to play defense by moving their feet. I imagine the coaches just can't suddenly teach how to do that and perhaps that is part of the problem. It's like Jim Calhoun trying to teach a zone defense. He never learned the zone properly and his teams never played a very good zone when they tried.
You're not serious about Simmons are you Eric? Monster game yes. But on the season she has taken 79 shots to score 86 points. On the Huskies only Pulido has a points to shots ratio that low. And Simmons has more TOs than assists. AA consideration yes. Deserving of it, no.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
As for the fouls, UVA was called for 18 and Tennessee for 20. Hardly a huge disparity.

I think the disparity is relative to expections, which is that LVs should be called for half as many fouls as the other team.
You're not serious about Simmons are you Eric? Monster game yes. But on the season she has taken 79 shots to score 86 points. On the Huskies only Pulido has a points to shots ratio that low. And Simmons has more TOs than assists. AA consideration yes. Deserving of it, no.

I thought there was a touch of sarcasm. Simmons takes, not just the most shots, but more than any two other LVs combined. Sounds like volume shooting to me. One the one hand, it is hard to fault throwing up shots when you can hit more than half of them, on the other hand, only the fifth best shooting percentage on the day, so maybe some others should be taking a few more.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Is it an island things? Starting to look like a Tennessee thing.

Behind, tied or closer than it should be in the first half, then a rousing halftime speech, then take care of business in the second half.

That sequence seems to fit 4 of the 6 games (although I'm speculating about the halftime speech)
Phil, obviously you've missed their new mantra.... GRIND FOR 9 SOLID MINUTES :)

Reaction Score
... Virginia is 3-3 with losses to James Madison and West Virginia. This is a WVU team, who by the way, lost to OSU by 9. If Tennessee really is the #3/4 team in the nation, it is an incredibly down season for WCBB. I mean WAY down ...

Usually a "down season" is declared by Vols fans whenever UConn looks like they're going to win the National Championship. I never thought I'd see the day when a Husky fan would declare a "down season for wcbb."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think the disparity is relative to expections, which is that LVs should be called for half as many fouls as the other team.

I thought there was a touch of sarcasm. Simmons takes, not just the most shots, but more than any two other LVs combined. Sounds like volume shooting to me. One the one hand, it is hard to fault throwing up shots when you can hit more than half of them, on the other hand, only the fifth best shooting percentage on the day, so maybe some others should be taking a few more.

What ever, it seems she got them through a game they might have lost.
Another aspect of the non-offense of UTenn is that senza motion or crisp passing, they often find themselves with a few seconds on the clock and no good shot.

That's where Simmons comes in…never saw a shot she doesn't like, hit a few, ballgame over.

it will catch up to them when (if) they play against equally talented, more disciplined teams like????

I suppose ND, hard to think of any other serious opposition. Stanford? less talented, but more disciplined.

I think we beat them by 30

Reaction Score
... Virginia is 3-3 with losses to James Madison and West Virginia. This is a WVU team, who by the way, lost to OSU by 9. If Tennessee really is the #3/4 team in the nation, it is an incredibly down season for WCBB. I mean WAY down ...

Usually a "down season" is declared by Vols fans whenever UConn looks like they're going to win the national Championship. I never thought I'd see the day when a Husky fan would declare a "down season for WCBB."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom