USA U-17, U-18 Trials | The Boneyard

USA U-17, U-18 Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There's a lot of stuff going on with UConn recruits and targets on Day 1.

First, some tweets:

Kevin Lynch ‏@klhoops 3h
1st 3 x 3 session in the books 2016's Tori McCoy @torimccoy23 and Lauren Cox showed why they are at the top of the class @BlueStarMedia1

Kevin Lynch ‏@klhoops 2h
Blue Star #1 Katie Lou Samuelson just put on shooting show in defeating a team led by #2 Asia Durr, comp is heating up#bluestarmedia1

Articles from Rich Elliot on Lauren Cox and Erin Boley:

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2014/05/23/cox-not-content-sitting-idle-at-the-top/

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2014/05/23/boley-looking-to-earn-a-spot-on-u-17-team/

Jim Fuller has some videos of Durr and Ogunbowale too.

Reaction Score
Interesting. ASGR, BS and ESPN now has KLS as #1, at least based on that tweet (from BS) and a recent tweet from ASGR.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting. ASGR, BS and ESPN now has KLS as #1, at least based on that tweet (from BS) and a recent tweet from ASGR.
On their site, Bluestar still has Durr. ESPN has had Samuelson for a bit. Last ASGR I saw was Durr. Prospect Nation has Durr, last Full Court I saw was Durr.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Last ASGR I saw was Durr.

Altavilla's piece on KLS the other day that quoted McCormick had ASGR ranking them co-number ones. But really, little difference between 1 and 2. Both incredibly highly thought of.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fuller talks to Arike Ogunbowale:

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/05/ogunbowale-to-narrow-list-sooner-rather.html

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 1h
During 5 on 5 work at U-17 trials but was impressed with how well #UConn commits De'Janae Boykin and Katie Lou Samuelson meshed

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 1h
Boykin drained a 3-pointer and looked comfortable on the perimter while Samuelson mixed things up inside #uconn

Bret McCormick ‏@ASGR1995 7h
At USA Trials Tori McCoy 6-3 PF 2016 HS of St Thomas IL & Arike Ogunbowale 5-9 G 2015 Divine Savior Holy Angels MN are taking no prisoners.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
OK, OK, as a blogger myself and respectful of the deadlines that writers face I really have no complaints about this, but did anyone else have a chuckle when they read: "Ogunbowale decided her future was as a basketball so she ...." Outside of that delusion she seems to have a lot going for her.

I really liked the tweet about Boykin draining a three and Samuelson mixing things up inside. Typical UConn versatility.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller's impressions from early Saturday session:

UConn commit Katie Lou Samuelson looked very much like the highly-touted prospect she is, raining down 3-pointers, grabbing rebounds and handing out some nice assists.

As for UConn commit Napheesa Collier, she is a high energy player who played mostly on the perimeter. She looked good hitting a couple of perimeter jumpers and aggressively chases down every loose ball.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/05/impressions-from-u-17-second-group.html

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
First round of cuts for U-17 squad brings the number down to about 96. All UConn recruits and targets remain. However, Desiree Elmore of Connecticut missed out.

UConn related standouts thus far via BlueStar:

Tori McCoy (2016 – 6-4 Forward – Champaign, Illinois) – McCoy actually made the U16 team last year but was forced to withdrawal due to lingering concussion symptoms. The multi-talented forward spent the day reminding the committee as well as other hopefuls just why she had previously secured a roster spot. Explosive physical play combined with an impressive, active effort allow her to stand out among the crowd of bigs on hand.

Megan Walker (2017 – 6-1 Wing – Chesterfield, Virginia) – No one player may have exhibited a greater capacity for learning over the past couple of years than this top tier talent from Virginia. Firmly established among the elite in her class, Walker takes her game to another level each time out. She’s a coach’s dream in her ability to absorb teaching and even more so with her uncanny ability to learn within an individual game and execute changes. What makes all that so special is the fact that both her physical and basketball skills are also among the best in any gym she walks into.

Katie Lou Samuelson (2015 – 6-3 Swing – Huntington Beach, California) – It’s hard to take in any event Samuelson participates in and not make note of her play. Like Walker, each time out there’s seems to be an addition to her repertoire or a refined skill or move that helps her produce results. One of the most lethal inside-out threat in the game, the recent UConn commit is one of the most challenging match ups for defenders on the perimeter or in the paint.

These are just a few of the many, many players who had moments their inclusion isn’t meant to indicate any odds of making the final roster. Returning standouts like Asia Durr, DeJanae Boykin and Arike Ogunbowale had their moments as well. Te’a Cooper is back and making noise as are other hopefuls like Kennedy Burke, Ashley Hearn, Erin Boley and Anna Wilson.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/845-tidbits-from-the-trials-day-two

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK, OK, as a blogger myself and respectful of the deadlines that writers face I really have no complaints about this, but did anyone else have a chuckle when they read: "Ogunbowale decided her future was as a basketball so she ...." Outside of that delusion she seems to have a lot going for her.
Be the ball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, road trip next season. :) I'll check in on De'Janae a few times, but Richmond calls. I haven't been there for a while.

HoopGurlz on Walker from last year:

Nike Nationals-July 2013 College-ready frame with long-distance consistency; perimeter performer handles and creates in transition; developing mid range game extends to the arc with pure stroke. (Olson)

Oh my!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Katie Lou having her ankle iced after a fall.

Ok, road trip next season. :) I'll check in on De'Janae a few times, but Richmond calls. I haven't been there for a while.

Milford, there are links to two AAU games Walker plays in in my post about the Boo Williams tourney. She's scary good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Katie Lou having her ankle iced after a fall.

Milford, there are links to two AAU games Walker plays in in my post about the Boo Williams tourney. She's scary good.
Thanks! I haven't had time to look at those games yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom