Underrated Female Pop Singers | The Boneyard

Underrated Female Pop Singers

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I really liked the lead singer of the sixties group Bev Bivens. Saw them in concert at Jorgensen. Although they only had one hit, they had two albums with several standard songs. Although their voices blend in harmony, her voice really stands out.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Please feel free to add your favorites! ( Left that off original post)

Another group singer steps out on her own, Kirstin Maldonado from Pentatonix.

Reaction Score
Here's someone special. One listen to this sold me, and she has many more that she has written and well worth a listen. Gaby is my new favorite. Wait for her chilling "long note."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Janis Ian had a couple of brief periods of popular success, the first in her mid-teens and the second about a decade later. I've always loved her. This one is from her "comeback" album, Stars, recorded when she was 21-22 years old. It's dark, just like most of her stuff.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Anna Nalick and one of her hard to find songs..Soldier

I was thinking of her. She had one hit w/ "Breathe," but her career didn't really take off from there. I really like her voice.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So many directions you can go with this thread. In EDM the producer/DJ can be a huge star (at least internationally, sometimes not as much in the US). Sometimes they collab with well known singers, but often they find absolute no names to sing on the tracks. No names with really nice voices, who might get a bit of a bump from appearing on the track, but often still remain fairly obscure. I really like Runn's (real name Avena Savage) voice, there's something a bit different about it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Natassja Shiner from Fickle Friends.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be surprising if one hasn't heard of Sissel Kyrkjebo from Norway, but she has to have one of the most vibrant voices anywhere. This is a great rendition of Shenandoah.

This is Sissel singing the haunting sounds "Hymn to the Sea" for the movie Titanic

Hymn to the Sea" — A sorrowful, melancholic theme which expresses the tragic side of the Titanic. It's also featured prominently in "Never An Absolution". This theme contains uilleann pipes and vocals by Sissel Kyrkjebø. An alternate version is first heard in the film's opening sequence. Furthermore, the track contains a menacing, descending, three-note motif which signifies the wreck of the ship and is first featured when Titanic's wreck site comes in view at the beginning of the film.

Horner knew Sissel from the album Innerst i sjelen and he particularly liked how she sang the song Eg Veit I Himmerik Ei Borg ("I Know in Heaven There Is a Castle"). Horner had tried 25 or 30 singers and, in the end, he chose Sissel to sing the wordless tune

I've heard/seen Sissel live at the Bushnell when CPTV PBS was doing specials

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom