Very encouraged about the play from our bigs | The Boneyard

Very encouraged about the play from our bigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we have a 4 year guy at PF who will only get better and better. He's long athletic and has the offensive upside to play out to the 3 pt line all the way to the basket. Brimah will be here 3 years. He's improved from last year and just needs time--he's going to have incredible games and moments--but his body needs 18 months for the NBA. If Phil N can give what he has started giving 2 baskets 4-5 rebounds 23- charges--thats a quality 3rd big. He should have the upside to score more--play better--but if he can get to the 6-4 level--id d be happy.

Until Omar Calhoun is back---until we know what we have in Purvis and Cassell for sure--it will be hard to judge the backcourt until half the season is over. We have two studs in Boatright and Hamilton. IF Purvis can become a Jeremy Lamb and Calhoun comes back to freshmen form and helps us with the 3 ball--and its CONSISTENT--this is a beast of a team.

I do not think in any way that WV was a more talented team--they simply had the gameplan that we were in no way ready for. It really reminded me of a smaller version of 2004 Georgia Tech--but they blasted us. Overall sans injury or suspensions---this team will not be ready for primetime until mid way through. But key is to win as much as possible a long the way and I think we can do that.

Reaction Score
Facey has really worked hard. His development is the most encouraging among the bigs. Brimah is always going to show flashes of brilliance. If he can play like that more consistently AND stay out of foul trouble we will be tough to beat as long as Phil contributes in a meaningful fashion. Who knows what we will get from Lubin besides a few rebounds here and there? Unfortunately, we are not deep up front and any foul trouble will make any game a challenge.

I do love what I am seeing from Facey so far this year though.

Reaction Score
Facey has really worked hard. His development is the most encouraging among the bigs. Brimah is always going to show flashes of brilliance. If he can play like that more consistently AND stay out of foul trouble we will be tough to beat as long as Phil contributes in a meaningful fashion. Who knows what we will get from Lubin besides a few rebounds here and there? Unfortunately, we are not deep up front and any foul trouble will make any game a challenge.

I do love what I am seeing from Facey so far this year though.

Besides Kentucky, who is deep up front? Our front court depth is fine especially cause DHam can slide and play some 4 if needed.

Reaction Score
Really need to make Brimah more of a focus in the halfcourt offense with post ups, it seems like even dating back to last year whenever the team would run a set play to him to open a game or a half something good would come out of it, so why not do it more often? He's looked much better on his jump hooks and facing up than he has receiving dump off passes(the alley oops are cool), seems like it would make much more sense to give him more touches in the post. And yea, I'm very pleased with Facey so far, defense is still a work in progress but I expect improvement with more experience. If he's playing this well to start I can't imagine what he's gonna look like 15 games from now

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree about Facey and Brimah. Both will keep improving. We do need another big or two (two if Enoch can't contribute right away). We have talent here & coming next year. We need to be more in sync on offense & defense. I think it will be good this year. Better next year.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Facey becoming more of a post up option as well. He's has really nice touch around the hole and has shown that he can finish pretty well. Just getting the ball inside at all causes the defense to react as opposed to just going screen roll or dribble drive every possession. Gotta keep the defense at least a little honest. For all of DDs perimeter and stretch plays last year, he became a pretty excellent post up guy with his turnaround J.

Reaction Score
I think we have a 4 year guy at PF who will only get better and better. He's long athletic and has the offensive upside to play out to the 3 pt line all the way to the basket. Brimah will be here 3 years. He's improved from last year and just needs time--he's going to have incredible games and moments--but his body needs 18 months for the NBA. If Phil N can give what he has started giving 2 baskets 4-5 rebounds 23- charges--thats a quality 3rd big. He should have the upside to score more--play better--but if he can get to the 6-4 level--id d be happy.

Until Omar Calhoun is back---until we know what we have in Purvis and Cassell for sure--it will be hard to judge the backcourt until half the season is over. We have two studs in Boatright and Hamilton. IF Purvis can become a Jeremy Lamb and Calhoun comes back to freshmen form and helps us with the 3 ball--and its CONSISTENT--this is a beast of a team.

I do not think in any way that WV was a more talented team--they simply had the gameplan that we were in no way ready for. It really reminded me of a smaller version of 2004 Georgia Tech--but they blasted us. Overall sans injury or suspensions---this team will not be ready for primetime until mid way through. But key is to win as much as possible a long the way and I think we can do that.
I believe that Brimah thinks he is going to the NBA after this season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd love to see Facey becoming more of a post up option as well. He's has really nice touch around the hole and has shown that he can finish pretty well. Just getting the ball inside at all causes the defense to react as opposed to just going screen roll or dribble drive every possession. Gotta keep the defense at least a little honest. For all of DDs perimeter and stretch plays last year, he became a pretty excellent post up guy with his turnaround J.

I really like how Facey keeps the ball above his shoulders and patiently uses his feet to get in to a strong scoring position.

Reaction Score
I finally got to watch the West Virginia game. I was away for the weekend and had recorded it. I knew the score so I that I was not emotional while watching. I saw a lot of good things. Boatright is very talented and a real leader out there. I had some doubts that he could take Shabazz's place but no more. Facey has been a pleasant surprise. He is much better than I expected and he is showing that he can score too. He seems to have a nose for the ball. Brimah is getting better. If he continues to develop, he could be force by the end of the year. I think that Purvis was hurt and we did not get much from him. If he is healthy, we have a strong back court. I expected more from Nolan this year. He seems lost out there at times. I would rather see him defending than flopping. Hamilton is already becoming a star despite the turn-overs. I hope he stays for another year. Sam Cassell and Samuel look like solid role players. I don't know what to think about Lubin except that it would have been nice to have him available to bang bodies around against West Virginia.

Bottom line for me is that if we played West Virginia ten times we would win at least five. If we hit our average in three-point shots and free throws, we would win the game. Also, with an injured Purvis, no Lubin and no Calhoun, we ran out of energy at the end of the game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Besides Kentucky, who is deep up front? Our front court depth is fine especially cause DHam can slide and play some 4 if needed.
the top 6/7 in the rankings

Reaction Score
Turned out I was correct!. Missed unnecessary showboat dunk led to injured ankle, led to being unable to play, led to loss.

Led to a series of increasingly nonsensical posts from someone named "Buddy."

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Brimah plans to declare for the 2015 draft.

Reaction Score
I believe that Brimah thinks he is going to the NBA after this season.
If he could gain 30 # of muscle by the end of the year, maybe he'd have a shot. Baring that he should seriously consider getting his degree. Way too green.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If he could gain 30 # of muscle by the end of the year, maybe he'd have a shot. Baring that he should seriously consider getting his degree. Way too green.
He would need to learn how to rebound, have a post-game other than a right handed jump hook, and he needs to learn how to defend without fouling. Then and only then, will he be ready for the NBA.

Reaction Score
Nolan needs to play more, especially for the defensive end vs the real good teams we will be seeing. But having said that he needs to play better which he did last game. I like the improvement of Facey as he can rebound as most said, but his defense is still behind the rest of his improvement. He will be tested Sunday so let's see. Lubin needs to move his feet but his size could be helpful if even for 5-10 minutes.

Brimah has been who I was afraid of who he would be - the kid who didn't get any summer play and the improvement was only on the things he could work on, not the actual game time decisions on the court. He still doesn't read rebounds, easily gets pushed around and that's not on his physical strength but rather his not being mentally prepared on certain plays. He will need to stay out of foul trouble for us to have a chance vs Texas and Duke and thus far he's still reaching and going too far out to guard people. Kid's going to be really good, but the mental part of the game needs to catch up as well as the physical to be the guy all of you thought was leaving for the NBA soon.

Reaction Score
Nolan needs to play more, especially for the defensive end vs the real good teams we will be seeing. But having said that he needs to play better which he did last game. I like the improvement of Facey as he can rebound as most said, but his defense is still behind the rest of his improvement. He will be tested Sunday so let's see. Lubin needs to move his feet but his size could be helpful if even for 5-10 minutes.

Brimah has been who I was afraid of who he would be - the kid who didn't get any summer play and the improvement was only on the things he could work on, not the actual game time decisions on the court. He still doesn't read rebounds, easily gets pushed around and that's not on his physical strength but rather his not being mentally prepared on certain plays. He will need to stay out of foul trouble for us to have a chance vs Texas and Duke and thus far he's still reaching and going too far out to guard people. Kid's going to be really good, but the mental part of the game needs to catch up as well as the physical to be the guy all of you thought was leaving for the NBA soon.

I agree with some things you say and disagree with others.

- I don't think Nolan needs to play more against the better teams. His rebounding has been even worse then Brimah's and he doesn't bring the defensive or even offensive presence that Brimah brings. So far Nolan is averaging 2.4 rebounds per 40 minutes which may be the worst ever for a UConn PF/C who is receiving significant playing time.

- I also think you are selling Brimah short on his improvement. His offensive game is much improved compared to last year. He's nowhere near NBA ready in my opinion, but he is improving just about every facet of his game. So far this year he's more than doubled his scoring average and is playing 26 minutes per game compared to 16 mpg last year. Even though he is playing 10 extra minutes he's averaging fewer fouls per game than last year (2.8 fpg this year compared to 2.9 last year)

- I do agree that Brimah's rebounding needs to get a lot better. I think some of it has to do with being out of position because he always goes for the blocks, some of it is due to being weak, and another part is mental like you said. I think (hope) his mental preparation will get better as he continues to get more experience, but we do need him to improve his rebounding when we play better competition.

Reaction Score
I agree with some things you say and disagree with others.

- I don't think Nolan needs to play more against the better teams. His rebounding has been even worse then Brimah's and he doesn't bring the defensive or even offensive presence that Brimah brings. So far Nolan is averaging 2.4 rebounds per 40 minutes which may be the worst ever for a UConn PF/C who is receiving significant playing time.

- I also think you are selling Brimah short on his improvement. His offensive game is much improved compared to last year. He's nowhere near NBA ready in my opinion, but he is improving just about every facet of his game. So far this year he's more than doubled his scoring average and is playing 26 minutes per game compared to 16 mpg last year. Even though he is playing 10 extra minutes he's averaging fewer fouls per game than last year (2.8 fpg this year compared to 2.9 last year)

- I do agree that Brimah's rebounding needs to get a lot better. I think some of it has to do with being out of position because he always goes for the blocks, some of it is due to being weak, and another part is mental like you said. I think (hope) his mental preparation will get better as he continues to get more experience, but we do need him to improve his rebounding when we play better competition.

The only thing I will say is good defense can be more important than some rebounds and Nolan is a better man on defender than either AB or Facey. I get the rebounding thing but AB doesn't rebound either and he gets his hands on a ton. I agree Phil needs to get more rebounds and take a few less charges too.......when they throw Ridley and Turner out there Sunday Facey better be ready to defend the post.

AB did get better offensively because he was able to shoot on his own while not being able to play with contact, as well as work on his post moves. Still a ways to go on the post up but his jump shot looks solid. His offensive numbers are doubled but you would expect that with the minutes. He should get that many in cutbacks alone. He's improved as a player but the things that come natural to others need to start happening to him to be anywhere near the impact player we hope him to be. The good news is we all believe it will happen, it's just a matter of when. The other good news is he'll be here a while!

They all need to get better at stuff and it needs to start Sunday - If they can hold their own down there I like our chances!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom