UT Player Development | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UT Player Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes Dobbs jots Baylor here.... at least one thing they have is a good home recruiting ground...... a place for TX gals to go....at least until Texas returns to th Conradt era..... I the same sense, UCLA has a regional advantage for the same situation in California..... Stanford will always have an advantage for those who want to combine smarts and athletics.... not saying these advantages are inherently huge but they are existent to some degree....

You know, I was thinking of this thread .... and its title..... UT Player Dvlpment...... and the key for success for their extended success it has been noted by many..... that being guard play.... and then..... taking it the next step.... how andto what degree can someone be developed when the starting guard spot is guaranteed to you when you are a high school senior (as with Massengale).... and this fact is publicized proudly in post game pressers at UT ("Well, our guard play will be better when Ariel comes in next year and shows these guards how it is done)..... and how and to what extent can someone be developed when bad play is rewarded in the case of Simmons..... for much of her career.... and I have seen many of her games.... it has been dribble up the floor and shoot ..... with no pass...... again how she is all American is mystifying..... I have no axe to grind here..... just t accentuate the 2 points that 1. I have never seen her win a game for the LVs.... and 2. most good coaches would have had her on the bench until she learned to play a team game, and not an individualized run and gun offense ...

Reaction Score
I know several on this board like to go after the player development at Tennessee, but Izzy Harrison's massive improvement is undeniable. I'm not sure how the numbers directly compare but I'd take her over Elizabeth Williams any day. I thought it was kind of odd when ESPN had her listed in the top 5 centers in the country preseason, but they knew what they were doing. 14 pts, 9 boards in just 20 minutes a game. 57% from field, 76% from FT line. 6 straight double doubles. 26-15, 26-10, 18-10 in the last three games.
I was thinking the same thing when I looked at the box score of the GA game. Top 5 centers sounds plausible. If not, then not far behind.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Chris Rock, "You're supposed to develop your players! Whaddya want? A cookie?"

My guess is that Chris said it a little more colorfully.

Reaction Score
The OP says "you people on the boneyard ". Well, are we allowed on your site?
BTW, I think Tennessee and louisville are the only teams that could beat UCONN this season.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
BTW, I think Tennessee and louisville are the only teams that could beat UCONN this season.
I'd be curious to know what has changed since the 30+ point game Louisville lost last year.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

If Tennessee doesn't figure out a way to defend the perimeter and cut down on turnovers, both UConn and Louisville would take us by 20+ points...

Reaction Score
The turnovers are a huge issue. I'll take me from Russell and Harrison, but I'd like them to be lower. However, they come mostly from Burdick, Jones, and Simmons. When Cierra is on she's great, but when she's off, she tries to break from her skillset. Jones still can't make mature decisions with the ball too often, and Simmons TO issue is well documented. Let it be known, her minutes are 6 down this year. I'd really like to see Burdick come back into the form she hit at spurts last season. She has rebounded the ball well most of this season. But she is best offensively not forcing her shot and hitting the midrange jumper to open up the drive for a couple easy buckets. She seems to be forcing too much this year and I don't know why. She's the type of player that will watch tape and get in the gym to fix her game and I have the greatest respect for the leadership and heart she brings to the team.

Reaction Score
Also the assists at Georgia were a season low. They were playing us for the one on one and it was too easy to burn them that way however, we've averaged an SEC leading 19 assists a game.​

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Also the assists at Georgia were a season low. They were playing us for the one on one and it was too easy to burn them that way however, we've averaged an SEC leading 19 assists a game.​
Yeah, but let's be honest where a lot of those assists came from, like the 31 against poor Lipscomb recently. In the last three big games against Stanford, LSU, and Georgia, it's been 10, 16, 9. That's under 12 for the three more realistic and recent games. If that was their average for the year, that would place them around 267th among the NCAA teams. Still thinking that the ball handling and the assists could be a big issue for UTenn, and when UConn players blow by defenders one-on-one, that's a prime opportunity for a MoJeff assist.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious to know what has changed since the 30+ point game Louisville lost last year.
We were clicking on all cylinders last March/April. If we hit a funk and struggle against Walz' triangle+2 or whatever junk he'll throw at us, you never know. Do I think we'll lose to either? No. But anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom