UVA making the committee proud | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UVA making the committee proud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only exception is an up and coming team. Calhoun could get his guys up for the NIT when they were starting out in '88 and '97. I'll never forget how crazy Gampel was against Nebraska in '97.

Agree that’s what I meant by upstart, thinking exactly about that ‘88 team and heading to The Garden. Meant a ton to that program but to those who are used to getting to the Dance, not so much.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Yeah, but the year they won it all didn't their guard (very late in a tied national semifinal game) stop his dribble before the midcourt line, take three or four steps to cross the line (and avoid a ten second violation) and then start dribbling again with no travel or double dribble call?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
PC sans Carter and another rotation player is simply not a tournament team. Without Carter, they're only better than DePaul for sure, maybe Georgetown

Nobody argued X or Butler were tournament teams. Although Butler deserved to be in the NIT. X was sub 500

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Knives are out for CF Jr. on their board.
He is horrible. To my eyes he sneakily lost that game for them as he needed to be at least a secondary ball handler and sometimes primary, and his decision making is absolutely horrible. He’s really bad, and shouldn’t be this bad.

Reaction Score
I guess Tony Bennett the singer performed better than the team coached by Tony Bennett, the coach.

:(

Reaction Score
This team was 13-7 and finished 3rd in the ACC. The ACC. Let that sink in.

Horrible job by the selection committee. Deserves all the shade
They had a wildly unbalanced schedule in which they got the worst teams twice and UNC and Duke once. I think Pitt once too. They still got beat by 22 by Notre Dame and didn't beat any of the tops teams in the conference except Clemson once.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This team was 13-7 and finished 3rd in the ACC. The ACC. Let that sink in.

Horrible job by the selection committee. Deserves all the shade

Every Big East team played a tougher schedule. They had to play UConn, Marquette and Creighton two or three times EACH. Let that sink in. No benefit from unbalanced schedules.

NCAA Net Rankings, their new metric
St John's 32
VA 54
St John's also ahead of most of the 6 bid MWC

KenPom
St John's 25 (the highest rated team omitted)
VA 69 (the lowest rated at large bid)
4 MWC teams rated significantly below St John's

Let that sink in too

Travesty, and conference affiliation doesn't help them. Although our resident Cinci fans thinks it does too

Reaction Score
Playing devil's advocate: PC, Xavier and Butler all lost last night in the NIT. Not a good look for our league.

Reaction Score
This dude Spiro is really sending it in. Quite enjoyable.
Spero is really unheralded but enjoyable to listen to.

We should recognize him from he and Debbie Antonelli having called our first weekend games last year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Not difficult to imagine McClelland demonstrating this degree of enthusiasm in his role of creating the best brackets and choosing the deserving teams for the tournament. Eyes are 2/3 shut.

Reaction Score
Virginia got smoked by 22 vs Notre Dame, lost 75-41 to Vtech and needed OT to escape BC, not like they were that good. Lost 65-41 to Wisconsin.

A team that hung 90 on UConn likely would have had a better showing....
Bluntly, this is where the eye test has to have some role.

Virginia hasn't looked like a Tournament team for months.

St. John's went toe to toe with #1 and looked like they belong. (Of course, the Committee didn't watch conference tournament games so that didn't matter, but still.)

Reaction Score

There's way too much money at stake for the ADs and conference commissioners to be willing to take their hands off the wheel, but they really should outsource the selection job to passionate fans and commentators.

I have to imagine the Field of 68 guys (minus Goodman, guy) would do a better job, would thoroughly research their task, would relish the responsibility, and would put in the effort, much more so than these suits.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll never forget how crazy Gampel was against Nebraska in '97.
OTOH, 2015. Not so much. Only time I had my own seats in the lower bowl at Gampel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom