UNC in trouble against ASU in OT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UNC in trouble against ASU in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Diamond is a freshman who is shot over 50% to get her 28 points today. Not sure why anyone would feel the need to criticize that effort. She also had 8 rebounds and 5 steals to offset the 5 TOs. The only concern I see is the 0 assists, but she is a shooting guard. In Maya Moore's last game at UCONN took 30 shots to get 36 points, had 2 assists with 4 TOs and 4 steals, as a reference point. Guards that are asked to score a lot often don't have that many assists. Seems like sour grapes.
well said ETT... but you shouldve never ever ever ever mentioned Maya :oops:

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Diamond went to the Free Throw line with 9 seconds left in regulation and missed two free throws which would have enabled UNC to get the win. ASU made a layup as time expired to tie the game. Besides the missed free throws & fouling out, Diamond had a great game for a freshmen.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wish I had a dollar for every negative comment about Simmons on this board, I would be a rich man. DeShields is, in her very short career, a Simmons clone. There is no question that DeShields is athletically gifted (brilliant per the above UNC Wonem's Basketball writeup ;)), but until she begins to play team ball, the team will have only mediocre results against decent teams even though surrounded by excellent players like Mavunga and McDaniels, just as does Tennessee. Or rather, maybe Simmons recent 32 point game elevates her to AA and top POY consideration. :confused:
you'd owe me 2.00 just off this post if I wished the same

Reaction Score
Put down the crack pipe please. Maya Moore is one of the greatest woman basketball players on the planet. No one disputes that. Even though this site has a focus on women's college basketball, it's easy to identify the states where the dumbest people live. I've heard the average IQ in Texas is 75 and I'm starting to believe it!
Overreact much?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Put down the crack pipe please. Maya Moore is one of the greatest woman basketball players on the planet. No one disputes that. Even though this site has a focus on women's college basketball, it's easy to identify the states where the dumbest people live. I've heard the average IQ in Texas is 75 and I'm starting to believe it!
There were several people who pointed out ETT should not have compared DD to MM. But all of them did it nicer than you did. I've occasionally poked fun at Baylor and ETT, but what you said was mean.

Getting back to Diamond - the kid's a freshman. She has mad athleticism and some very good hoops skills. She also has some learning to do, but what freshman doesn't? Maya did many things well as a freshman. I think she and DD are in 2 different categories. Maya was one of the all time greats in college and as a pro, is literally one of the best in the world. I honestly don't think DD has that kind of greatness in her - not because she lacks talent, but because she lacks the desire AND humility to be great.

By humility, (and this is not to say she could ONLY be great if she came to UCONN), I'm referring to her reasoning for going to UNC. A player who wants to attend one school over another mainly because she will get to do more of what she wants to do is not indicative of a player who wants to learn, or really feels the coaches have an overabundance to teach her. I'd say the same thing if she chose UNC over ND or Stanford as I think Tara and Muffet are two of the best teachers in WHoops besides Geno.

At any rate, it remains to be seen over her 4 years at UNC just how much DD improves, matures and learns. In a way she reminds me of Angel McCaughtry - potential greatness is there, but the right 'tude is somewhat skewed...

Reaction Score

Wow! speaking about putting away the "crack pipe". Touchy aren't you. Crack can do that to I have read.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My only reason for mentioning Maya was because you don't get through to some people unless you hit a nerve. I was not comparing Maya to DD, just pointing out a similarity in the stat line that was being criticized to one of Maya's. DD's stat line was very respectable and of course Maya is one of the top players in the history of the game.

And I don't smoke crack, but I am pretty 420 friendly.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There were several people who pointed out ETT should not have compared DD to MM. But all of them did it nicer than you did. I've occasionally poked fun at Baylor and ETT, but what you said was mean.

Getting back to Diamond - the kid's a freshman. She has mad athleticism and some very good hoops skills. She also has some learning to do, but what freshman doesn't? Maya did many things well as a freshman. I think she and DD are in 2 different categories. Maya was one of the all time greats in college and as a pro, is literally one of the best in the world. I honestly don't think DD has that kind of greatness in her - not because she lacks talent, but because she lacks the desire AND humility to be great.

By humility, (and this is not to say she could ONLY be great if she came to UCONN), I'm referring to her reasoning for going to UNC. A player who wants to attend one school over another mainly because she will get to do more of what she wants to do is not indicative of a player who wants to learn, or really feels the coaches have an overabundance to teach her. I'd say the same thing if she chose UNC over ND or Stanford as I think Tara and Muffet are two of the best teachers in WHoops besides Geno.

At any rate, it remains to be seen over her 4 years at UNC just how much DD improves, matures and learns. In a way she reminds me of Angel McCaughtry - potential greatness is there, but the right 'tude is somewhat skewed...

A really rough season with lots of losses can teach a player humility. You are not born without humility so it can be taught and sometimes it takes some hard times to do that. When I watch DD the only player I can think to compare her to is Maya because they both have that unique combination of athleticism and basketball talent. So I am not really ready to write DD off 6 games into her colleger career.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
easttexastrash, as a reference point, Maya Moore was not and is not a guard. Caroline Doty and Tiffany Hayes were the guards, so your reference is meaningless. To compare Diamond DeShields at this point in their careers is ludicrous. Maya was a team player who would take more shots when needed, like when she single-handedly brought UConn back from defeat against Stanford in the National Championship game. Diamond has a long way to go to get anywhere near Maya. Let's not get crazy. Three time player of the Year, two National Championships and there for every one of the ninety consecutive games winning streak.

Maybe you missed that I compared the stat line from two games, not the two players to each other. But I do think that DD has a very similar game to Maya.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

The true sign of ignorance is when a person lashes out in anger. Thus, I conclude that HoopsFan21 has Texas lineage.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A really rough season with lots of losses can teach a player humility. You are not born without humility so it can be taught and sometimes it takes some hard times to do that. When I watch DD the only player I can think to compare her to is Maya because they both have that unique combination of athleticism and basketball talent. So I am not really ready to write DD off 6 games into her colleger career.
Where did I say I was writing her off? I was merely saying she may have the physical gifts to be a Maya or Diana or Candace, but I think she is lacking something to achieve those lofty heights. Doesn't mean she won't be a very good player. Lots of players are very good. Only a few are great.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Sometimes IMO people forget the difference between the college game and high school. A friend who watched USA said DD and KD could not play together, 1 trying to outdo the other. Even though there are players who can rack up stats in college, they may not be on a really successful team. For a team to win in college, they have to play team ball. It remains to be seen whether this will happen at UNC. Not saying it won't but hasn't happened yet.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My only reason for mentioning Maya was because you don't get through to some people unless you hit a nerve. I was not comparing Maya to DD, just pointing out a similarity in the stat line that was being criticized to one of Maya's. DD's stat line was very respectable and of course Maya is one of the top players in the history of the game.

And I don't smoke crack, but I am pretty 420 friendly.
That's incredibowl.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'm sure TDF is claiming he's looking close to like this right now:

Crying-baby.jpg
A poor reference point, if you're suggesting Maya was a high volume, low percentage shooter with few assists, all untrue.

Selecting stats for one of Maya's games proves nothing. And remember the context of that one game you've selected. UConn was in process of getting bounced in the 2011 Final Four, and the youth of Maya's teammates was showing under that pressure. So she tried to take it all upon herself to stave off defeat.

Looking at that season as a whole, however, she averaged about 4 assists per game, very respectable given everything else she was doing. And her field goal percentage was .524, the fourth year in a row she shot over .500 on the season.

Too early to say where Diamond is going stats-wise this year, but a comparison based on Maya's final game as a Husky is rather ludicrous.
We were young and had no depth!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A few points;

Yes, Simmons had a good game and she's had some before
But in the games in which the team played against strong opposition (or even determined), she is most often MIA.

Yes Diamond is wondeful talent and a good organizer and Sylvia is not a bad coach.
But we'll only see the best of her in later years when a Brian Angler type gets his hand on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom