UConn vs Villanova | The Boneyard

UConn vs Villanova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More of the same so far. Top of the 4th 1st and 3rd 1 out and can't score then top of the 5th bases loaded and 1 out and Ferriter grounds into a DP. Ferriter used to be hard to double up with his speed but seems like he has grounded into several this year.
Bottom of the 5th still scoreless.

Reaction Score
Top of the 6th, LJ leads off with single then steals 2nd. On 2nd with no one out. I like the fact that Penders let him steal before immediately dropping down a sac bunt because let's be honest a guy on 2nd and one out for this team is not bringing in any runs right now. However, Siena pops up and leaves Mazzilli on 2nd where he remains as he get's stranded there. Why did Siena not bunt him at that point down to 3rd and have one out. No guy right now on this team should be void of bunting as much as they are struggling. Melley then lined out to LF which may have brought in the run. Got to feel for our pitchers right now. Cross is pitching a gem and we have no offense to show for it and can't even seem to manufacture a run with basic fundamentals.

Reaction Score
Top of the 6th, LJ leads off with single then steals 2nd. On 2nd with no one out. I like the fact that Penders let him steal before immediately dropping down a sac bunt because let's be honest a guy on 2nd and one out for this team is not bringing in any runs right now. However, Siena pops up and leaves Mazzilli on 2nd where he remains as he get's stranded there. Why did Siena not bunt him at that point down to 3rd and have one out. No guy right now on this team should be void of bunting as much as they are struggling. Melley then lined out to LF which may have brought in the run. Got to feel for our pitchers right now. Cross is pitching a gem and we have no offense to show for it and can't even seem to manufacture a run with basic fundamentals.

Man on second - no outs - I guess I get your point but Siena is batting over .340...

Reaction Score
Man on second - no outs - I guess I get your point but Siena is batting over .340...
At this point as bad as they are struggling no one should be immune from bunting. However, in the top of the 8th we finally use our strength speed to produce some runs. Ferriter with 1 out gets a single, steals second, they intentionally walk Maz, then he does a double steal to have 2nd and 3rd one out. Siena hits a grounder that the infielder throws away trying to cut down the run at the plate and 2 runs score. Runs without a hit. Then Yavorone comes up with big hit to make it 3-0. Lots of stealing in this inning is making things happen. On the positive side, Ferriter now has 4 hits in his last 2 games and Mazzilli is 3 for 3 on the day. Maybe their coming out of it. Can only hope.

Reaction Score
At this point as bad as they are struggling no one should be immune from bunting. However, in the top of the 8th we finally use our strength speed to produce some runs. Ferriter with 1 out gets a single, steals second, they intentionally walk Maz, then he does a double steal to have 2nd and 3rd one out. Siena hits a grounder that the infielder throws away trying to cut down the run at the plate and 2 runs score. Runs without a hit. Then Yavorone comes up with big hit to make it 3-0. Lots of stealing in this inning is making things happen. On the positive side, Ferriter now has 4 hits in his last 2 games and Mazzilli is 3 for 3 on the day. Maybe their coming out of it. Can only hope.

Ha - I was coming here to post this... What goes around comes around.

JonesCcj 5:58pm via Twitter for Android
Couple steals for Uconn puts runners at 2nd and 3rd. Runs come in on throwing error from shortstop Lowe. 2-0 Huskies top 8

Agree - I don't think anyone should be immune from bunting. I think there are some that should be @ the front of the line and other @ the end of the line.

Reaction Score
Ha - I was coming here to post this... What goes around comes around.

JonesCcj 5:58pm via Twitter for Android
Couple steals for Uconn puts runners at 2nd and 3rd. Runs come in on throwing error from shortstop Lowe. 2-0 Huskies top 8

Agree - I don't think anyone should be immune from bunting. I think there are some that should be @ the front of the line and other @ the end of the line.
I certainly agree with that. However, right now I am a bigger fan of bunting only when there's a situation of a guy on 2nd and no outs versus a guy on first with no outs. A guy on third with one out can score without a hit. I know why they would try to sac a guy over to 2nd but right now the hits aren't coming enough to sacrifice the out in the situation. If the guy has speed I would rather have him try to steal second.

Reaction Score
Bottom of the 9th 4-0 UConn. Mahoney gets the first guy out and for some reason Penders takes him out and brings in Moore. Moore has since walked 3 straight guys to load them with one out. Moore's control has really been an issue.

Reaction Score
Moore walks the next guy on 4 pitches to force in a run. 4-1 still 2 out. He has 4 walks in the inning.

Reaction Score
Tabakman coming in for Moore. Does anyone know why we are using Tabakman exclusively out of the bullpen this year. I can understand why they are doing it for Butler since he is a Sr. and maybe makes it at the next level as a reliever, but Tabakman I would think would be one of our starters next year so why not use him as a starter during mid week games? I would think if we did maybe we don't slip up like we did against Yale or BC. I do get trying to give the young pitchers some action but since he will be back next year and probably one of our weekend starters possibly not sure why he's not being used in that role.

Reaction Score
Tabakman just walked the next batter. 4-2. 5 walks now in the inning.

Reaction Score
Fly out to end the game 4-3. Wow, almost a complete epic choke job. 4-0 lead and you walk 5 guys and hit a batter to score 3 runs. Penders maybe out thought himself there a little and should have just stuck with Mahoney.
Moore has a great ERA but his control is really something to be concerned about.

Reaction Score
Phew... Nothing's easy this year :confused:

Game Notes:- Billy Ferriter’s 20th steal of the season made him the first player in program history to record 20 or more in three different seasons.
- Ferriter is hitting .364 (8-for-22) in his last five games.
- LJ Mazzilli collected three hits for the second time this year as he passed George Springer (242) for third all-time in career hits.
- Mazzilli’s ninth-inning double was his first since March 9 at Sam Houston State.
- Mazzilli also recorded two steals in a game for the fourth time in his career.
- UConn has started at least four freshmen in 20 games this season.
- The Huskies lead in the all-time series is now 34-24; having won 14 of the last 16 match-ups.
- UConn is 9-2 in Cross’ 11 career starts.

Reaction Score
Tabakman coming in for Moore. Does anyone know why we are using Tabakman exclusively out of the bullpen this year. I can understand why they are doing it for Butler since he is a Sr. and maybe makes it at the next level as a reliever, but Tabakman I would think would be one of our starters next year so why not use him as a starter during mid week games? I would think if we did maybe we don't slip up like we did against Yale or BC. I do get trying to give the young pitchers some action but since he will be back next year and probably one of our weekend starters possibly not sure why he's not being used in that role.

I can certainly understand using both Tabakman and Butler out of the pen this year. It seems to me that a deep bullpen is quite important in the college game, and that using both of them in relief means that they pitch the conference weekend series games. Of course, it also helps that you never quite know what you are going to get out of Feehan and Moore when they come in. At any rate, if Tabakman and Butler were not coming out of the pen, then Mahoney, Jolin, Feehan and Moore would really likely be overworked, since Penders is not going to stick an unproven freshmen on the mound into almost any game that is not a blowout.

Reaction Score

Actually, from the way Tabakman has been used this year, I would not be surprised if he becomes the closer next season.

Reaction Score
UConn leads Saturday game 2-1 after 4 innings. Marzi sounds like he is doing fine with his start, with 9 strike outs so far.

Reaction Score
Lead off double by Ferriter to start the 6th, good sign as he has another 2 hit game. Looks like he may be coming out of slump. Then Mazzilli and Siena strike out. Thought Mazzilli might be breaking out of it with a 4 hit game yesterday but is 0-3 with 2 strike outs. Leave Ferriter stranded at 3rd. 2-1 UConn bottom of 6th.

Reaction Score
Tabakman is coming in to pitch the bottom of the 9th instead of Moore, in a save situation.

Reaction Score
4-1 win for Huskies, Tabakman with the save. Excellent pitching once again, offense continues to be very hit or miss with its production.

Reaction Score
Game Notes:- Billy Ferriter is hitting .385 (10-for-26) in his last seven games.
- Anthony Marzi struck out a career-high 12 and became the second Husky to reach double figures this season.
- UConn has used 21 starting lineups with at least four freshmen.
- The Huskies are 9-1 when playing on Saturdays this season.
- UConn leads the all-time series with Villanova, 35-24.

Reaction Score
Game Notes:- Billy Ferriter is hitting .385 (10-for-26) in his last seven games.
- Anthony Marzi struck out a career-high 12 and became the second Husky to reach double figures this season.
- UConn has used 21 starting lineups with at least four freshmen.
- The Huskies are 9-1 when playing on Saturdays this season.
- UConn leads the all-time series with Villanova, 35-24.

Good to see Ferriter started getting hot while I was gone. A few other hitters need to do the same.

Reaction Score
Third game vs. Villanova about to start. If you're inclined like me to listen to the games on WHUS, they are now in the middle of their fund raising marathon. Not a bad idea to donate, as I see it as encouragement to carry these sporting events.

Reaction Score
Third game vs. Villanova about to start. If you're inclined like me to listen to the games on WHUS, they are now in the middle of their fund raising marathon. Not a bad idea to donate, as I see it as encouragement to carry these sporting events.

Done - Thanks for pointing that out... out of habit just clicked link from my history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom