UK vs Louisville - FoxSports South 1 PM | The Boneyard

UK vs Louisville - FoxSports South 1 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Should be a great game as a prelude to watching UConn vs OSU at 5:30 PM.

Besides UConn playing both Stanford and Maryland, its the only time so far this year where two Top 10 teams will face each other. Don't understand why more WBB teams don't improve their OOC Schedule. Men's basketball have better match ups during non conference play then the Women do.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
A lot of the MCBB schedule is dictated by made-for-tv matchups. You see this a little on the women's side (Baylor and UConn, UConn and Stanford so early in the season) but not nearly as much. The men's side has also developed "Conference Rivalry" series, such as the ACC-Big10 matchups, which are also made for TV, pretty much. I think on the women's side a lot has to do with teams not wanting to schedule each other, or not wanting a home-and-home series. Once you get into conference play a lot of teams don't want to schedule non-conference opponents, so that limits the scheduling possibilities also. It's very difficult to build an OOC schedule years in advance because you don't necessarily know who the top teams will be...UConn scheduled UNC for years, and then UNC stopped the series because it was such a beating. Now I would love to see that matchup.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
There are very few changes in the Top 15 from year to year. It should be easy for teams to schedule home/away series, if the teams were inclined to do so. Even if one of the usual Top 15 teams have a bad year or two, the game would still draw interest from WBB fans. Its better to lose a game against a Top 15 team then it is to beat a team that has an RPI ranking lower then 150. Stanford, Maryland & PSU losing to UConn had little impact on how high they're ranked. They also know what they need to improve on if they want to get to the Final Four. The sport would be improved if there were more games against Ranked opponents during non conference play. Probably preaching to the choir :)

A lot of the MCBB schedule is dictated by made-for-tv matchups. You see this a little on the women's side (Baylor and UConn, UConn and Stanford so early in the season) but not nearly as much. The men's side has also developed "Conference Rivalry" series, such as the ACC-Big10 matchups, which are also made for TV, pretty much. I think on the women's side a lot has to do with teams not wanting to schedule each other, or not wanting a home-and-home series. Once you get into conference play a lot of teams don't want to schedule non-conference opponents, so that limits the scheduling possibilities also. It's very difficult to build an OOC schedule years in advance because you don't necessarily know who the top teams will be...UConn scheduled UNC for years, and then UNC stopped the series because it was such a beating. Now I would love to see that matchup.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I agree, I just don't think it's as easy as picking up the phone and calling top-15 coaches to get a game scheduled.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'll be watching to see if KY can take advantage of the new 10 second rule against an elite team and how fouls are called.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Kentucky will win this one!

As far as scheduling, I have a friend in the athletics department at Northwestern and he says scheduling is a headache. More goes into it than you think.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
great post, find... thanks a bunch!

Reaction Score
Foul fest to start off. Louisville up 13 -4 early.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn scheduled UNC for years, and then UNC stopped the series because it was such a beating. Now I would love to see that matchup.
Actually, Sylvia Hatchell wanted to continued the series. Geno is the one that stopped it because the games were non-competitive.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Louisville is tough on defense. UK not able to put the ball in the hoop. Would love to see L'ville roll in this game!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Until Kentucky is able to recruit and sign quality post player & forwards, can't see them winning a National Championship. This team is flawed this year, because of lack of quality size. Samarie and Stallworth are nice players but they aren't going to require extra attention by any of the elite teams.

Reaction Score
What I see is a lot of sloppy play and way too much dribbling, especially Jude Schimmel. If she plays that way against UConn, Moriah will have a field day. Sorry to say I am not impressed by either team.

Reaction Score
Sad to think these are top 10 teams. The turnovers, the poor shooting.... everything. Except for a few, is there any way Geno can coach all WBB teams?

Reaction Score
Just watching the play of both teams in the first half makes me more aware and eager to watch the precision and flow of UConn playing - a totally different feel and precision - every move with a purpose and the ball movement precise and disciplined - the reason I love watching UConn.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
In the half, KY has five assists and 12 tos. Lville has 3 and 14..

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's a good example of the difference of opinion on this board. Would you rather watch UConn play excellent basketball and win by 30-50. Or watch a game like this where the game isn't played that well, but it has a chance to be a close competitive game.

I know, Watching UConn in a close competitive game would be another choice. But with what's out there this year, I'm not sure that is possible.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For two nationally ranked, very poor shooting and very sloppy ball handling.

IMO, the poor play takes away from it being a competitive game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Can't wait for UCONN to play L'ville. UCONN wins by 30-40 IMHO and the complainers finally shut it since it makes no difference who UCONN plays - at full strength very few games vs. UCONN will be even remotely close.

BTW nobody on L'ville seems to be able to hang on to the ball. Really seeing some good defense on display by Kentucky. 6 or 7 TO's in a row by L'ville? Pretty awful, but credit Kentucky.

Having said that, when you have 2 good teams playing, it's going to look ugly at times. UCONN only scored 4 points in the first 8 minutes vs. PSU.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Why hasn't Walz called a time out. He team is in complete disarray and not handling Ky's pressure

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UCONN beat both of these teams by 30+ last year, I don't see why they wouldn't again this year.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
playing against UConn would make these teams look better as well

Reaction Score
Actually, Sylvia Hatchell wanted to continued the series. Geno is the one that stopped it because the games were non-competitive.

Nan, by that logic UCONN would have no OOC games ;)!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Louisville had 24 turn overs and 24 fouls and those two stats were the difference in the game. Good win by Kentucky

For the TV announcers UConn has never had a home court advantage for a Regional. Yes, UConn has played close to home in Regionals, but they also have had to travel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom