Men - UConn vs. Northeastern Huskies (Wednesday 3/27/24 @3:05p at Elliot Ballpark) Game on UConn+/Fox Sports Radio FM97.9 & AM1300 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men UConn vs. Northeastern Huskies (Wednesday 3/27/24 @3:05p at Elliot Ballpark) Game on UConn+/Fox Sports Radio FM97.9 & AM1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom 8th, UConn offense goes down in order with 3 strikeouts. 7-4 Northeastern.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, Coe again retires the side in order. 7-4 Northeastern.

Reaction Score
Bottom 9th, with 1 out, Studley gets on base with a single, and Broadhurst is hit by a pitch. Shpur with a 2 out RBI double drives in 2 runs, 7-6 Northeastern. Pitching change.

A wild pitch moves Shpur to 3B.

That is it for this UConn rally. Northeastern with a 7-6 victory.

Reaction Score
Bottom 9th, with 1 out, Studley gets on base with a single, and Broadhurst is hit by a pitch. Shpur with a 2 out RBI double drives in 2 runs, 7-6 Northeastern. Pitching change.

Reaction Score
I held off on saying it for a few weeks but it's safe to say now, this team is not good

Reaction Score
Good
1) They showed some fight in the 9th (hadn't up until that point). Just can't get that big hit to change things.
2) Coe threw 4 scoreless innings. Seems it's good - bad - good - bad with him right now. This outing was vintage Coe.
3) 6 walks
4) Studley had 3 hits but he's not driving the ball

Bad
1) Van Emon hit 3 guys and walked 2 and it hurt him. 1st inning no hits and NE scores 2. Ideally he's a midweek starter and not a Friday starter but staff not in that type of shape at present.
2) If Daniels isn't healthy why play him? Jonesy also drip fed that this hip goes back to last year. So not sure what's going on there. Might be trying to nurse his way through it....risky.
3) Ellisen again gives up a big hit that allows them to lose contact (see also Cal, Aub and UCSB-walks). Was decent against UCB but that needs to be the norm not the exception. Has to execute or can't use him in these situations.
4) Surprised he let Hyde hit in the 9th with Malcom (doghouse?), Garbo, etc. on the bench to pinch hit. I would have pinch hit.
5) 2-5 in the lineup was 0-16 with 8Ks. Still too many low quality ABs that aren't competitive.

I like NE's offense and they have to feel pretty good being 18-6 with Sirota and Maldonado hitting .280/.180 respectively. Will come down to pitching for them as it always does (comparable to Cal). But their lineup is nice and they will score with that remaining schedule. Fun team to watch.

Reaction Score
Well this weekend undoubtedly brings a series that they aren’t gonna lose. Not once

Reaction Score
Go back and watch the 6th inning at bats for UConn. Its sums everything up about their offense right now. Studley leads off and gets break on a 2 strike pitch that he should have been punched out. Knowing he should protect as he just got a gift, he stares at strike 3 right down the middle. Free swinging Morton then comes up and looks at strike one right down the middle, then swings at a pitch a foot off the plate for strike 2 and then in the hole hits a lazy fly ball to left. Delena repeat first 2 pitches as Morton and then strikes out on pitch 3. They are lost at the plate and Jonsey even commented as such. Can't overcome mistakes from the pitching staff with this offense.

Reaction Score
Go back and watch the 6th inning at bats for UConn. Its sums everything up about their offense right now. Studley leads off and gets break on a 2 strike pitch that he should have been punched out. Knowing he should protect as he just got a gift, he stares at strike 3 right down the middle. Free swinging Morton then comes up and looks at strike one right down the middle, then swings at a pitch a foot off the plate for strike 2 and then in the hole hits a lazy fly ball to left. Delena repeat first 2 pitches as Morton and then strikes out on pitch 3. They are lost at the plate and Jonsey even commented as such. Can't overcome mistakes from the pitching staff with this offense.
Agree 100% on Dalena. Took pitches for strikes that he should be jumping all over then swings at garbage. That’s all about what approach you want take at the plate. Not good.

Reaction Score
4) Surprised he let Hyde hit in the 9th with Malcom (doghouse?), Garbo, etc. on the bench to pinch hit. I would have pinch hit.

I think Chris Jones said something about Garbowski being hit by a ball while catching the game yesterday, and that was why he didn't play today.

Reaction Score
I think Chris Jones said something about Garbowski being hit by a ball while catching the game yesterday, and that was why he didn't play today.
Yes, you're correct he did say that. I just wouldn't let Hyde hit there. Not a huge one but occurred to me during the game. Malcom can give you that one swing that changes the game.

Reaction Score
Penders deservedly gets wide berth given his long term success at the helm. This team, however, is in need of a radical make over!
0-3 against other New England teams is unacceptable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom