UConn's Gampel Pavilion could see $100 million renovation project under new proposal (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

UConn's Gampel Pavilion could see $100 million renovation project under new proposal (Mike Anthony)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really good article that talks about a lot more than just the Gampel renovation including Dan Hurley's eventual admission to the Hall of Fame, and the "unique" circular relationship between the university, the state, the athletic department, and the XL center.

It seems like the hundred million dollar renovation assistance is the quid pro quo for our continuing to play our games at the XL center. I think it's long overdue that the university has called that out as being a burden a drain on us financially, and has raised the prospect of discontinuing it to get the state to move on supporting the Gampel renovations. Still, I'd love to see the state directly support our lease cost so that playing in the XL center isn't more expensive to the university than playing at Gampel and it would be nice if we got to participate in parking and concession revenue. Our current situation is kind of a double whammy in that we pay to rent the XL but don't get to share in these other revenue items.

From what's discussed in the article it appears that they've dropped the outside concourse and expanded concessions in bathroom parts of the project. It could be that they're just not discussed in the article.

Overall though, modernizing Gampel Is a good thing and I love how the university is leveraging our current success.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Behind a paywall
IMG_2323.jpeg

Or just hit show reader if you are using an iPhone.

Reaction Score
I was in school when it first opened, seeing first game versus St Johns, and first concert there (Midnight Oil, who said 'now we know what its like playing inside of a golfball")

I remember the first winter when large sheets of ice would fall off roof and dangerously come to ground where people would be waiting for tickets- before they built roof overhang around outside of the building. that was the era of bricks falling from the babbige library too, so there was a big plastic bag on it lol. Now I barely recognize the campus

Reaction Score
I think the article makes it very clear who is (or should be) paying for this. DB points to all the revenue the university misses out on by playing in Hartford. Lamont’s “I love winners” comment after the title with the Hurley to UK rumors.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hartford would probably get a full season if there's a thorough, mindful Gampel renovation at a time when UConn hoops' stock is at an all time high
Good

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I would love to see an MSG-style ceiling and theatre lighting. Perfect in Gampel's round arena.

Knicks fan here- absolutely do NOT turn the lights off at Gampel. It looks like crap.

College is about the atmosphere. Lights on.

Reaction Score
Knicks fan here- absolutely do NOT turn the lights off at Gampel. It looks like crap.

College is about the atmosphere. Lights on.
You bring up a good point.

Reaction Score
They just got some approval for spending more on the XL Center. My own feeling is I would rather see the money spent on facilities in Storrs, improvements to Gampel and maybe an on-campus football stadium.
I would love it but on-campus football is whole other beast. Very tall task.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom