US News and World Report has UConn at # 58, | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US News and World Report has UConn at # 58,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think you picked the wrong place to complain about overemphasizing six-year graduation rates of freshman classes that entered in 2004-2007.

Just saying.

It appears you are making an APR reference, but I don't see how I was complaining about anything.

Reaction Score
It appears you are making an APR reference, but I don't see how I was complaining about anything.

Sorry - I read through your post too quickly and thought you were making a defense of Syracuse in the rankings. It's late, my fault. I simply didn't read what you wrote (but yes, I was referring to APR).

You touched on one important point that is seemingly overlooked: last year, 27% of our students claimed to be of diverse backgrounds (or about 2 in 7). This year, that percent is up to 33% (or 1 in 3). Consider that in 1986, the same percent -- of a much smaller university, by the way -- was just 7% (or about 1 in 14). We are making very large strides in this regard.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What were we last year? I tried Google but found nothing but the recent rank. Also i didn't Google that hard.

If you must Google, you gotta Google hard. No excuses.

Reaction Score
Sorry - I read through your post too quickly and thought you were making a defense of Syracuse in the rankings. It's late, my fault. I simply didn't read what you wrote (but yes, I was referring to APR).

You touched on one important point that is seemingly overlooked: last year, 27% of our students claimed to be of diverse backgrounds (or about 2 in 7). This year, that percent is up to 33% (or 1 in 3). Consider that in 1986, the same percent -- of a much smaller university, by the way -- was just 7% (or about 1 in 14). We are making very large strides in this regard.

Yes. There is a very big emphasis on admitting students who are the first in their family to go to college. Many of these students are labeled minority in the u.s. the issue is that these students for many different reasons drop out of school at a higher rate, take longer to graduate, and have low sat scores than non first generation students It is commendable what uconn is doing, but it clearly hurts certain numbers such as freshman retention rate, 4 year graduation rates, and average sat score of freshman. First generation college students also typically do not have strong family connections to white collar jobs, so first generation college students will struggle more to find a job out of school. Schools who do not have this mission will have better numbers in these key categories. There are good arguments from both sides about whether or not it is fair to admit students based upon things like race or country of origin or the education of parents, but whether anyone likes it or not uconn has chose to put a huge emphasis on it recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom