UNC and Wake to Play Non-Conference Football Game | The Boneyard

UNC and Wake to Play Non-Conference Football Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Makes sense for rivalries that meet only so often....

FSU and Miami would have not played baseball as opponents for 2014 or 2015 if they did not schedule each other as OOC games.

Georgia Tech, FSU's nearest conference rival (and oldest....FSU played them in 1903), comes to Tallahassee once every 12 years....I could see adding a game in OOC.

Reaction Score
SEC teams have also done it and from what I hear several will announce similar arrangements for future games. Makes a lot more sense than paying some directional state U over $1 million for a one and done. The fan bases get a game with a team they care about, strength of schedule for the entire conference is improved and the money stays within the family.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We did with UMass once. We beat them twice and they went on to win the D-1AA title.

Reaction Score
If this trend continues - and let's be honest, it makes sense, a local opponent an hour and 15 minutes apart, within your fan base's area - then we are likely to be boxed out of even more P5 games.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rest-demon-deacons-agree-nonconference-series

Interesting. Clemson asked a year ago if they could do this with UVA, and they were told no by the ACC. I wonder what has changed? Maybe the Tarheels got to John Swofford and got this accepted. I can now see Florida State doing this with Georgia Tech and Miami doing this with Boston College and Syracuse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We did with UMass once. We beat them twice and they went on to win the D-1AA title.

That wasn't on purpose was it? That was because BU dropped their program and left the league with holes in the schedule. At least that is how I remember it even though it was a non-conf game in Amherst.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Divisions force strange things...crazy things.

NC State and Duke are 35 miles apart and will play only once in the next 11 years (2020).....

Reaction Score
This came up last May....

"
On Monday, the ACC announced it would remain at an eight-game conference schedule. Beginning in 2017, league teams also will be required to play at least one nonconference opponent from a power five league.
More from ESPN.com
adelson_andrea_m.jpg
After much discussion, the ACC decided the status quo was best and voted to remain at eight league games, Andrea Adelson writes. Story

Because of the eight-game league schedule, non-primary crossover rivals in the Atlantic and Coastal divisions may wind up playing each other only once in an 11-year span. This prompted discussion at the spring meetings about scheduling fellow ACC teams as nonconference opponents in future seasons. Some possible future ACC "nonconference" games could pit Miami against Syracuse, Duke against NC State, and Clemson against Virginia.

"Everything's on the table," Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said. "I think all the coaches felt like playing each other more, [that] if there was a model for that, we'd be open to it," NC State coach Dave Doeren said. "They are going to allow us to use that plus-one game in the conference as a nonconference game, so that will be interesting to see where it goes. When we don't have to play Notre Dame, playing Duke or Virginia or somebody from the Coastal that we don't play will be a discussion we want to have."

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Couldn't they just, you know, redo the divisions so ACC Stars 'n' Bars is in one division and ACC Northern Aggression is in the other division? You know, classic ACC plus one of Ga Tech/FSU in one and former Big East plus one of Ga Tech/FSU in the other. The divisions don't actually matter in the ACC, it's the one that FSU Is In and The Other One so you might as well set it up so the schools play the schools they've been playing traditionally.

pj

Reaction Score
Couldn't they just, you know, redo the divisions so ACC Stars 'n' Bars is in one division and ACC Northern Aggression is in the other division? You know, classic ACC plus one of Ga Tech/FSU in one and former Big East plus one of Ga Tech/FSU in the other. The divisions don't actually matter in the ACC, it's the one that FSU Is In and The Other One so you might as well set it up so the schools play the schools they've been playing traditionally.

FSU/Miami/GTech/Clemson/UNC/NC State/Wake in South and Duke/UVa/Va Tech/Lville/Pitt/Cuse/BC in North would probably be the split, but then UVa/VaTech/Duke get separated from UNC/NC State/Wake.

To get the cultural fits you'd probably want 3 groups, FSU/Miami/GTech/Clemson as a southern group, BC/Cuse/Pitt/Va Tech/Lville as a northern group, UNC/NC State/Wake/Duke/UVa as a Tobacco Road group. If Notre Dame joins, Lville to the south and Notre Dame to the north. They might actually be considering that, or else Cincy or UConn for 16. With CCG deregulation all would be options.

Reaction Score
The problem originally was that some programs did not want to be cut off from playing in Florida for recruiting reasons. So some play Miami and some played FSU.

Georgia Tech has historic rivalries with Duke and North Carolina and did not desire to play in another division...and, interestingly Miami doesn't mind playing up northeast, where they recruit students and have an alumni base.

Reaction Score

The ACC could. But the ACC members decided they wanted to split Miami and Florida State in separate divisions to perhaps have that as the Championship match-up. Ironically, it has never been a championship match-up. Then all the other teams want to have a member in their division from Florida. It was also decided to not have all of the North Carolina schools in one division, so they were split up. And with bringing in some Big East teams, the ACC didn't want to put all of them into one division. The league wanted to better integrate them quickly. So we ended up with what we have.

The divisions aren't a problem. What is a problem is 14 team scheduling in two divisions with 8 games only. It takes too long to get to play everyone in the other division.

Reaction Score
Guys were overlooking the obvious: UConn and UNC to the B1G

Reaction Score
Proof that the clock is ticking. Of course, our leaders aren't going to tell us who they are meeting with, but if Malloy couldnt arrange an additional tax credit/loan to the four letter network by now, we are stuck in the minors. Don't hand me this crap about Blumies suit (which still bothers me) or BC or football drives the bus. Penn State or another football factory are not going to the ACC. Nor is Notre Dame. Money drives the bus. If ESPN told FSU To accept UCONN for an ACCN and the guarantee they will promote the heck out of non-conference match ups for FSU, Swofford and everybody would be on a flight to Hartford.

Reaction Score
If this trend continues - and let's be honest, it makes sense, a local opponent an hour and 15 minutes apart, within your fan base's area - then we are likely to be boxed out of even more P5 games.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rest-demon-deacons-agree-nonconference-series

If this trend is to continue, perhaps the AAC and the Mountain West should form some type of strategic alliance for non conference games. Somehow BYU and Army might be brought in too. Between the two conferences they could cultivate National appeal with the help of the military academies and The two conferences could even consider some type of competition between the top teams. I liken the affiliation to the AFL before they merged with the NFL.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, I was thinking about litigation, some sort of restraint of trade, monopolistic, anti-trust class action law suit. ESPN is the power source but they are using that power to rig the system. Here is a link to some postings on the subject of going the legal route. No question UCONN and the others have been financially harmed by the actions of the so called P5. I know if UCONN was now part of the P5, I would not be writing this and also would be annoyed by the underlings suing but the fact is, my team is suffering from inadequate revenue and a sinking appeal due to the monopoly created by ESPN and the P5 schools.

http://realignment.csnbbs.com/thread-698158-post-11009242.html

Reaction Score
In conference out of conference games is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. That and UCONN Basketball being relegated to the AAC.

Reaction Score
While it is slightly ridiculous...playing an in-conference team just twice in 32 years is just as ridiculous (playing every 11 years means that when you meet in year 32...you have played twice).

Might as well not be in the same conference.

Reaction Score

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Syracuse-UNC? That's really gonna pack 'em in at MetLife!

(It might do okay at Yankee Stadium, he added grudgingly.)

Reaction Score
Syracuse-UNC? That's really gonna pack 'em in at MetLife!

(It might do okay at Yankee Stadium, he added grudgingly.)

I'm not sure the groundskeepers would allow them to put a basketball court down on the field. Oh you meant for football? Then in that case... Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Reaction Score
That wasn't on purpose was it? That was because BU dropped their program and left the league with holes in the schedule. At least that is how I remember it even though it was a non-conf game in Amherst.
That is correct. '98 when BU dropped FB. We swepped UMass that year, lost to Ga Southern in 2nd round of playoffs, and UMass won the national championship, beating Ga Southern in the finals.

Reaction Score
So, the situation is: we are are trying to be as attractive as possible to get one of the P5's to pick us up, but we are now worried they are are going to decide to just play with themselves. Great. The CR landscape keeps getting uglier...for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom