Uconn, WV, Rutgers to big 12? | The Boneyard

Uconn, WV, Rutgers to big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the Big 10 is a definite no for Uconn, and the ACC in unlikely. Why not push for the Big 12?
It must be on the table.

Reaction Score
Why leave one unstable conference where we are one of the big fish for another unstable conference where we aren't?

Adding big east leftovers doesn't resolve the tenuous relationship between OU/Tex and the rest of the conference. None of them trust eachother either.

And why wouldn't they go for Cincy/Ville over UConn? The big 12 isn't getting the northeast market.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be mean, I'm sure you're a nice lad.

But people who use their own ideas rather than news links to come up with misleading thread titles need to be suspended for 24 hours IMO. Especially in chaotic times like this when news is flying everywhere.

Reaction Score
Jesus Harold Christ on rubber crutches.

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Jesus Harold Christ on rubber crutches.

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"...And now, the airing of the grievances. I gotta lotta problems with this conference!!"

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
"...And now, the airing of the grievances. I gotta lotta problems with this conference!!"

Marinatto, my son tells me you're conference stinks!

Reaction Score
Marinatto, my son tells me you're conference stinks!
I'm not trying to be mean, I'm sure you're a nice lad.

But people who use their own ideas rather than news links to come up with misleading thread titles need to be suspended for 24 hours IMO. Especially in chaotic times like this when news is flying everywhere.
Sorry, I did add "?", meaning, what do you think?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Sorry, I did add "?", meaning, what do you think?
Every thread has a ? or a "so and so reports," and they all have a source regardless. The title of this should be "What do you think about...etc."

Reaction Score
Every thread has a ? or a "so and so reports," and they all have a source regardless. The title of this should be "What do you think about...etc."
Bingo.
It's all about how you word your new thread. I opened the thread thinking there was a new rumor about us landing in the Big 12 and it's just the random thought of a poster after smoking a big bowl.

Anyway, carry on.

Reaction Score
the big 12 is currently looking at BYU, WV, and Louisville for expansion currently. id like to see UConn over L'ville but you i think you guys would fit better into the ACC

Reaction Score
Sorry for bringing back an old thread looked for the most relevant.

Most of you are saying that UConn has no chance for the Big 10 but if you do a quick google search (I was bored) It seems that UConn was being seriously considered last year for the big 10.

Add in a NC for basketball and football going to a bcs game not to mention soccer and baseball doing well, I would be hard pressed to see that it has changed at all.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The pont is the BiG made some decisions last year after good inquiry and due diligence.

It's like Ent Moot for the BiG to make changes. That's why they call it the Rust Belt.

It's better to burn out than to turn to Rust....Hey Hey My My

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The pont is the BiG made some decisions last year after good inquiry and due diligence.

It's like Ent Moot for the BiG to make changes. That's why they call it the Rust Belt.

I "liked" your post for Entmoot reference.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I'd be guarantee that you're not the first person to reference Tolkien and Neil Young in the same internet post... but I bet you are on this board. ;)

Reaction Score
i hate to say it but 90% of the rumors and what-not with sources are no more credible than NHRich's musings. why be such a stickler over titling

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
i hate to say it but 90% of the rumors and what-not with sources are no more credible than NHRich's musings. why be such a stickler over titling
For all of us old dudes who have one foot in the grave anything that reduces agida would be welcomed.

Reaction Score
AAU membership is a huge roadblock for UConn to Big 10. Some will say Nebraska is not in the AAU and they are in the Big 10, but they were in the AAU when the Big 10 accepted them and, before Nebraska, no school had been EVER voted out of the AAU, so Big 10 had no reason to think Nebraska would or could be voted out. The reasons Nebraska got voted out were largely technical, so I can see them returning to the AAU in the future.

Reaction Score
UCONN is moving toward AAU status and is very close if they wish to get it.

Reaction Score
AAU membership is a huge roadblock for UConn to Big 10. Some will say Nebraska is not in the AAU and they are in the Big 10, but they were in the AAU when the Big 10 accepted them and, before Nebraska, no school had been EVER voted out of the AAU, so Big 10 had no reason to think Nebraska would or could be voted out. The reasons Nebraska got voted out were largely technical, so I can see them returning to the AAU in the future.

Here are some facts:

1. The head of the CIC and former President of Wisconsin was quoted as saying she'd be lying if the AAU or academics were a consideration when Nebraska was added.
2. The committee that ousted Nebraska was headed by a Big10 president and other Big10 presidents provided the crucial votes to oust them.
3. The committee was scheduled to vote on Nebraska's ouster PRIOR to Nebraska joining the Big10, but the vote was delayed (even the Nebraska President thinks this was done because the committee as was constituted a year ago did not have the votes to oust Nebraska). So, Big10 presidents delayed the vote until the NEW committee met 9 months later with enough NEW votes to oust them.
4. Nebraska's reasons for being ousted were not technical at all. Their research funding is far behind a good number of universities. And even if you count the agricultural research grants (which you shouldn't, because those are political pork, not reviewed) they are still very very far behind.
5. Notre Dame is not AAU and the Big10 has invited them in.
6. I'm sure UConn is trying to get in, but since research grants are way down in the current economic climate, you can't expect any new members whatsoever. The AAU is not an academic organization. It's a lobbying group that tries to push for an increase in gov't research funding.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Been reading on the other teams message boards that it looks like BYU will turn down the BigXII offer and that Louisville may be their 10th member (mentions of Cincy and WV as 11 and 12). Hopefully it's all just message board chatter, because if not, we're screwed.

Reaction Score
I think the Big 10 is a definite no for Uconn, and the ACC in unlikely. Why not push for the Big 12?
It must be on the table.
Everything is probably on the table. Instability and the changing scene dictate that no option be eliminated at this point. What happens if Uconn doesn't go to the ACC? Restructuring the existing BE ,Big 10. Pac12, and the SEC do not appear to be options.
If we don't get into the ACC, the Big 12 has to be a possibilty even though it is not desirable from a geographic standpoint.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain what AAU status is and how to get it? Every time I see it mentioned I just keep thinking back to the days of playing AAU baseball.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain what AAU status is and how to get it? Every time I see it mentioned I just keep thinking back to the days of playing AAU baseball.

I did explain it above. The AAU is not an academic group, it's not based on academics. It's a lobbying organization. They are lawyers HQ'd in DC. They encourage congress to set aside money for research. How do you get in? By having a history of obtaining research grants, steady growth. Which is very hard to do in an environment in which there's less money to go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SemogNayr

Top Bottom