VERY OT: Duke Cancer research... | The Boneyard

VERY OT: Duke Cancer research...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watched 60 Minutes last night after the Duke win over Gonzaga. The segment on the success in phase 1 trial of curing patients with certain recurring brain cancer (glioblastoma) by injecting the tumor with modified polio virus was stunning. This avenue of research could change the philosophy on how to attack cancer going forward. Scott Pelle stated that if the very positive results continue, Duke Cancer Institute could be granted breakthrough status by the government, which would open this therapy to thousands more patients. Keeping fingers crossed. Who'd have thought that one could bring cancer to its knees by infecting it with polio?

Reaction Score
I saw this too and was very impressed with the success rate and how brave all the cancer patients were. The doctors almost used the word cured, amazing. As a nine year survivor I know how that is usually not a word oncologists use. I hope this is the answer.

Reaction Score
Watched 60 Minutes last night after the Duke win over Gonzaga. The segment on the success in phase 1 trial of curing patients with certain recurring brain cancer (glioblastoma) by injecting the tumor with modified polio virus was stunning. This avenue of research could change the philosophy on how to attack cancer going forward. Scott Pelle stated that if the very positive results continue, Duke Cancer Institute could be granted breakthrough status by the government, which would open this therapy to thousands more patients. Keeping fingers crossed. Who'd have thought that one could bring cancer to its knees by infecting it with polio?

Well, technically cancer is the uncontrolled division of bad cells...and Polio basically kills neurons (a type of cell)..So it makes sense, at least on the surface.

Science rules.

Reaction Score
My fiancé is a resident at Duke and mentioned in passing something about the hospital being on 60 minutes for polio. My first reaction was, o great another bs anti vaccine relapse with a disease that shouldnt be around any more. Luckily that was not the case. Some truly amazing work being done there

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Beware, there is a long road from appearing on 60 Minutes and drug approval but the elephant that is cancer is being eaten one bite at a time. Duke Medical BTW is one of the top cancer research centers in the country.

Reaction Score
Beware, there is a long road from appearing on 60 Minutes and drug approval but the elephant that is cancer is being eaten one bite at a time.

Well said.

As a survivor, I would add Hope is the fork and Fortitude is the knife, which allows us to keep on eating.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That was very impressive. Immunotherapy is going to solve a lot of things in the future.

But having polio injected into your brain and watching the patient interviews... part of me was thinking of "The Man With Two Brains" elevator scene where Steve Martin tells the bimbo he's going to inject her with glass cleaner and the bimbo says, "I don't mind!".

But to bring this on topic, I can picture the Cameron Crazies putting every opponent on the defensive by chanting, "You can't beat us. We cured cancer, biatches!"

In related scientific news, the University of Kentucky announced their scientists have discovered that chopping mint leaves before muddling leads to a 3% "mintier" mint julep.

Reaction Score
there was a vice documentary before this 60 minutes one called killing cancer for those interested

Yeah that Vice special was amazing, literally amazing. Anyone who was somewhat interested here check that out, they covered tests being done with various different dangerous diseases to cure various different types of cancers.

Seems at least for my generations kids, perhaps cancer diagnoses will be even less life threatening, how wonderful

Reaction Score
I learned 30 years ago , the power inherent in our own immune system.

Cancer to this point has found ways to hide from this self corrective mechanism.
These treatments are ways to alert It to go into action.
Once alerted our bodies take care of everything else.
When you get to my age ,unless you were lucky, you most likely have lost many friends and family to this disease ,in our family some as young as thier early 30's.

The demise of this decease can't come soon enough

Reaction Score
there was a vice documentary before this 60 minutes one called killing cancer for those interested

The VICE episode was awesome....wait what? they're killing cancer with measles?, with HIV? huh? just mind blowing stuff.

I didn't catch the 60 minutes show but sounds similar

Reaction Score
One of the most amazing 60 Minutes segments I've ever seen. Let the body cure itself of cancer by coming up with a way for the body to figure out it has cancer. How does that happen - by injecting polio which essentially takes down the hidden walls put up by cancer. If true - no more chemo, no more radiation , no more radical surgeries. Amazing stuff. Still in its infancy but very promising.

This makes up for all the shots of the Bush's, Romo, and Jerry World rooting for Duke yesterday. How the hell does that happen BTW?

Reaction Score
This was one the best segments I have ever seen on 60 minutes. This has a long way to go but wow. Over a hundred years and billions spent on research to recently find, possibly, that Polio has been waiting around for this chance to good instead of harm. Fascinating how they are able to remove a part of the Polio virus so that it is not infectious as Polio to the host. What a great piece - makes me want to dance. Who hasn't been affected by cancer in some way or another.

Reaction Score
Dr. Friedman is a miracle worker. My wife's father was given 3 months to live with his Glioblastoma diagnosis and lived for 5 years. Had my wife not attended the university they probably never would have met Dr. Friedman and extended his life that long. That segment really hit home at my house. I wish he was here to try that treatment. Hopefully they can find the right dosage and keep the progress moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Isnt this how that vampire virus happened in I Am Legend? Im going to start prepping my crap hits the fan kit and my all or nothing box.:p All jokes aside this is absolutley awesome awesome news. This disease needs to be eradicated. Its a vicious awful disease that has no mercy on the young or old or anyone of any race or color. This disease has already taken more than enough of our loved ones and i really hope i live to see the day that disease is knocked on its ass!

Reaction Score
Incredible segment. This would be a gift to mankind and a blow to drug companies who are more interested in treatment rather than cures. Cancer treatment really hasn't changed all that much: cut it out or kill all the cells and normal cells will regenerate faster than abnormal (cancer) cells. If this works It will be the breakthrough of the century.

Reaction Score

But to bring this on topic, I can picture the Cameron Crazies putting every opponent on the defensive by chanting, "You can't beat us. We cured cancer, biatches!"

And if they do, I'll stand up and cheer with them.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The VICE episode was awesome....wait what? they're killing cancer with measles?, with HIV? huh? just mind blowing stuff.

I didn't catch the 60 minutes show but sounds similar

I've got to watch that ... I saw it the other day while browsing HBO. VICE is an amazing.

Reaction Score
The Vice piece was good. I could have done without the clips of the actual procedure seeing brain though. Thankfully, 60 Minutes didn't show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom