Uconn v MD in the second half | The Boneyard

Uconn v MD in the second half

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but thought it stood on its own (with a few edits - I know commentators and posters here fault MD for not getting it inside in the second half, but I think it is sort of an antidotal fallacy:

On the inside/outside question - in the second half Maryland was 8 - 24 on field goals, 1-5 on threes and Uconn had 7 blocks all of which I think were within 8 feet of the basket. So ... Maryland took 21 2 point shots and made 7 missing 14. That works out to Uconn blocking 50% of Maryland's 2 point misses and 33% of all their second half 2 point shots - pretty astounding numbers! If you subtracted mid range/long range twos from the equation the percentage of blocked shots within 8 feet of the basket is probably 50% and of their missed shots something like 75%. And the number of fouls they drew on those inside shots in the second half on Uconn posts was 3.
I think they went inside quite a lot and when they did, they did not get fouled but did have their shots rejected - Uconn played really good defense on the inside in the second half - so if it wasn't working why do you want them to keep doing it? This also does not include at least two and maybe more turnovers they got when they did try and go inside.

And a 20% 3 point shooting ratio is not excessive especially when down by 10+ points for most of the second half. You could argue that the people taking those outside shots were not the right people, but not that the shots were taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle
Top Bottom