UConn's Shifting Starting Lineup? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Shifting Starting Lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Question: In Geno's career how often has he changed a starting lineup mid-season (not counting injuries, senior night, or a player at her 'home' game)?

Answer: Very very rarely (in my memory). The few cases I can recall were because the team was not performing well.
The other thing about that IIRC, even when he's had great players off the bench, he would STILL start his main 5 and sometimes bring in someone at the first timeout. Sort of like what he does senior night when he starts everyone who's a senior.

So he might have a starter play basically 10 minutes or so - 5 at the start of each half - but he doesn't make changes often, unless he's forced to due to injuries...

Reaction Score
Moriah, KML, Breanna, Morgan and Stef/Kiah (situational - depening upon who we are playing).

Has Geno EVER done situational starting? I cannot think of one such case.

Geno adjusts *playing time*, not starting.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Here is what bugs me. And John, feel free to address this.

You have made posts on starting lineups before. Controversial ones at that. Like the OP in this thread.

Then several posts are made in response to your outrageous lineup choice. But you rarely defend your position with any analysis or reasoning.

So, let me ask you directly. Clearly something has to have gone amiss with the team for Geno to make these changes. What are you seeing in UConn's upcoming performances that would do that.

And why would you think that starting 3 freshman over seniors and juniors including one that was an AA last year is a good idea?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Has Geno EVER done situational starting? I cannot think of one such case.

Geno adjusts *playing time*, not starting.

I want to say that Geno started Kiah over Stef in one game last year, but I may be mistaken and would have to check. Other than that I cannot recall any situational adjustments to the starting lineup in recent years; only injury or Senior / homecoming game type things.

Edit: after checking The UCONN website I see I was mistaken. The only deviation last year was that KML started one game in place of Doty, when Doty sat out a game.

Reaction Score
I want to say that Geno started Kiah over Stef in one game last year, but I may be mistaken and would have to check. Other than that I cannot recall any situational adjustments to the starting lineup in recent years; only injury or Senior / homecoming game type things.

According to the UConn website, Kiah didn't start any games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Second year in a row people are forgetting she's our best player. You think she would have proved it, considering she was our best player in pretty much every single big game Uconn played.
Big Game Bria was a 1st team All-American last year. The only one on the team. Bria will start.

Reaction Score
Game 1 - Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML, Stef

Game 39 - Caroline, Bria, Kelly, KML, Stef

I think there are other lineups that would allow for better scoring or better mismatches against other teams, but when Geno's had the option, he's NEVER started freshmen if he doesn't have to...

Barring injury, the chances that Caroline won't start all season are slim to none. Geno has said that he won't let her warm up, then sit the bench and get stiff before brings her in.

Reaction Score
I think I found something we can all agree on.
Regardless of who starts we will have the best bench ever in the history of WCBB.

Reaction Score
Regardless of who starts we will have the best bench ever in the history of WCBB.

No. Not even close to the best UConn bench.

Reaction Score
GA might keep KML on the bench as the 6th man again, to bring that spark off the bench (like what RM is doing over at CTSun), just a thought....

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
What I think is much more interesting than this fairly, um, predictable exchange, is the question about how long the starters will stay in, and the mixing and matching that Geno will do with his pretty amazing fire-power. It is going to depend on how they practice, who we are playing, where we are playing, and any number of other things. Barring injuries, it is going to be a deliciously interesting feast of a year. I am looking forward with even more than the usual delight!!

Reaction Score
GA might keep KML on the bench as the 6th man again, to bring that spark off the bench (like what RM is doing over at CTSun), just a thought....

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What I think is much more interesting than this fairly, um, predictable exchange, is the question about how long the starters will stay in, and the mixing and matching that Geno will do with his pretty amazing fire-power. It is going to depend on how they practice, who we are playing, where we are playing, and any number of other things. Barring injuries, it is going to be a deliciously interesting feast of a year. I am looking forward with even more than the usual delight!!

Great point, semper. Geno will make changes fast and furious. I would bet we will see 7 or 8 different groups of players on the floor during the course of a game.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

You probably missed the thread where Olde Coach essentially made this same statement. I'll pose this in the form of a quiz. A former squad had 10 eventual WNBA players/draftees, 5 Olympians, and 2 greatest players in the world at their positions. At least two out of the threesome Doty, Buck and Banks will have to far surpass expectations for that feat to be duplicated, and that's assuming that everyone else will deliver on expectations by the end of their careers. Can you name the year of that other squad?

Hint: They did not win the championship that year, though the first six games of that season featured what some have claimed was the best college basketball they've witnessed.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I am guessing it was the 1999-2000 team. The book written about them is so great, I wish the author would do another one with this year's UConn team.

Reaction Score
I know I haven't posted here often in a long time, but I believe hell has frozen over...I agree with doggydaddy! I think the starting line-up all season barring injury will be Caroline, Bria, KML, Faris and Stef. He will tinker with in game lineups depending on matchups. And during crunch time...I think we will probably see Stewart on the floor. The rest of our team has too much talent and experience to not be on the floor at the end of the game. Anyone who thinks Kelly Faris won't be playing the last minutes of close games is crazy...she almost singlehandedly won a game in the FF last year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We may not have a sixth woman, we may have a second wave. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01