Upcoming, an unusual announcement from Diamond DeShields. | The Boneyard

Upcoming, an unusual announcement from Diamond DeShields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She will announce where she has registered for summer school. The inference that that is where she will play is up to you. It is my custom to give my source when I have breaking news, usually a newspaper or a TV or radio station. In this case, it is simply a source close to the NC program. Take it for what it's worth.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
She will announce where she has registered for summer school. The inference that that is where she will play is up to you. It is my custom to give my source when I have breaking news, usually a newspaper or a TV or radio station. In this case, it is simply a source close to the NC program. Take it for what it's worth.

The NC program?

National Championship (UConn) or that school in Chapel Hill (North Carolina)?

Reaction Score
Why can't she just announce that she is going to TN and be done with it :confused:

Reaction Score
Why can't she just announce that she is going to TN and be done with it :confused:
I like the sound of that!

Seriously though, if she were to commit to TN, the Lady Vols could have one of the most athletic teams ever assembled. Would be amazing to see as a fan.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think it is a done deal for TN and she may be taking summer school somewhere other than the school she eventually transfers to. I suppose technically she could enroll at any school for a year non-scholarship and then transfer anywhere the following year though why anyone would want to do that and not start training with your future team would be a little strange.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is funny that she is announcing where she will be taking summer classes. But maybe she wants to get ahead of the rumor mill.

Reaction Score
. I suppose technically she could enroll at any school for a year non-scholarship and then transfer anywhere the following year.

Not unless she wants to sit out 2 years.
You have to sit out a year AFTER you transfer. Unless she went JUCO for a year.

Reaction Score
Chuckle...she's got communications major written all over her...can the weekend update be far off...?

Reaction Score
Who cares? I thought I'd seen the last of these, ugh.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not unless she wants to sit out 2 years.
You have to sit out a year AFTER you transfer. Unless she went JUCO for a year.
Pretty sure the rule is you have to sit out the year after you leave a D1 scholarship, not that you must sit out a year on your next scholarship - so as long as she transferred to another a school on her own dime that year would count as her sit-out year and then she could transfer into a scholarship program anywhere. And I am not sure she would actually have to attend school her 'sit-out' year. EDD effectively did that when she walked on as a VB player at Delaware - she was not on a scholarship that year, but it counted as her sit-out year.

Reaction Score

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, if she registers at North Carolina, there are a bunch of courses she could take that…

That is cold, Michael, cold!!! :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No.

"The general rule for all student-athletes transferring from one four-year institution to another four-year institution is that they must spend one academic year in residence at the school to which they transfer before they may be eligible for competition."

Q2 here:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nm/genrel/auto_pdf/0708-saac-info.pdf
Still believe having completed a year of academic residence at another institution off scholarship, then a second transfer would not preclude immediate eligibility, since you have completed the 'sit-out provision' - it would be the same as spending a year at a 2 year college and completing 24 semester hours.

Reaction Score
Still believe having completed a year of academic residence at another institution off scholarship, then a second transfer would not preclude immediate eligibility, since you have completed the 'sit-out provision' - it would be the same as spending a year at a 2 year college and completing 24 semester hours.

If you want to ignore clear language, so be it.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She could take summer school courses anywhere and then enroll in her final* destination in time for the fall semester.

*Assuming that she doesn't turn pro, play overseas or transfer again.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure the rule is you have to sit out the year after you leave a D1 scholarship, not that you must sit out a year on your next scholarship - so as long as she transferred to another a school on her own dime that year would count as her sit-out year and then she could transfer into a scholarship program anywhere. And I am not sure she would actually have to attend school her 'sit-out' year. EDD effectively did that when she walked on as a VB player at Delaware - she was not on a scholarship that year, but it counted as her sit-out year.

No. Normally you have to be enrolled at your new school for a year before you are eligible. The NCAA rules are very clear about that - and there have been actual cases where it also worked like that in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom