UConn-Villanova postgame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-Villanova postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Paige's efficiency numbers are quite impressive. It appears when she "shows up" the refs like on her traveling call, they retaliate by calling ticky-tack or phantom fouls against her. My advice to her is to stop the moaning and groaning every time she gets call and just let your game do the talking. Nika had a couple of timely shots, but she is throwing some horrible passes for a senior with her experience.
Hurley used to hurt the men with his vociferous complaints. His change in behavior made a huge difference in the fouls called against UConn.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Ugly game but i guess it is better to win an ugly game than lose a beautiful one :)
*The refs were terrible for both teams. Paige's 4th foul is a joke of a call. if you call that a foul, you had to call what Dalce did a foul as well.
*This was a game that as everyone aside than Paige struggled to score, i was screaming at the TV whenever someone aside then Paige shot the ball :)
*Paige: An amazing player and she's got the best post moves on the team. When she was sitting on the bench the team looked totally disoriented. We won because we have Paige, and they didn't.
*AE: very strange game. Started so well and then just couldn't hit layups...i assume she just got tired. She does take a lot of abuse under the basket. Still had a double double which became the norm with her.
*Ash: what happened to her 3-point shooting ability? with that said, her 3 in the 4th quarter was huge.
*KK: great on defense but what is up with missing under the basket again and again.
*Nika: when she got injured it felt like the collective heart of UConn Nation stopped for a moment. If was great to have her back in the game and those baskets in the 4th quarter were critical.
*Ice: very few minutes and i assume it was because of the style of play by Vilanova which she is a bit slow for. Did ok in the few minutes she had aside than that shot from the foul line which didn't hit anything.
*Q: got so much potential, needs to get much stronger in the off season. I'm happy that she stopped just hoisting 3 pointers but trying to have a more varied type of game.
*when was the last game that UConn had more turnovers than assists? way too many turnovers and a lot of them were a real head scratcher as in what was she thinking...
*The defense on Olsen was remarkable. in both games this season UConn was able to contain her and while in the first game she had 15, in this game only 6.
*While UConn's offense was not good, the effort on defense was awe inspiring.
*Congratulations for this gritty team for winning the Big East regular season championship!

Reaction Score
My guess is the team is just board and struggling to get through February and on to the conference tournament and March madness. These conference scrimmages must get tiresome.

Reaction Score
Paige's fouls, 3rd and 4th, were because her hands were moving around at chest height making it look like she was pushing off. The 3rd was clearer than the fourth. But why those two moments and not many, many other similar ones?

Reaction Score
Paige had a good game. 31 pts on 11-15 shooting. This is what so-called physical games look like. If Ash had a better shooting night, Villanova couldn’t have played that way. But this is what was possible.

Nika had a couple of clutch baskets in the 4th to hold off the last Villanova run and then Paige slammed the door.

And we played ferocious defense. Ice didn’t play much which was noticeable. No idea why.
Maybe Geno is sending her a big message!! I realize that she’s trying to gain some stamina after not playing at all last year, but she needs to become a consistent contributor to the team. If she’s able to make 3-4 baskets every game, defend, and stay out of foul trouble, then UConn would become a much better team. I’m still hoping for an improvement from her.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
21 is the magic number...

UConn 81 - Villanova 60 (first game) - MOV = 21
UConn 67 - Villanova 46 (second game) - MOV = 21

I think the committee just got its answer as to who will be the BE Player of the Year. With Paige going into tonight's game averaging 20.8 points and Lucy going in averaging 23.6 some pundits were thinking that despite how talented Paige is, despite how successful UConn has been even with 5 quality players in the IR list, despite all of it some of these folks we thinking that Lucy Olsen might deserve Player of the Year. Don't get me wrong, Lucy has had a great season but, when it comes to Paige Bueckers...she is the best and then there is the rest. Paige, even with her being in foul trouble and having to sit out for half of the third quarter, still managed to get 31 points and 5 rebounds. Paige was so mesmerizing that I didn't realize that she got zero assists. Holding Olsen to 6 points was a defensive masterpiece and it did not help Lucy's chances of winning the BE POY.

The two stats that jump out at me are as follows: 1. UConn - 40 rebounds, Villanova - 30 rebounds; 2. UConn - 18 foul shots; Villanova - 6 foul shots.

Aaliyah had yet another double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds...how's that for consistency? She was tied for game-best in steals with KK Arnold. They both managed to get 4 steals each.

While the rest of the team struggled offensively...Paige was a picture of efficiency...going 11-15 from the floor shooting 73 percent from the floor, 50 percent from three, and 100 percent from the line.

The only Achilles heel in UConn's offense is its poor 3-point shooting (26.7%).

Defensively this was a "thing of beauty". They held Olse to 6 points and Dalce to 2 points. It took Orihel having a career game to keep Villanova in the game. 15 points, 3-5 from three-point, and 5 rebounds. Kudos to Orihel. I also think that the return of Zanai Jones who scored 10 points gave Villanova a lift. But, at the end of the day, it was another magical 21-point victory for UConn and UConn was able to hold Villanova 19 points below their average. Alas, and conversely it could be said that Villanova held UConn to 15 points below theirs.
Overall a win is a win... Even though there was a bit of a scare with regards to Nika no one got hurt.

Finally, I can only speculate how many points Paige would have had if those two "weak" (Cuomo's words, not mine) were called on her in the 3rd quarter.

Reaction Score
Haven’t seen the game. Need to have more than Paige and Edward’s in double figures. What’s going on with shade?
She, like Paige and KK, is in a shooting slump. However, the buckets she made tonight came at the right time. Every time!! And I‘m sure her baskets caused the Wildcats’ hearts to break a little more each time.

Reaction Score
. . . *Ash: what happened to her 3-point shooting ability? with that said, her 3 in the 4th quarter was huge. . . .
Her toe was on the line. It was only a two. She was 0 for 4 from 3 tonight.

Psychologically it was an important shot though.

adc

Reaction Score
UConn v Villanova ... A lot better game and outcome than what happened to the University of Texas playing at Oklahoma tonight.....!

Number 3 fallssssss........

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Ugly game but i guess it is better to win an ugly game than lose a beautiful one :)
*The refs were terrible for both teams. Paige's 4th foul is a joke of a call. if you call that a foul, you had to call what Dalce did a foul as well.
*This was a game that as everyone aside than Paige struggled to score, i was screaming at the TV whenever someone aside then Paige shot the ball :)
*Paige: An amazing player and she's got the best post moves on the team. When she was sitting on the bench the team looked totally disoriented. We won because we have Paige, and they didn't.
*AE: very strange game. Started so well and then just couldn't hit layups...i assume she just got tired. She does take a lot of abuse under the basket. Still had a double double which became the norm with her.
*Ash: what happened to her 3-point shooting ability? with that said, her 3 in the 4th quarter was huge.
*KK: great on defense but what is up with missing under the basket again and again.
*Nika: when she got injured it felt like the collective heart of UConn Nation stopped for a moment. If was great to have her back in the game and those baskets in the 4th quarter were critical.
*Ice: very few minutes and i assume it was because of the style of play by Vilanova which she is a bit slow for. Did ok in the few minutes she had aside than that shot from the foul line which didn't hit anything.
*Q: got so much potential, needs to get much stronger in the off season. I'm happy that she stopped just hoisting 3 pointers but trying to have a more varied type of game.
*when was the last game that UConn had more turnovers than assists? way too many turnovers and a lot of them were a real head scratcher as in what was she thinking...
*The defense on Olsen was remarkable. in both games this season UConn was able to contain her and while in the first game she had 15, in this game only 6.
*While UConn's offense was not good, the effort on defense was awe inspiring.
*Congratulations for this gritty team for winning the Big East regular season championship!

You are correct in every point stated above. But, a win is a win. And I believe that an ugly win is better than a beautiful loss. Congrats to the Huskies for being regular season champs. Now onto Providence.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Edwards came close to having a double-double in the first quarter so clearly her production diminished as the game went on - which is not to say that she wasn’t still making great contributions with her defense.

I know she was being mobbed and I thought she was showing some signs of tiredness as a result - a few times she seemed to lose control of the ball in situations where this rarely happens.

Which is why I was puzzled that Geno didn’t sub in Brady to give her an occasional rest.

Reaction Score
She's lucky she didn't get T'd up, twice. She mouthed off at Olsen, after Olsen got called for a foul.And she got in Dalce's face, after the Dalce-Edwards encounter. The cool,calm Paige has really become much more demonstrative. I prefer the cool, calm Paige.
It’s quite okay to be demonstrative, and I love the fact that our battered teammates stand up for each other. Being nice all the time just doesn’t work. And so sometimes when people push you around, you just have to shove them on their backside(s), to let them know you’re no pushover.

Reaction Score
"No one had a good game"

Geno did.

Play of the game: Geno Auriemma, timeout
"No one had a good game"

Geno did.

Play of the game: Geno Auriemma, timeout, 3+ minutes Into 4th Q.

, 3+ minutes Into 4th Q.
Paige had a good game. 31 pts on 11-15 shooting. This is what so-called physical games look like. If Ash had a better shooting night, Villanova couldn’t have played that way. But this is what was possible.

Nika had a couple of clutch baskets in the 4th to hold off the last Villanova run and then Paige slammed the door.

And we played ferocious defense. Ice didn’t play much which was noticeable. No idea why.
Hard fought game. Nova was playing for their NCAA lives. Bottom line, we have Paige and they didn't. Thumbs down on the refs. Geno should complain to the BE brass.

Oh and held BE leading scorer Lucy Olsen to 6 points on 2-16 shooting. That's some defense!!

Not sure anyone really had a good game save for Paige. At least that's what my eye test said, then you look up and we won by 21. Like I said, hard fought and not pretty. Nova does that to you tho...
"No one had a good game"

Geno did.

Play of the game: Geno Auriemma, timeout, 3+ minutes Into 4th Q.
Lol have to agree with geno
Few observations seeing the game live
While Villanova is well
Coached and plays hard they have very limited
Talent
Paige has the ball with 15 seconds left before
Half time and passes the ball off ugh
The bench is non existent
Assuming it was a bad matchup for ice as Villanova, plays five guards and that’s why she didn’t get much playing time
Quadence not ready at all defensively
Curious why Geno does not
Play Ines except for end of game
While she is not as talented as some of the other players, when she does play, she doesn’t seem to make mistakes

Usually give the refs a pass but not tonight
The missed call in q-4 on AE at midcourt
Was bizarre but they saw enough to ck to see if it was flagrant but not call a common foul
The 3rd foul on Paige was laughable

The lack of talent in the big east this year
Is profound /not playing against talented
Athletic teams with size hurts UConn tremendously

And I would be remiss in not saying that it’s just sad to see all the injured players sitting on the bench

Reaction Score
Lol have to agree with geno
Few observations seeing the game live
While Villanova is well
Coached and plays hard they have very limited
Talent
Paige has the ball with 15 seconds left before
Half time and passes the ball off ugh
The bench is non existent
Assuming it was a bad matchup for ice as Villanova, plays five guards and that’s why she didn’t get much playing time
Quadence not ready at all defensively
Curious why Geno does not
Play Ines except for end of game
While she is not as talented as some of the other players, when she does play, she doesn’t seem to make mistakes

Usually give the refs a pass but not tonight
The missed call in q-4 on AE at midcourt
Was bizarre but they saw enough to ck to see if it was flagrant but not call a common foul
The 3rd foul on Paige was laughable

The lack of talent in the big east this year
Is profound /not playing against talented
Athletic teams with size hurts UConn tremendously

And I would be remiss in not saying that it’s just sad to see all the injured players sitting on the bench
Lots of questionable calls tonight, but the no call between Dalce and Edwards was correct from my view. Not sure why Edwards ended up on the floor though. Looked like Dalce was just keeping AE from saving the ball. It was chippy between those two all night.

Reaction Score
Lots of questionable calls tonight, but the no call between Dalce and Edwards was correct from my view. Not sure why Edwards ended up on the floor though. Looked like Dalce was just keeping AE from saving the ball. It was chippy between those two all night.
It’s been chippy between them for a while now

Reaction Score
She ended up on the floor because Dalce
Grabbed her arm and pushed her
I didn’t think it was chippy at all as Dalce
Played 2 min in the first half with fouls
And maybe 4 min in second half

Reaction Score
I think our Huskies' legs are shot!
That's why most of their 3's were short and missed a bunch of layups as there is no spring left in their legs!
Even with last week off between games the legs are tired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom