UNC history prof on the scandal | The Boneyard

UNC history prof on the scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unc-pr...s-in-defense-of-rashad-mccants-164401647.html

"I'm struck by the profiles of those attacking Rashad McCants," Smith wrote in his email to me. "On the one hand, you have old-timers spouting off about their experiences in the 1960s, '70s or early '80s. These people haven't seen the inside of an academic support program in years, even decades. They don't have a clue what the program was like in 2005. Yet they hurl their venom at McCants – a player who had the guts to share his transcript on television, and who also had the guts to buck the tide while he was at UNC [an offense against ‘the family' for which he has never been forgiven]."...

"As for McCants' refusal thus far to speak to the NCAA or UNC's compliance officer … I can't say that I blame him," Smith wrote. "Look at what UNC has done to him in the wake of his allegations. They slimed him, as they do everyone who dares to utter a critical word about the UNC athletic machine. Why would he want to sit down for a discussion with such people?"...

Smith believes that instead of the backlash on McCants, more attention should be paid to coach Roy Williams and his staff. In particular, Williams' longtime academic counselor, who came with him from Kansas to North Carolina in 2003....

"[Roy Williams] regarded Walden as such a vital contributor to the good fortunes of his teams that he was practically moved to tears when Walden departed in 2009."

Reaction Score
Professor Smith has this right ...

The UNC administrators and Roy Williams are "Con Men" trying to put one over on everyone. Rashad McCant's may not be a perfect poster boy (Who would be?) ... but it took courage for him to step up & show his transcripts and put forward this fraud. The next steps will be brutal for the University as guys like Smith are writing books and pursuing more leads to tell the complete picture. NCAA scorned and other Universities are not going to want scrutiny.

Reaction Score
We'll see where all this goes. I have a hard time believing the NCAA will do much to pnalize North Carolina or Roy Williams. Wouldn't it be a hoot if UNC had to forfeit their title? Imagine if Roy Williams and UNC would get a championship vacated before Callipari? And these clowns as well as the likes of Oklahoma State want to be free from NCAA oversight. LOL.

Reaction Score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unc-pr...s-in-defense-of-rashad-mccants-164401647.html

"I'm struck by the profiles of those attacking Rashad McCants," Smith wrote in his email to me. "On the one hand, you have old-timers spouting off about their experiences in the 1960s, '70s or early '80s. These people haven't seen the inside of an academic support program in years, even decades. They don't have a clue what the program was like in 2005. Yet they hurl their venom at McCants – a player who had the guts to share his transcript on television, and who also had the guts to buck the tide while he was at UNC [an offense against ‘the family' for which he has never been forgiven]."...

"As for McCants' refusal thus far to speak to the NCAA or UNC's compliance officer … I can't say that I blame him," Smith wrote. "Look at what UNC has done to him in the wake of his allegations. They slimed him, as they do everyone who dares to utter a critical word about the UNC athletic machine. Why would he want to sit down for a discussion with such people?"...

Smith believes that instead of the backlash on McCants, more attention should be paid to coach Roy Williams and his staff. In particular, Williams' longtime academic counselor, who came with him from Kansas to North Carolina in 2003....

"[Roy Williams] regarded Walden as such a vital contributor to the good fortunes of his teams that he was practically moved to tears when Walden departed in 2009."

I assume the good Professor is ready for what's about to be thrown ("slime") at him. The gentleman has some stones.

Reaction Score
Now that plenty of credible evidence is surfacing to sanction UNC, maybe we should have a little side wager as to whether the NCAA will slide out from under it by having the P-5 leave their jurisdiction. Part of me feels that there is no way that sleazy organization with their petty tyrant Mark Emmert will ever come down on UNC. Maybe the NCAA will just drag their feet under the guise of conducting a thorough investigation. Their title won with McCants on the team as an ineligible player should be vacated as a minimum sanction. But I doubt this will ever happen

Reaction Score
I think Emmert - given his background (LSU, Washington etc) and worldview - desperately wants to set the P5 on the path to separating and paying revenue Males. But Emmert's constituency is NOT the P5. Under current rules, he doesn't have the votes. As we all see, the P5 Commissioners (reflecting their members) are consistently ratcheting up the demands. (for our sake, let's hope they f0kk up)

Reaction Score
I have said it elsewhere; but, I believe if there is any evidence collaborating this scandal, the NCAA has to go after UNC. If not, The NCAA's dance around hammering UNC will inevitably come-up in one or more of the various suits that NCAA is fighting with respect to amateur sports and academic integrity. The pain of hammering it's golden boy would be far less than the pain the NCAA will feel in the courts.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have said it elsewhere; but, I believe if there is any evidence collaborating this scandal, the NCAA has to go after UNC. If not, The NCAA's dance around hammering UNC will inevitably come-up in one or more of the various suits that NCAA is fighting with respect to amateur sports and academic integrity. The pain of hammering it's golden boy would be far less than the pain the NCAA will feel in the courts.

I believe the NCAA would have a better case if they can get a hold of some evidence corroborating the scandal.

Reaction Score
We'll see where all this goes. I have a hard time believing the NCAA will do much to pnalize North Carolina or Roy Williams. Wouldn't it be a hoot if UNC had to forfeit their title? Imagine if Roy Williams and UNC would get a championship vacated before Callipari? And these clowns as well as the likes of Oklahoma State want to be free from NCAA oversight. LOL.
Which is worse, Reggie Bush taking money or this? If the NCAA doesn't vacate this title, college sports as we know it is in big trouble.

Reaction Score
Seems like UNC is already pretty much free from NCAA oversight.

Reaction Score
Which is worse, Reggie Bush taking money or this? If the NCAA doesn't vacate this title, college sports as we know it is in big trouble.

UConn is in the AAC. College sports as we know them are already in big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom