UConn vs. Syracuse | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Alright, it's almost Monday now, so the booze has worn off and I'm focusing on the next game (let's hope everyone on the team and coaching staff is as well). I hate Syracuse. I really friggin' hate them. My brother went there, and he is friggin' intolerable when Syracuse wins. Luckily for me, that hasn't been that often, and UConn has certainly had their number for quite some time.

Syracuse looks like they pass about 15% more than they run, and they have a more than competent QB in Nassib, and they have some pretty good receivers like Sales and Lemon (#1 pass offense in the BE). This is the part that scares me a little, although we are the #1 pass defense in the BE, so something has to give. Their running game averages a little over 4 yards per carry between Smith and Gulley. I expect that number will drop some against our D, especially since their OLine is a little undersized at a 289 lb. average.

Their DLine is also slightly undersized (thank God!) at around 280 lbs for the DTs and 250 lbs for the DEs. Unfortunately for us, they are the #2 pass defense in the BE, so we might be forced to get it done on the ground. But I'm hoping this is the game where the run game starts back up again.

I don't ask for much (other than undefeated seasons), but please please please get this win for me, dogs!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Our defense is very good...many of the points given up have been gifts from our offensive ineptitude.

We out gained and out 1st downed Rutgirls by nearly 2 to 1...but 4 fumbles and a block FG returned for TD by Rutgirls killed us.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Our defense is very good...many of the points given up have been gifts from our offensive ineptitude.

We out gained and out 1st downed Rutgirls by nearly 2 to 1...but 4 fumbles and a block FG returned for TD by Rutgirls killed us.

It looks like the strength of the defense is the back 7 and not the front four. Am I right about that? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to guage whether or not Chandler will have time in the pocket, as well as whether or not teams have been able to establish the run against you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Syracuse is lousy - they're just bad.

Fortunately for them, so are we. And while they're bad, they're not inept on offense and that'll be the difference - I think this is the game where the weight of this coaching staff's incompetence finally overcomes the defense's ability to keep UConn in the game.

Honestly, anyone who shows up for that game Friday should be drug tested. Or maybe just shot on the off chance that they might actually be zombies.

Reaction Score
It looks like the strength of the defense is the back 7 and not the front four. Am I right about that? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to guage whether or not Chandler will have time in the pocket, as well as whether or not teams have been able to establish the run against you.

Dan - at one point in the game saturday, Temple rushed two defenders, and managed to get to our QB, with the ball still in his hands, behind the LOS. I'm really not all that concerned at all about what Syracuse is going to do, what their strengths are. I'm more concerned with our ability to get some basic things done on offense. regardless of who we're playing.

Reaction Score
You know, it's games like this, that I will miss the most with the new configuration of the league, until time can pass, and new relationships are built. We've got two programs struggling here in UConn and Syracuse, lots of history between the schools, and there are plenty of people, that are still going to be interested, to see what happens Friday night. Like a bad car wreck, no matter how much we may simply want to turn away, rather than be disgusted, we'll all turn our heads, and look anyway.

Reaction Score
I was going to drive up on Friday to catch the game, but after this last game, I think I will save the gas and toll money and just watch the game from the comfort of my living room.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Is this dumpster fire on ESPN or ESPN2? If so, we will get the sideline reporter we deserve, Jemelle Hill.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Syracuse is lousy - they're just bad.

Fortunately for them, so are we. And while they're bad, they're not inept on offense and that'll be the difference - I think this is the game where the weight of this coaching staff's incompetence finally overcomes the defense's ability to keep UConn in the game.

Honestly, anyone who shows up for that game Friday should be drug tested. Or maybe just shot on the off chance that they might actually be zombies.

Well, they already tried stabbings on the first night for basketball. Shootings won't be far behind.

Reaction Score
I'd usually be pretty excited about this game since half my extended family went to Syracuse and the other half to UConn. Right about now however, I am pretty much ambivalent about the whole thing. I don't expect much out of the Huskies unfortunately and would think Syracuse has enough on offense to make us play from behind.

Reaction Score
Well, they already tried stabbings on the first night for basketball. Shootings won't be far behind.

Can't believe a UConn Fan went there? Really poor form...IMHO joke or not.

As for our defense...our Front Four is good...a tad undersized but Sharpe earned a national weekly award and Bromley is a beast.

The game is on ESPN...if any of you are coming up...contact me via PM if you would like to grab a beer at our tailgate before kickoff.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Can't believe a UConn Fan went there? Really poor form.

That's true. Chin, most people at UConn don't want to bring up the memory of "stabbings"...

Reaction Score
That's true. Chin, most people at UConn don't want to bring up the memory of "stabbings"...

BTW, our University was naive to think having a free Rap concert at Midnight Madness was going to end well. The guy who got stabbed was a 25 year old ex-con. The crowd was not your typical mix for a Cuse basketball game. I hope next year they charge (for charity) and cut out the live Rap Act.

Reaction Score
As I stated in a earlier post. Syracuse is stout against the run. We will need the defense to force turnovers to win this one. Once upon a time we also had a great return game too, not sure where the hell that's gone, but it would sure go a long way to getting some Ws.

Reaction Score
Doug Marrone has literally invented every single possible way to lose a football game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is about as "must win" as a game can get for a coach. They all become must wins when you lose to Western Michigan and Temple.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This is about as "must win" as a game can get for a coach. They all become must wins when you lose to Western Michigan and Temple.

I think a win there would cure some of our ailments (clearly not all, but some). A win on the road against a tri-state rival (and recruiting rival) where we are 4 point underdogs while getting us back to .500 and two wins away from a bowl game with four games to go; that would make the situation look much less bleak than it looks now. It might not make it look good or pretty, but it would make it look less bleak...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think a win there would cure some of our ailments (clearly not all, but some). A win on the road against a tri-state rival (and recruiting rival) where we are 4 point underdogs while getting us back to .500 and two wins away from a bowl game with four games to go; that would make the situation look much less bleak than it looks now. It might not make it look good or pretty, but it would make it look less bleak...

This is also the worst team left on the schedule. If UConn can't beat Syracuse, who can UConn beat?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This is also the worst team left on the schedule. If UConn can't beat Syracuse, who can UConn beat?

I don't think that Syracuse is the worst team on the schedule (I'm assuming you mean Big East schedule, since nobody is worse than UMass). I think that Temple has less talent on the field than Syracuse, and depending on which Pitt team you play, they certainly have the ability to be MUCH worse (Syracuse has already beaten them, and let's not forget Youngstown State)...

EDIT: I just realized that you said "left on the schedule", in which case take out Temple, but still leave Pitt.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Doug Marrone has literally invented every single possible way to lose a football game.
Nope, Delone uses those plays to wallpaper the closet. He must have left them in one of the offices, maybe Robinson's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom