UConn's New AD | The Boneyard

UConn's New AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well I want to say "GREAT", but I have no idea where he came from or what his credentials are. Hopefully he can keep up the great work that Warde did and continue to move us forward! Welcome David!

Reaction Score
Mark Blaudschun first reported that UConn's search for a new athletic director has come to an end with the hiring of David Benedict, former Chief Operating Officer—a newly-created position—for the Auburn athletic department. Multiple Connecticut beat writers have confirmed the news as well.

According to Auburn's athletic website, Benedict's role was to oversee "all day-to-day operations of the department." In his time there, he directed a feasibility study for enhancements to the football stadium, led efforts for a five-year departmental strategic plan as well as the "Master Facility Plan," and played a key role in the budgeting process. He was hired in February 2014.

Before Auburn, Benedict spent two years at the University of Minnesota as deputy athletic director. In that role, he led the sport supervision and student-athlete welfare divisions. He also created the framework for the most successful fundraising campaign in school history. He was part of the committees for men's basketball head coaching searches while at both Auburn, where they hired Bruce Pearl, and Minnesota, who hired Richard Pitino.

MORE...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'll give anyone one guess what his top priority is -- and it ain't replacing bench seats with chairbacks in Gampel.;)

Reaction Score
Mark Blaudschun first reported that UConn's search for a new athletic director has come to an end with the hiring of David Benedict, former Chief Operating Officer—a newly-created position—for the Auburn athletic department. Multiple Connecticut beat writers have confirmed the news as well.

According to Auburn's athletic website, Benedict's role was to oversee "all day-to-day operations of the department." In his time there, he directed a feasibility study for enhancements to the football stadium, led efforts for a five-year departmental strategic plan as well as the "Master Facility Plan," and played a key role in the budgeting process. He was hired in February 2014.

Before Auburn, Benedict spent two years at the University of Minnesota as deputy athletic director. In that role, he led the sport supervision and student-athlete welfare divisions. He also created the framework for the most successful fundraising campaign in school history. He was part of the committees for men's basketball head coaching searches while at both Auburn, where they hired Bruce Pearl, and Minnesota, who hired Richard Pitino.

MORE...
Not sure those hires give me warm fuzzier. We'll see.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting - they certainly jumped quickly for this guy which suggests he pretty much blew them away in the interviews.
I am not sure anybody got 'warm fuzzies' when Ward was hired either - ADs do not generally generate that kind of publicity - they are more likely to generate notoriety when they screw up, and I think Ward was sort of exceptional in that he generated so much speculation for the last few years as to when and where he would jump. They really are not high profile normally unless they are at a key school in a P5 (e.g. TX) or are doing something noteworthy (blackballing some school!)

Reaction Score
Though I get that his main agenda would be football - it is strategic in that w/o football the chances of conference realignment and getting into one where there is actual competition for all athletics is nill. I'll reserve my cynicism until he's been on the job for more than a few hours.

Reaction Score
Though I get that his main agenda would be football - it is strategic in that w/o football the chances of conference realignment and getting into one where there is actual competition for all athletics is nill. I'll reserve my cynicism until he's been on the job for more than a few hours.
Well, it appears he's off to a good start. I guess he heard you.

STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- UConn's new athletic director says he considers the Huskies' caliber of play at the level of a Power Five school.

Dave Benedict, who has been serving as chief operating office at Auburn, was introduced Tuesday as the 12th athletic director at Connecticut.

He says he understands the perception of the school's conference affiliation is the biggest challenge for the athletic department. The school competes in the American Athletic Conference for national championships against leagues that generate more revenue.

Benedict says his job will be to maximize the resources of the school and find ways to grow its income. He says the conference is just one piece of that puzzle.

Benedict will earn $450,000 a year at UConn, with the chance for $100,000 annually in bonuses. He would also get another $250,000 if he stays five years.

MORE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#