UNC Investigation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UNC Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As best I understood the PSU case none of the criminal charges involved violations of NCAA rules and regulations as they pertain to athletics. As such I am not even certain that the NCAA had the right let alone the duty to hammer PSU before the facts emerged from the criminal case.

UConn Men's BB suffered a harsher penalty because why? Their kids went to class and failed.

1. The NCAA had no authority to hammer PSU either before or after facts emerged from the criminal case. They opted to ignore their bylaws and PSU, due to the awful crimes that had been committed and the bad publicity, let them go ahead and do it.

2. When all is said and done, I doubt that the UConn penalty will be nearly as harsh as the ultimate UNC penalty. BTW, some of the UConn players failed because they never went to class.

Reaction Score
While the fact is not being totally discounted, it is probably more a function of the men not taking enough credits to graduate in a specified period of time. Believed because remaining eligible requires progress toward a degree and a minimum GPA as determined by the institution's standards as it is applied to every student in the school.

(Thought my initial response too murky, so grabbed some facts)
In Division I, student-athletes must complete 40 percent of the coursework required for a degree by the end of their second year. They must complete 60 percent by the end of their third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year. Student-athletes are allowed five years to graduate while receiving athletically related financial aid. All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

Institutions in all divisions must determine and certify the academic eligibility of each student-athlete who represents the school on the field of play. Institutions are responsible for withholding academically ineligible student-athletes from competition.

Taking enough credits was NOT the issue with UConn men's basketball. They all took enough credits. They just failed too many courses and/or left school without completing their coursework.

Reaction Score
1. The NCAA had no authority to hammer PSU either before or after facts emerged from the criminal case. They opted to ignore their bylaws and PSU, due to the awful crimes that had been committed and the bad publicity, let them go ahead and do it.

2. When all is said and done, I doubt that the UConn penalty will be nearly as harsh as the ultimate UNC penalty. BTW, some of the UConn players failed because they never went to class.
I would have no doubt that skipped classes would be a factor, possibly even a major contribution at that. That is why I have railed against UNC since the fraud of their program dwarfed the shortcomings of the athletes on the Mens BB program. They had players clearly eligible only because of the bogus courses. But it has been suggested that UNC is perhaps trying to postpone any enforcement for long enough for the withdrawal of the P5 conferences from the NCAA and the reformation under their own set of new regulations. Maybe they get a free ride.

Reaction Score
My daughter's friend dated a Xavier player a few years ago. He was essentiality illiterate. She had to read the menu to him when they went out to dinner.

Perhaps just a language barrier. Maybe they went to Jean Claude's Maison de la viande Cheval.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From 7/8/14 CBS Sports article by Chip Patterson:
Rashad McCants quote: (from News & Observer/Charlotte Observer): “The question is what are we talking about, honestly. I mean I have a check being written to me from the University of North Carolina for over $10 million due to the exploitation of me as a player and the lack of education that I received. The NCAA has a check for me for over $300 million to help me facilitate these sports education programs across the country. These are things that's in the works.”
From 11/8/14 News & Observer:
2005 UNC basketball champs: 2 semesters, 35 bogus 'paper' classes
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article10122626.html#storylink=cpy
At least 4 of the key players of that team, including McCants, got credit for the bogus classes. McCants, for example, got an A- and made the Deans List.
Yet, the NCAA continues to duck and King Roy is allowed to reap the benefits this incredible sham.
Maybe a few emails Jeff Jacobs might spur him to write another piece on this. It can't go unaddressed.

Reaction Score
From 7/8/14 CBS Sports article by Chip Patterson:
Rashad McCants quote: (from News & Observer/Charlotte Observer): “The question is what are we talking about, honestly. I mean I have a check being written to me from the University of North Carolina for over $10 million due to the exploitation of me as a player and the lack of education that I received. The NCAA has a check for me for over $300 million to help me facilitate these sports education programs across the country. These are things that's in the works.”
From 11/8/14 News & Observer:
2005 UNC basketball champs: 2 semesters, 35 bogus 'paper' classes
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article10122626.html#storylink=cpy
At least 4 of the key players of that team, including McCants, got credit for the bogus classes. McCants, for example, got an A- and made the Deans List.
Yet, the NCAA continues to duck and King Roy is allowed to reap the benefits this incredible sham.
Maybe a few emails Jeff Jacobs might spur him to write another piece on this. It can't go unaddressed.
The indictments in this case should perhaps start with the NCAA. Look aat the timing. Looks like 2008 or so the fraud ended. 5 or 6 years later only the minimal self imposed penalties are or were in play. This article from late 2014. Another 12-15 months has passed. Still nothing from the NCAA. UNC brought up some new potential violations. NCAA? Okay, we'll wait for another whatever time frame for further investigations. Remember Penn State? Absolutely no violations of any NCAA rule or regulation had occurred. The judicial process had not been completed so there had not been yet any proven acts by Sandusky. Yet the NCAA put a $60 million fine, 4 year ban in post season, scholarship losses, etc. all in place in record time. Yet they sit on their collective hands. May be an all time low performance even the NCAA and that's going some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom