Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Completely indefensible trade.

Reaction Score
Completely indefensible trade.

If they are paying any of his salary and traded them anything but a box of rocks they got hosed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I ain't hot about it, but this team is in a bad spot right now. BTW, wouldn't Wells bring the average age down? Part of the youth movement.

Reaction Score
Supposedly NY would pay about 30% of Wells' remaining contract. There's simply nothing to like about this trade. In fact, it's red meat for Yankee critics - the farm system is bereft of prospects who can actually play in NY; the team repeatedly turns to older, over the hill veterans; Cashman panicked.

We heard the farm system touted for its focus on catchers and pitchers, the hardest spots to fill on rosters. They'd be the new home-grown stars and any excess would help meet other roster needs. So it's pretty depressing to see the team shifting through re-treads like Boesch, Francisco, Wells, Rivera (Juan), Wang, etc. this spring.

Reaction Score
He's a Sox killer.

The move makes no sense. As a dead pull hitter he doen't benefit from the best thing about hitting in the stadium, the short fence in right. He hasn't homered to right since 2010.

Reaction Score
MLB Network is having a field day with this trade. Jim Bowden thinks it's laughable and all but assures that the Yankees win 80 games this year. The Yankees are taking on $13 million of this contract, and this lets LAA get under the cap for 2013, and possibly help the Yankees cap for 2014 (they're taking the whole $13 million off this year). I know that this had been a rumor in December as a fall back for the Yankees if everything else failed. Well obviously Cashman is convinced that this is their best option for now.Wells is projected as hitting in the 5th spot, right behind Youk on opening day. By the way Youk has been quoted as saying he loves this pick-up, and that Wells will add a lot. For what it's worth, in 41 plate appearances in Spring Training, he's hitting .361 with 4 homers and 2 stolen bases. Well, I guess it's an upgrade to Ben Francisco! Oy Vey!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My son was born last summer which means I didn't see a ton of actual baseball games. Mostly ESPN and NESN highlights, here and there. In hindsight, it gave me an excuse to ignore the drama going on in Bobby V land and I couldn't be happier.

It could very well be a painful season for Yankee fans. Worse than 2007. Hopefully you have something to divert your attention.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you are analyzing the deal and using money as a factor, why? It's the Yankees. This guy says the Yanks will be fine.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The Yankees are operating under a "budget" this year. They are trying to keep their DL money under the luxury tax limit. This is going to suck when Wells pulls his hammy in May. On a positive note, Jeter will be back.

Reaction Score
Well we Yankee fans are saved thanks to the Sox- the Yanks just signed Lyle Overbay who the Sox had put on waivers! Yep, the Yankees even helped the Red Sox save a $100,000 by doing so. There's also a rumor that they have signed Dan Otero from the Giants. Dan gave up 7 runs in 7 innings in Spring Training. That should shore up the bullpen!

Reaction Score
The move makes no sense. As a dead pull hitter he doen't benefit from the best thing about hitting in the stadium, the short fence in right. He hasn't homered to right since 2010.
The Yankees HR production will be way down this year. The Sox could be in the same boat unless Ortiz heals.

Reaction Score
Who would you rather have? Vernon Wells or Johnny Gomes. I can't believe the Sox signed Johnny. The only positive thing I have heard about him is that he is a good guy in the clubhouse. He's a thirty-two year old strike out machine who is a defensive liability. He cannot hit right handers and the Sox are talking about using him as the DH until Ortiz comes back. What are they thinking?

Husky25

Reaction Score
You understand that you are justifying your own Sandwhich by comparing it to that of a team that is not expected to contend, right? This ain't the mid-aughts anymore and the Yanks and Sox are both in the same Happy There is a Second Wildcard boat. Hope Red Sox fans are just happy to be rid of the disfunction in the Field Manager's office.

Reaction Score
was not a fan of the trade initially, but 317 with 5 hrs in 70 at bats. Thus far, it is a steal.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's only a steal because it's not your money. Based on predicted future returns it is a terrible value. Only 3 weeks has elapsed, we have 23 to go... Wanna talk about value? Mike Napoli is raking!!!! 1 year at $5 million base, with incentives. All day long, Baby.

Reaction Score
It's only a steal because it's not your money. Based on predicted future returns it is a terrible value. Only 3 weeks has elapsed, we have 23 to go... Wanna talk about value? Mike Napoli is raking!!!! 1 year at $5 million base, with incentives. All day long, Baby.

It's only 3 weeks with Napoli too.....unless they come up with some real good stuff to rub on your knees he will always be a .230 hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom