Uncharted Territory Tonight For UConn | The Boneyard

Uncharted Territory Tonight For UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to Jim Fuller, UConn has NEVER opened its season against a ranked team on their home court. This might get interesting.

"Four times in a six-year span the Huskies kicked off the season against ranked foes losing 83-81 in overtime to Louisiana Tech (in Knoxville) in 1995, beating No. 8 Western Kentucky 74-56 in 1996, beating No. 4 Duke 104-74 in 1998 and defeating No. 3 Georgia 99-70 in 2000. The Western Kentucky and Duke contests were played in California while the game against Georgia was in Hartford. I went looking through the UConn media guide to find the last time the Huskies opened the season with a true road game against a ranked opponent and it doesn't look like it has ever happened - until today when the Huskies play at No. 6 Ohio State." [source]

Of course, no one has a pair of three-peats or four consecutive titles either, so this whole year might get interesting,

BRING IT ON!

Reaction Score
Can the mighty Buckeyes be beaten by a lowly mid-major program from the AAC? Ask South Carolina.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Where is the deep bench that everyone talked about all summer? Geno will have trouble dolling out playing time? Not so much. Geno effectively has only eight players available, two of whom are freshmen, and one with limited playing time last year. Should be very interesting.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Uconn by 12. If OSU had Sierra Calhoun in the line-up, OSU wins by 6.

I think Duke had Sierra Calhoun when they played the huskies last year - how did that work out?

Reaction Score
One of the most enjoyable elements of being a UConn WBB fan is to watch the evolution of Geno's teams over the course of a given season. Like many teams, they frequently come out of the gate pretty ragged. Unlike most, as the season progresses, they inevitably become cohesive, well-oiled machines. As fans, we have become so spoiled that we enter each campaign with outrageously ambitious expectations, anticipating forty straight wins including the one in the NC game. I get that, but, in the process, we tend to look at key early-season match-ups, like this one, as life-and-death affairs. In fact, while I fully expect a win tonight, it is far from inconceivable that, should the team happen not to bring its A game, it could wind up being upset in a nail-biter. No biggie...I promise. The early Stanford loss last year, as we all know, turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to the team....the motivation factor went through the roof! A win or a loss for either program this early doesn't really mean all that much.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
One of the most enjoyable elements of being a UConn WBB fan is to watch the evolution of Geno's teams over the course of a given season. Like many teams, they frequently come out of the gate pretty ragged. Unlike most, as the season progresses, they inevitably become cohesive, well-oiled machines. As fans, we have become so spoiled that we enter each campaign with outrageously ambitious expectations, anticipating forty straight wins including the one in the NC game. I get that, but, in the process, we tend to look at key early-season match-ups, like this one, as life-and-death affairs. In fact, while I fully expect a win tonight, it is far from inconceivable that, should the team happen not to bring its A game, it could wind up being upset in a nail-biter. No biggie...I promise. The early Stanford loss last year, as we all know, turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to the team....the motivation factor went through the roof! A win or a loss for either program this early doesn't really mean all that much.
That is very accurate. No matter who wins I don't think the outcome changes the trajectory of either team. UConn will still be a contender for the NC and Ohio State will likely get to the Elite 8 and perhaps further.

Reaction Score

And...if John C. Calhoun had his way, California would not have entered the union as a free state.

And...if Rory Calhoun hadn't spent time behind bars, Rock Hudson's alternative life style would have been made public much earlier.

And...if the professional wrestling referees were impartial, William Dee "Haystack" Calhoun would have won many more matches.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
With the final score 100 - 54 UCONN, all questions have been answered.

Unless tOSU gets better scoring balance and learns how to play defense, they are Sweet 16 at best.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for the excuses from HoopDreams for this beat down. And Calhoun must be the greatest WCBB player to make at least a 45 point difference tonight. Of HoppDreams can see into the future so UCONN better watch out next year!

Reaction Score
I think Duke had Sierra Calhoun when they played the huskies last year - how did that work out?
Could be wrong on the recall but pretty sure Ms. Calhoun did not score in that game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And...if John C. Calhoun had his way, California would not have entered the union as a free state.

And...if Rory Calhoun hadn't spent time behind bars, Rock Hudson's alternative life style would have been made public much earlier.

And...if the professional wrestling referees were impartial, William Dee "Haystack" Calhoun would have won many more matches.
Now just wait a minute. You are not implying (or inferring) that professional wrestling is fixed are you?

Reaction Score
Now just wait a minute. You are not implying (or inferring) that professional wrestling is fixed are you?

No way...NO WAY!!! When Big Sexy Kevin Nash dropped a Power Bomb on you, you were done!! He earned his victories!

BTW, I think the referees in the WWE are better than the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom