UNC-Tenn | The Boneyard

UNC-Tenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm totally curious to see those UNC frosh, but am not sure they're ready just yet to challenge TN. And having an interim coach doesn't help either. Should be very uptempo and erratic. That is exactly the style of play that suits Simmons who I expect will have a big game.

Evil Orange 88-71

Reaction Score
TN should win this game big. If they don't, it would be an indicator that TN's poor performance against MTSU was not just a fluke.

TN 86-66

Reaction Score
How the game is called will have a big impact. We struggled with Middle because we kept on getting whistled which led to us not being able to push the ball after a missed basket or forced turnover and our game is transition ball and running it up the opponents' back. If we can avoid getting fouls called, we should have the advantage. Will be interesting to see Russell and Mavunga, the best friends ducking it out.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think UNC is a year away from challenging a team like TN. It's early, they have a ton of freshman, and no coach. Could be a blowout. I'll go with TN 85-64

Reaction Score
How the game is called will have a big impact. We struggled with Middle because we kept on getting whistled which led to us not being able to push the ball after a missed basket or forced turnover and our game is transition ball and running it up the opponents' back. If we can avoid getting fouls called, we should have the advantage. Will be interesting to see Russell and Mavunga, the best friends ducking it out.
Typical. Blame it on the refs. You can avoid getting fouls called by not fouling. Either Holly didn't have the team prepared for the new rules, or the players didn't listen.

Reaction Score
How the game is called will have a big impact. We struggled with Middle because we kept on getting whistled which led to us not being able to push the ball after a missed basket or forced turnover and our game is transition ball and running it up the opponents' back.
I think everyone--players, coaches, refs--are still getting used to the new rules and how they will be called. This in addition to the usual beginning-of-season fouls that players have to get out of their systems.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

UT 67
Heels 56

The LVs still have a lot to figure out, but this Heels unit has further to go. I think Graves and to a lesser extent MR will be the difference here. Carter will impact the Heels' perimeter offense.

Heels' best hope is to make it frenetic and turn the LVs over, using their athletes (esp DeShields) to score in transition. Home court energy and youthful enthusiasm could aide this effort. But it could also bite them in the butt unless they play poised on their own end. That's a tall order for this team especially in Nov.

Could easily be a low scoring slog until late.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You are making it sound like the game was a unique case of over-zealous refs and if the refs tonight call it "normally" the LV's will be OK.

I read the same thing on Tenn boards. Did you miss all the articles all over the place talking about the new interpretation of a foul? What happened at MTSU is the new normal, not an aberration.

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
I think our girls will pull out the win. However, given both teams style of play, I see this being a 3 hour game with lots of fouls, lots of turnovers, and very little offense.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I think our girls will pull out the win. However, given both teams style of play, I see this being a 3 hour game with lots of fouls, lots of turnovers, and very little offense.

The number of fouls also indicates the lack of skilled defense...ya have to move your feet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You are right, Oz. It is all about footwork and footspeed.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think UNC is a year away from challenging a team like TN. It's early, they have a ton of freshman, and no coach. Could be a blowout. I'll go with TN 85-64

You know Phil, there are a ton of orchestras that lament that if they could get rid of their conductor, oh, how they could play.

Many theorized that the new kids would be the real coaches, well here's their chance.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Let me help you out here, vol fan.

"We struggled with Middle because we kept fouling"

"If we can avoid fouling"

Reaction Score
Many theorized that the new kids would be the real coaches, well here's their chance.

As far as I can tell, this was based on the fact that several kids committed on the same day or in the same week. How this translates into "dont wanna be coached" is unclear to me.

Reaction Score
i dunno about this game. got a weird feeling in my stomach. the LVs need to come out swinging. i am very curious to see how they play tonight.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
i dunno about this game. got a weird feeling in my stomach. the LVs need to come out swinging. i am very curious to see how they play tonight.
Why would you be nervous? Notre Dame isn't playing tonight.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

My guess is they start slowly (again) and the game will be rough around the edges for long stretches (shocker :)) but LVs pull away in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
My guess is they start slowly (again) and the game will be rough around the edges for long stretches (shocker :)) but LVs pull away in the 2nd half.

i tend to agree with that. however, as the #4 team, they should beat them handily. we shall see...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
i tend to agree with that. however, as the #4 team, they should beat them handily. we shall see...

I'm just not so sure the ranking means much in assisting the handicapper.

The NC kids are a huge wild card.

Don't let them get confident.

JS

Reaction Score
As far as I can tell, this was based on the fact that several kids committed on the same day or in the same week. How this translates into "dont wanna be coached" is unclear to me.
It was a little more than that.

DeShields, the group commit organizer, said one reason she chose UNC was because she'd be freer to do what she wants, on the court and off.

Reaction Score
It was a little more than that.

DeShields, the group commit organizer, said one reason she chose UNC was because she'd be freer to do what she wants, on the court and off.

UNC plays a free-wheelin, helter-skelter type of game. Alert the media.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The early season is the time for whoa-I-didn't-expect-THAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom