Unselfish UConn Women | The Boneyard

Unselfish UConn Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unselfishness gives UConn best shot to win championships

STORRS, Conn. -- If Breanna Stewart's goal with the University of Connecticut women's basketball team was to be the nation's leading scorer, she wouldn't be here. As long as the goal was to win the national championship, there's no place Stewart would rather be.

When Stewart was told recently that Minnesota guard Rachel Banham had taken 260 more field-goal attempts than she had this season, the soon-to-be three-time national Player of the Year shook her head and smiled.

"That," Stewart said, "is a lot of shots."

But while Stewart and the Huskies are playing for history, Banham and the Golden Gophers are playing in the WNIT. For the North Syracuse, New York, native, trading the opportunity to shoot the ball from here, there and everywhere for the chance to compete for the game's biggest prize was a no brainer.

"To choose between going somewhere and doing whatever you want and getting whatever shot you want, or to go somewhere where you're playing alongside four or five of the other best players in the country and winning championships, that's easy," Stewart said. "My goal is to win championships. My goal is to win another national championship and some people aren't going to have a chance to do that."

Of course, Stewart has 11 teammates that have also bought into UConn's system. From Stewart's classmates Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck down to freshmen Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier, they all heard during the recruiting process that they "could be the focal point of the offense" and that "the offense would revolve around them" and more.

Yet, they chose a place that's bigger than any individual.

The Glenn Heights, Texas, native said that during her high school days, she could do whatever she wanted with the ball. She knew that it wouldn't be that way here.

"When you think about it, it must be nice to have the green light like that like some of those players around the country have," Jefferson said with a smile. "For me, it's about assists. It's not about getting that many shots up. I'll take 10 in some games and for me that feels like a lot. I want to get the ball moving and when the shots are available for me I'll take them.

"This is bigger than getting a lot of shots. I came here to become an actual point guard. Sometimes it's not about getting 25-30 shots per game. It's about building all the things we have here and doing all the things that we've done here. I've won three national championships here and I wouldn't have done that at any other school. The thing here, too, is when we have team success, the individual stuff seems to follow."

"All of us know we're not going to come here and be 'the one' that's taking all of the shots or have all the plays run for you," Tuck said. "You have to care more about the success of your team than your individual success. I would never trade what we've done here to be on a team where I average 30 and they haven't won anything. Never would I do it. Sure I could have gone somewhere else and score 30, and then we lose. Rachel Banham is scoring a lot and she's a great player. She's not winning national championships. Not everyone gets the opportunities that we have here. As a player, you have to look at what's important to you. For us, winning and being the best team in the country and be 'UConn basketball' is what we care about the most.

MORE...

Reaction Score
As basketball is a team sport, it's not surprising that team outcomes are what count. It's also the case that some teams have few scoring options, but Geno has clearly opted for the BEST SHOT v. the BEST SHOOTER. Something I seldom ever read is the one of Stewart's greatest talents is moving w/out the ball and positioning herself to get the best shot. Watch her when the ball isn't in her hands: she never stops. It's because of the search for the best shot that UConn so highly values great passers, the players whose talents include making the perfect pass to the shooter in the best position to score. A player with a "hot hand" might be sought out, but if she's not in a good position to shoot she won't see the ball. "Trust" is a word spoken frequently by Coach: trust your teammates. A question was raised on an SNY telecast of whether or not Steward has the "pieces" necessary to win another NC. Not every team does. But the Husky ideology of sharing and trusting drives the way the game is played at UConn, and that culture of how to play the game is what makes many of us devoted fans. Vive l'chien.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
HuskyD - nice, and one sign of what Uconn basketball is all about is the insanely low record for most assists in a year at Uconn, especially considering that the players at Uconn have won almost half of the 16 Lieberman awards in the history of the game (soon to be 8 of 17 I suspect.) The Uconn record is 231 in a year (and only three players have ever reached 200), the career record is 648 for a team that is always near the top of the total assists and assist per game rankings if not the top team. As a comparison, the NCAA single season record is 367 (and the top 11 are all greater than 314) and the career record 1307 with 24 having at least 800.

I will say great athletes even in team sports have to have a certain selfishness - the trick is balancing that selfishness with team goals and it is the Uconn staff's great skill at helping their star players consistently find that balance that is magical.

Reaction Score
What a great trio! How could a parent not want their daughter to be like Stewie, Morgan and Mo. Jen, Rebecca, Shay, Kara, Swim. D and Sue I could go on and on but what else can I say but Go UConn and thank you for the way you play the game.

Reaction Score
Lots of Rachel Banham comments - the team must have had a discussion about her scoring all those points but Minn not making the tourney. Liked the stat about the nation's leading scorer (Jasmine Nwajel) AVERAGING 27 shots per game, while Stewie's RECORD HIGH # shots was 25.

Loved Moriah's comment: "I came here to become an actual point guard."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
well, Mo leads the team with 167 assists for the season, while Stewie has 125. Morgan and KLS could quite possibly get 100 as well, especially if UConn plays the maximum possible six games.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thanks for link, Java!! One of Carl's great articles. That's what these kids are all about, the unvarnished truth of it. Boy, will we miss them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Was just going to post this. Figured someone probably already had. One of the more interesting pieces written this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom