UNC in trouble against ASU in OT | The Boneyard

UNC in trouble against ASU in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
87-79 Sun Devils with 2:45 left.

I'm not watching, but this score caught my eye.

BTW, Diamond has 28 points on the strength of 6-9 shooting from three.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UNC is toast- 93-81 ASU with 15 seconds left.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
ASU won in OT despite 3 starters fouling out in regulation (while UNC had just 1 foul out in regulation). Despite the lack of starters, they outscored the Tarheels 17-4 in OT.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
this result pains me

I'm sure TDF is claiming he's looking close to like this right now:

Crying-baby.jpg

Reaction Score
Diamond "Simmons" DeSheilds scores 28 points on 21 shots: 0-4 from three, 5 turnovers, 0 assists. Box indicates she "fowled" out - must have been in the first half since she only had 21 shots.

Reaction Score
Diamond "Simmons" DeSheilds scores 28 points on 21 shots: 0-4 from three, 5 turnovers, 0 assists. Box indicates she "fowled" out - must have been in the first half since she only had 21 shots.
Yep, it's going to be a long four years. I hope Xylina is satisfied with getting 5-6 touches a game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
DD didn't foul out in regulation. She fouled out with 24 seconds left.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
DD didn't foul out in regulation. She fouled out with 24 seconds left.
24 seconds left in regulation or in overtime.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
24 seconds left in regulation or in overtime.
OT

UNC may become good when the frosh get more experience, but at the moment, as expected, they were over-ranked.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Diamond is a freshman who is shot over 50% to get her 28 points today. Not sure why anyone would feel the need to criticize that effort. She also had 8 rebounds and 5 steals to offset the 5 TOs. The only concern I see is the 0 assists, but she is a shooting guard. In Maya Moore's last game at UCONN took 30 shots to get 36 points, had 2 assists with 4 TOs and 4 steals, as a reference point. Guards that are asked to score a lot often don't have that many assists. Seems like sour grapes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DD stat line today is really good. I did not see the game but w/o here stat, UNC would have been blown out of the gym.
The only game I have seen UNC played is UNC vs TEN and from what I saw DD is an amazing athlete, but she seems to play
a little too much men style street ball, at least in that game. If the UNC coach can get her game in control, she is going to be
a great wbb player, or she can become another Angel McCoughtry which is not a bad career.

Reaction Score
Yep, it's going to be a long four years. I hope Xylina is satisfied with getting 5-6 touches a game.

She had 3 regular fouls and then a technical foul for a 4th all in the 1st half. That's why she didn't get touches, she had to sit.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Diamond is a freshman who is shot over 50% to get her 28 points today. Not sure why anyone would feel the need to criticize that effort. She also had 8 rebounds and 5 steals to offset the 5 TOs. The only concern I see is the 0 assists, but she is a shooting guard. In Maya Moore's last game at UCONN took 30 shots to get 36 points, had 2 assists with 4 TOs and 4 steals, as a reference point. Guards that are asked to score a lot often don't have that many assists. Seems like sour grapes.

Actually she had a great stat line yesterday as well. You see her as a SG.... i have always seen her as a SF... with Gray being the SG... though they are both wings and pretty much interchangeable I have seen alot of pot shots on here towards Diamond...... stuff like that is better left for us Duke fans ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diamond has had a couple of good shooting games, after some weak ones. Simmons just had a very good one.

Generally speaking, I think their shot selection is poor, but the bottom line is how many go in, especially at key points in the game. If they jack up threes and make over 40%, good for them. If they are under 30%, not so much.

Reaction Score
I wish I had a dollar for every negative comment about Simmons on this board, I would be a rich man. DeShields is, in her very short career, a Simmons clone. There is no question that DeShields is athletically gifted (brilliant per the above UNC Wonem's Basketball writeup ;)), but until she begins to play team ball, the team will have only mediocre results against decent teams even though surrounded by excellent players like Mavunga and McDaniels, just as does Tennessee. Or rather, maybe Simmons recent 32 point game elevates her to AA and top POY consideration. :confused:

JS

Reaction Score
In Maya Moore's last game at UCONN took 30 shots to get 36 points, had 2 assists with 4 TOs and 4 steals, as a reference point.
A poor reference point, if you're suggesting Maya was a high volume, low percentage shooter with few assists, all untrue.

Selecting stats for one of Maya's games proves nothing. And remember the context of that one game you've selected. UConn was in process of getting bounced in the 2011 Final Four, and the youth of Maya's teammates was showing under that pressure. So she tried to take it all upon herself to stave off defeat.

Looking at that season as a whole, however, she averaged about 4 assists per game, very respectable given everything else she was doing. And her field goal percentage was .524, the fourth year in a row she shot over .500 on the season.

Too early to say where Diamond is going stats-wise this year, but a comparison based on Maya's final game as a Husky is rather ludicrous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
easttexastrash, as a reference point, Maya Moore was not and is not a guard. Caroline Doty and Tiffany Hayes were the guards, so your reference is meaningless. To compare Diamond DeShields at this point in their careers is ludicrous. Maya was a team player who would take more shots when needed, like when she single-handedly brought UConn back from defeat against Stanford in the National Championship game. Diamond has a long way to go to get anywhere near Maya. Let's not get crazy. Three time player of the Year, two National Championships and there for every one of the ninety consecutive games winning streak.

Reaction Score
Put down the crack pipe please. Maya Moore is one of the greatest woman basketball players on the planet. No one disputes that. Even though this site has a focus on women's college basketball, it's easy to identify the states where the dumbest people live. I've heard the average IQ in Texas is 75 and I'm starting to believe it!

Reaction Score
easttexastrash, as a reference point, Maya Moore was not and is not a guard. Caroline Doty and Tiffany Hayes were the guards, so your reference is meaningless. To compare Diamond DeShields at this point in their careers is ludicrous. Maya was a team player who would take more shots when needed, like when she single-handedly brought UConn back from defeat against Stanford in the National Championship game. Diamond has a long way to go to get anywhere near Maya. Let's not get crazy. Three time player of the Year, two National Championships and there for every one of the ninety consecutive games winning streak.
You need can't compare a senior Maya to a freshman Diamond, a freshman Maya would be a more apt comparison. I could also say Diamond isn't guard either but more of a wing. I think what Diamond's problems are her shot selection and the ability to adjust with the flow of the game.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Diamond is immensely talented, it's very obvious. I don't think she will get the level of coaching she could have gotten elsewhere (ahem, UConn) but she will probably have a very nice college career and then maybe get some coaching in the pros. She definitely has pro-level quickness.

But she's no Maya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc